[rec.birds] Miami-Ft. Lauderdale birding--info request

tjo@spitfire.siemens.com (Tom Ostrand) (01/09/91)

I'll be in SE Florida for 10 days at the end of January.  Does anyone
know of organized birding trips, perhaps run by the local
Audubon Society chapter, that exist at this time of year?
Special pointers to particularly good areas to visit would
also be appreciated.  Of course, I know about the Everglades:
this request is for local spots, less than a one hour drive
from Ft. Lauderdale.
--
	--- Tom Ostrand 	Siemens Corp. Research ---

sandee@sun16.scri.fsu.edu (Daan Sandee) (01/11/91)

In article <tjo.663353482@spitfire.siemens.com> tjo@spitfire.siemens.com (Tom Ostrand) writes:

>I'll be in SE Florida for 10 days at the end of January.  Does anyone
>know of organized birding trips, perhaps run by the local
>Audubon Society chapter, that exist at this time of year?

Call
 Tropical Audubon House, 5530 SW 72 Street, South Miami, (305)666-5111.
  Mon 9-3, TueWedThuFri 9-5. They have a tape with info if you call them
  out of hours.

>Special pointers to particularly good areas to visit would
>also be appreciated.  Of course, I know about the Everglades:
>this request is for local spots, less than a one hour drive
>from Ft. Lauderdale.

What you need is
a. Jim Lane, "A Birder's Guide to Florida". Still the visiting birder's
   bible. Not for sale in regular stores ; available at bookshops at
   Visitor Centers at Everglades Nat Pk and local NWR's (Loxahatchee).
   Presumably also at Trop.Aud.Soc. (see above). If you want it before you
   leave, call ABA Sales at 1-800-634-7736 (9 to 6 MST 7 days a week). They
   accept phone orders.
b. Connie Toops & Willard Dilley, "Birds of South Florida".
    This specifically lists (sub)urban Miami/FtL birding spots.
   You *might* find that at the local B Dalton, if not, see above.