[rec.birds] INDOOR: Grey's Plucking Tendencies

susans@cfi.COM (susans) (01/11/91)

In article <LORRAINE.91Jan10223024@beach.csulb.edu> lorraine@beach.csulb.edu (Lorraine) writes:
>I have both an African Grey and a red lored Amazon, and
>actually have more feather-plucking problems with the latter
>than the former. And I think BIRDTALK did Greys a disservice
>by implying that their imitative ability is their primary asset--
>if someone wants mere imitation, he or she should get a mynah bird.

	I read the BirdTalk article, and I think you're being
	a little too sensitive.  I think it was a very complimentary
	article, and given that it's title was something like
	"Who are the best talkers," what would you expect
	the article to focus on??

	As to Mynahs, I've read, and been told by a budgie breeder
	that owns a fantastic Mynah, that they don't learn anything new
	after about their first year.  That is, do NOT buy a
	non-talking Mynah that is over a year of age, or you will
	be stuck with a messy eater/pooper that won't talk, you
	can't really play with, and won't particularly enjoy!
	His Mynah, Al, is incredible!  He can speak in at least three
	distinct voices: a child, his owner, and someone who sounds
	like he could star in horror films.  He lives in the man's
	shop, and I always visit him when I stop in to buy food.

--
                        Susan S. (susans@cfi.com)

                        Another Friend of Bill's