[rec.birds] Conures

bmg1@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Brett) (10/19/88)

First of all...I don't think the traffic in this group is high
enough to constitute splitting it.
I think we all know how to hit the 'n' key.
enough of that.

I was in a pet store yesterday.
I absolutely fell in love with a Conure they had for sale.
I can't recall the specific variety (They had a smaller Nanaday),
but it was hand-fed, about 4 months old and incredibly friendly.
I couldn't believe it when the sales girl actually held it in her hand
with the bird lying on his back! And he seemed to love it!
I tried it. Same reaction. He loved having his tummy rubbed.
When I put him on my shoulder, he climbed around, made some clucking
noises and played with my hair.  Well...I decided I had to have him.
The price, however, is kinda steep for me.
$540...

Questions: Anyone have any Conure info?
Conure anecdotes?  Conure advice?
I currently pal around with Bonzo, a gray cockatiel (3 1/2 years running...)
Any conflict there?
The bird seems healthy, although I would investigate further.
He's about small parrot size, mostly green with red around the head (i think)
Does this price seem about right?

brett (and Bonzo)
bmg1@uhura.cc.rochester.edu

jtb901@leah.Albany.Edu (Jim) (10/19/88)

In article <192@ur-cc.UUCP>, bmg1@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Brett) writes:

> First of all...I don't think the traffic in this group is high
> enough to constitute splitting it.
> I think we all know how to hit the 'n' key.
> enough of that.

  Hear hear.

> Conure anecdotes?  Conure advice?

Well, Brett, just don't do something silly like sell your guitar and amp
for it, okay?  8^)  Sorry.... couldn't resist.  Carry on.
--
     | BITNET:   jtb901@albny1vx        | "I can see the future,           |
     |           jtb901@albnyvm1        |  and it's a place about 70 miles |

gnome@olivey.olivetti.com (Gary) (10/20/88)

From article <192@ur-cc.UUCP>, by bmg1@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Brett):

> When I put him on my shoulder, he climbed around, made some clucking
> noises and played with my hair.  Well...I decided I had to have him.
> The price, however, is kinda steep for me.
> $540...

Well, first of all, conures (to use a phrase from Chuq) are nuclear
powered airhorns that can blast your ears out when they want to.

> Conure anecdotes?  Conure advice?
> He's about small parrot size, mostly green with red around the head (i think)
> Does this price seem about right?
> brett (and Bonzo)

Sounds like it could be a gold-cap (maybe) which is what my guy is.
And that would explain the price, since gold-caps are hard to
find, not hard to breed, just hard to find.

Birdie (no comments on the name, please) is very intelligent and
loves to "help" me while I'm working on things by hanging off the
front of my shirt, getting a close look at things and making
comments in conurese -- sentences like "Fez ack sez iss fiss?"
or "Ack fez ex ass gest!" (?)
He also translates for me while I'm talking about important
issues.

Birdie sleeps either under the covers with me or under a facecloth
in his cage at night (I guess gold-caps sleep in tree-holes in the
wild).  He's a poop-on-command bird, like his step-brother Syd, a
lesser sulpher-crested cockatoo.  Because he doesn't like to
poop in his cage, he tends to unload about 1/10th of his body
weight in the morning -- so it's the first thing I do with him
in the morning is to hold him over the toilet and tell him
to "go for it!"

Recently, Birdie has gotten very intolerant about having strangers
in his territory to the point where he can't really be left out
of his cage (or my hand) when people are over.

As far as rolling-over and things like that, I'll sometimes flip
him over and try to tickle him under his wings.  He acts just
like a puppy and gets all fluffed-up and excited.

He's a great bird and I'd really like to find him an unrelated
gold-cap female, but goldcaps are pretty rare.  I'm still
looking.

Gary

bmg1@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Brett) (10/21/88)

In article <31019@oliveb.olivetti.com> you write:

>Well, first of all, conures (to use a phrase from Chuq) are nuclear
>powered airhorns that can blast your ears out when they want to.

I'm looking forward to it. 8^)

>Sounds like it could be a gold-cap (maybe) which is what my guy is.
>And that would explain the price, since gold-caps are hard to
>find, not hard to breed, just hard to find.

I went back to the pet store where they had him.
The sign said it's a Mitred Conure.

>Gary

Thanks for the info Gary...

Brett

--
^v^v^v^v^v^v^
>Brett Goldstock>
UUCP: bmg1@uhura.cc.rochester.edu.UUCP            Bitnet: bmg1_ss@uordbv.bitnet
      rochester!ur-cc!bmg1
"I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space."

crouse@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (James Crouse) (01/11/91)

Hello,
I have just purchased a Brown Throated Conure.
I have read several books on parrots and they have had some info on this bird.
Does anyone have much info on the Conures ?
He is about 7-8 months old, is a domestic, has been to the Vet and is in good
health. He is also a bitter from time to time,and is a real screamer.
Any info would be very helpful.

Thanks
Jim Crouse
Univ. of Illinois
email to....  crouse@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

bsp@hpfcso.HP.COM (Bruce Spence) (01/17/91)

   Get "Bird Talk" magazine.  A recent (maybe the current;  I can't recall)
 issue had a long article specifically on conures.

			Bruce Spence
			bsp@hpfibsp.hp.com