[rec.birds] Six-pack rings

awesley@egrunix.UUCP (Tony Wesley) (12/19/90)

In article <13256@milton.u.washington.edu> jespah@milton.u.washington.edu (Kathleen Hunt) writes:
>One other note:  before you throw those six-pack rings from beer and sodas
>in the trash, snip them up!  It takes only a moment to do.  You don't have
        ^^^^^
>to cut it into a million little pieces -- just do one snip through each
>of the circles (including the little tiny circles in the center), so that
>any animal that gets its head through the rings will not get stuck.  This
>can be a real life-saver, literally!

Kathleen, I do this too, altho I never thought about the little
circles in the center.  But, isn't this one of those things that we do
just to feel good about ourselves?  If I put the six-pack ring in the
trash, it stays in a plastic bag until it goes to the incinerator.  If
your trash is landfilled and not incinerated, your six pack ring would
be buried.  In either case, I don't see where it is harmful to
wildlife.

The real problem is with the slobs who litter.  It's the six-pack ring that
is tossed out along the road, trail, campsite, river, beach, whatever that
will cause the problem.  I don't see a way of educating litterers to cut
their six-pack rings before littering.  Perhaps they can be educated to stop
littering.  Until that day, I will continue to pick up litter on my walks.

In my opinion, the best solution is for manufacturers to use those
so-called "biodegradable plastics" for six-pack rings.  This is one of
the very few bona fide uses for those plastics.

--
And little Sir John with his nut brown bowl        Tony Wesley/RPT Software
                And his brandy in the glass        voice: (313) 274-2080

dgraham@kean.ucs.mun.ca (David Graham) (12/21/90)

In article <743@egrunix.UUCP>, awesley@egrunix.UUCP (Tony Wesley) writes:
> In article <13256@milton.u.washington.edu>
jespah@milton.u.washington.edu (Kathleen Hunt) writes:
>>One other note:  before you throw those six-pack rings from beer and sodas
>>in the trash, snip them up!  It takes only a moment to do.  You don't have
>         ^^^^^
>>to cut it into a million little pieces -- just do one snip through each
>>of the circles (including the little tiny circles in the center), so that
>>any animal that gets its head through the rings will not get stuck.  This
>>can be a real life-saver, literally!
>
> Kathleen, I do this too, altho I never thought about the little
> circles in the center.  But, isn't this one of those things that we do
> just to feel good about ourselves?  If I put the six-pack ring in the
> trash, it stays in a plastic bag until it goes to the incinerator.  If
> your trash is landfilled and not incinerated, your six pack ring would
> be buried.  In either case, I don't see where it is harmful to
> wildlife.

Well, I don't know about your local landfill, but ours is swarming
with Herring and Greater Black-backed Gulls, American Crows, Northern
Ravens all year round, and lots of other gulls and various raptors
according to season. I suspect that a lot of stuff doesn't get buried
right away, but lies on the surface for some time, where it can do
damage.

I agree that litter is probably worse, though...

   David Graham					dgraham@kean.ucs.mun.ca

rmura@world.std.com (Ron Mura) (12/22/90)

In article <173163@kean.ucs.mun.ca> dgraham@kean.ucs.mun.ca (David Graham) writes:

> Well, I don't know about your local landfill, but ours is swarming
> with Herring and Greater Black-backed Gulls, American Crows, Northern
> Ravens all year round, and lots of other gulls and various raptors
> according to season. I suspect that a lot of stuff doesn't get buried
> right away, but lies on the surface for some time, where it can do
> damage.

Very true.  I have seen herring gulls with six-pack rings wrapped around
them.
--
- Ron Mura, Boston, Mass.                   rmura@world.std.com

kuento@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (01/13/91)

In article <743@egrunix.UUCP>, awesley@egrunix.UUCP (Tony Wesley) writes:

> The real problem is with the slobs who litter.  It's the six-pack ring that
> is tossed out along the road, trail, campsite, river, beach, whatever that
> will cause the problem.  I don't see a way of educating litterers to cut
> their six-pack rings before littering.  Perhaps they can be educated to stop
> littering.  Until that day, I will continue to pick up litter on my walks.
>
> In my opinion, the best solution is for manufacturers to use those
> so-called "biodegradable plastics" for six-pack rings.  This is one of
> the very few bona fide uses for those plastics.

In my opinion, the best thing to do is to not buy things in sixpacks.
Buy 2 liter bottles, kegs, glass, or even packs of cans/bottles that
come in cardboard packages (altho this also generates unrecyclable
packaging trash)

The key to reducing our impact on the environment and animals is to
reduce our consumption, all else will follow.

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE, AND REFUSE (to go to war!)

--
------(please include "JDB" in subj header of mail to this user)------
Jim Danoff-Burg     (Snow Museum, Univ. of Kansas, Lawrence, KS 66045)