[rec.birds] birdsong recording equipement

bagwill@swe.ncsl.nist.gov (Bob Bagwill) (12/19/90)

Sorry if this is a Frequently Asked Question,  I'm posting this for my father.
What would hardware would you recommend for recording birdsong in the field?
Some one from some Cornell birdsong repository (you can tell I'm up on this stuff :-) recommended a Sony parabolic mike and Marantz recorder for around $900, which sounds a little steep for a beginner.  I suggested he try a Dak or Damart blue-light special and
a Walkman for starters.

--
Bob Bagwill                             NIST
Software Engineering Group/NCSL         Technology Bldg, Room B266

lark@tivoli.UUCP (Lar Kaufman) (12/20/90)

In article <9048@durer.cme.nist.gov> bagwill@swe.ncsl.nist.gov (Bob Bagwill) writes:
>Sorry if this is a Frequently Asked Question,  I'm posting this for my father.
>What would hardware would you recommend for recording birdsong in the field?
>Some one from some Cornell birdsong repository (you can tell I'm up on this stuff :-) recommended a Sony parabolic mike and Marantz recorder for around $900, which sounds a little steep for a beginner.  I suggested he try a Dak or Damart blue-light special and
>a Walkman for starters.

I have been contemplating this problem for some time, with the intent to set
up my own recording system.  I have already tried using a Sony Recording
Walkman for some recordings, with interesting results.  The Recording
Walkman can record in stereo, so when recording an ambiance, the results
were gratifying.  Unfortunately, the Recording Walkman, and just about any
other "blue-light special", has automatic gain control.  Therefore, wind `
noise, that highway over the hill, and other sounds get picked up when the
birds are not singing nearby.  There is no apparent fix for this.

Marantz makes two good units.  One has Dolby B noise reduction and the other
has Dolby B and C.  You may not be terribly interested in noise reduction,
but you will be if you get serious about making and reproducing the recordings.

Another choice is the Sony Walkman Professional, which has the necessary
manual control features.  Unfortunately, all the Sonys have small, fragile
connector jacks.  They are easily damaged by side-loads such as tugging on
a mike cable, and it is easy to snag things in the field...

The very best choices are not available in the USA.  Portable tape recorders
capable of digital recording are available in Japan, but it is unlikely thta
they will be made available here in the near future because of Japanese
manufacturors' sensitivity to the US recording industries lobbying efforts
in protecting copyrights.  Last year I heard an NPR report about a Japanese
birding TV program; the host made his field recordings with a digital
recorder that weighed under 2 pounds.  Note:  this means that non-digital
portable recorders, such as the Marantz and Sony units, will _not_ be getting
more common or cheaper in the future.

As far as the microphone selection goes, you can perhaps get by with a
super-directional mike from DAK.  The best recordings will be done with a
parabolic setup rather than a shot-gun type, however.  And although the
shotgun type is less noticeable than a parabolic mike, some birds will be
quite nervous if they notice a human pointing something at them...

I have planned to build my own mike setup by making a parabola of acrylic
(Plexiglas(tm)) plastic so I can see through it and so it won't attract
undue attention.  The size of the parabola you need depends on the frequency
(pitch) of the bird calls you intend to record.  Unless you intend to
record heron calls, or perhaps the drumming of ruffed grouse, the entire
apparatus should be under 18" in diameter... perhaps a physicist might
be more specific? ...

An audio shop can help you select a mike and advise how to mount it to a
parabola.  The vendor of the acrylic can tell you how to make a mold and
heat the acrylic to form it.  And so it goes.

-lar

--
Lar Kaufman            I would feel more optimistic about a bright future
(voice) 512-329-2455   for man if he spent less time proving that he can