[rec.birds] INDOR: New bird experiences

rfarris@rfengr.com (Rick Farris) (12/29/90)

[While I'm thinking about it, I'd like to suggest that those
of you net-nazis that find it necessary to waste net
bandwidth by *posting* complaints about lack of the keyword
INDOOR on articles here in r.b consider placing the keyword
"GROUCH" or "COMPLAINER" in your subject so that those of us
who are interested in hearing about birds will not have to
waste our time on your sad lament.]

In article <1990Dec28.150533.15515@cbnewsj.att.com> donnelly@cbnewsj.att.com (jeffrey.m.donnelly) writes:

> We got him home and he freaked out.  Climbed is large cage
> over and over and wouldn't eat.

My Eclectus Parrot did the same thing.  In fact, for two
days he sat in one spot on his perch and wouldn't move.
Finally, late on the second day he began eating.

> He is still a bit nervous about us but getting friendlier
> every day.

My experience with my parrot (I got him in September) is
that they change every day for a while, then every week, and
now I notice big changes in his behavior every month or so.

I've been pretty amused by some of the "common knowledge"
suggestions I've gotten about my bird.  For instance, I was
told to train Xenix (the bird) to get on my hand by feeding
him a treat once he got there.  The theory was that instead
of biting, he'd *want* to get on my hand so he could get the
treat.

Guess what?  Xenix was a hand-raised baby so he was
perfectly willing to get on my hand (usually; I have a few
nice scars), but he sure-as-hell wasn't about to eat
anything that I poked in his face.

In fact, he only started accepting bites of things I was
eating 4 weeks ago and then he would only take it while he
was sitting on his cage.  Any other attempts to get near his
head with food was a sure way to a bitten finger.

*Finally* this morning he consented to sit on my hand and
share my apple with me. :-)

--
Rick Farris  RF Engineering POB M Del Mar, CA 92014  voice (619) 259-6793
rfarris@rfengr.com     ...!ucsd!serene!rfarris      serenity bbs 259-7757