[rec.birds] INDOOR Cockatiels

hubler@tomcat.lerc.nasa.gov (Dale Hubler) (12/24/90)

In article <1443@acf5.NYU.EDU> gonzalez@acf5.NYU.EDU (maria gonzalez) writes:
>new Cockatiel.  I am making slow progress.  She has stopped hissing when I
>get near her and has started taking food from my hand but does not like being
>handled much.:(
Try holding the seed between the middle finger and thumb and when she takes
food rub the top of her head.  Go against the grain, that is from the back
up to the top.  Birds loved having their head feathers rubbed.  But don't
lose her trust by trying this too much, just do it gradually.

>	New  question:  A lot of small feathers and dry little specks are
>coming off of her.  Is this normal for this time of year --- does it happen all
>year long?  It is not molting I am sure.  Could it be caused by a dietary
>problem??????   I feed her Cockatiel seeds and fresh greens and there is always
>fresh water, though she does not like the larger seeds but prefers to eat only
>the small canary type seed.

It is probably normal feather loss, but only an avian vetinarian could
see the bird and say for sure.  She may be molting, cockatiels are a
dusty sort of bird.  Take the bird to the vet and have it diag-
nosed.  Be sure to take the feathers and 'specks' also.  Birds, and
especially my tiels, love spray millet.  Cockatiels also like sunflower.
A little sunflower doesn't hurt.
>	Thank you in advance for all your help.  I really appreciate it.
>I wish you all the very best for the Holidays and a great New Year!!!!

Merry Christmas to you!

Dale Hubler

--
Dale A. Hubler  ***   hubler@galaxy.lerc.nasa.gov  ***  (216) 977-7014