[rec.birds] INDOOR - Novice questions about pet birds

rmura@world.std.com (Ron Mura) (12/12/90)

yIn article <1990Dec10.190648.13702@cbnewsj.att.com> donnelly@cbnewsj.att.com (jeffrey.m.donnelly) writes:

> We want a bird who will know and show affection for us and seek the same
> from us.  From our research, cockatiels seem to fit this general description.
>
> 1. Is a cockatiel a good match for inexperienced bird owners.  Are they
>    hard to care for?

Not really, but in general people underestimate the amount of care
that a pet will require.  If it gets ill, for example, you may have
to force-feed medicine into its beak twice a day for weeks, even months.
(This is true of most birds, not just cockatiels.)

> 2. The bird would be alone during the day M-F.  Is this bad for the bird
>    I.e would it be cruel to leave it alone 9 hours a day?

Probably not cruel, but not ideal either.  They are social creatures
and like company.  If you have to leave it alone, consider leaving a
radio on.

> 3. Do cockatiels like a cage or would it rather live an a larger enclosed
>    area?  Friends from way back owned a large parrot.  They had a natural
>    like setting in the corner in their living room with rope netting as
>    a boundary.  Would a bird love this?

Yes, it would like an open area or very large cage.  Watch out for
windows and mirrors, which inexperienced or frightened birds may fly into.
Also, some birds gnaw wood or even electrical cords.

> 4. Do they need consistent daytime/nighttime hours?  Would the bird rather
>    be with us in the living room at night while we watch tv or read or would
>    it rather sleep in the dark in the evening?

A matter of discussion.  I think they do need consistent hours from day
to day, but that 12 hours of darkness are not required.  I've read that
young birds need more sleep, so they shouldn't be allowed to stay up late
with you; don't know if that is true or not.

> 5. What age bird should we look to get?  I'm looking for a lower and upper
>    bound.  Any specific things to look out for? (like never get one with
>    glossy eyes cause its sick)

If you want it to bond with you, a young bird is probably easier, unless
the bird is already tame of course.  I would watch out for a bird with
any discharge around the cere/nose.  Loose droppings are often a bad sign.
Tail bobbing is a sign a respiratory distress in parakeets; I'm not sure
if that is also true of cockatiels.

> 6. Lastly, where's the best place to get a bird?  Mall, breeder...?
>    If you live in south New Jersey (monmouth/ocean) what bird stores are good?
>    Have you heard about "Bird Jungle"?

I would avoid pet stores, especially the chain stores (even if you
get a healthy bird from them, many use inhumane practices).  I would
try a breeder.  If there is an avian vet in your area, you could ask
for recommendations.  Actually, my first choice (since I wouldn't mind
an older bird) would be an animal shelter.  They don't get as many
birds as other pets, but they let you handle them, etc., to see if
there is "a fit" and you help a creature that few people want.

One other thing:  always give your bird vegetables--fresh ones every day.

--
- Ron Mura, Boston, Mass.                   rmura@world.std.com

ellen@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (Ellen Osinski) (12/15/90)

Subject: Re: INDOOR - Novice questions about pet birds

> One other thing:  always give your bird vegetables--fresh ones every day.

Our bird REFUSES to eat veggies, fruit, rice,...  And we have given up trying
to force her.  We tried the route of 'forcing' her by removing her other
food for a few days.  She would rather starve then eat soft, mushy, strange-
looking stuff.  She is 5 years old and very healthy and strong because she is
free to fly around.  She gets bird vitamins in her water every day.

I have read that because wild cockatiels are so secretive in their
behavior in the wild that not much is known about their diet.  It is not
known whether they are strict seed eaters or not.

 Ellen
    and
       Jasmine (Ruler of the roost)

rmura@world.std.com (Ron Mura) (12/16/90)

In article <2730005@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com> ellen@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (Ellen Osinski) writes:

>> One other thing:  always give your bird vegetables--fresh ones every day.
>
> Our bird REFUSES to eat veggies, fruit, rice,...  And we have given up trying
> to force her.  We tried the route of 'forcing' her by removing her other
> food for a few days.  She would rather starve then eat soft, mushy, strange-
> looking stuff.  She is 5 years old and very healthy and strong because she is
> free to fly around.  She gets bird vitamins in her water every day.

In the wild birds learn from observing other birds, so it sometimes hard
to get a bird to eat new things if there aren't others around setting an
example.  I agree that I wouldn't try to "force" the bird, but I would keep
trying.  Sometimes birds will "bathe" in wet greens, then learn to have fun
tearing vegetables apart, and then finally to eat a little bit in the
process.  Still, maybe some birds will never catch on...

Sounds like your bird is doing pretty well with exercise and vitamins.

--
- Ron Mura, Boston, Mass.                   rmura@world.std.com

bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) (12/16/90)

In article <2730005@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com> ellen@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (Ellen Osinski) writes:
>Subject: Re: INDOOR - Novice questions about pet birds
>
>> One other thing:  always give your bird vegetables--fresh ones every day.
>
>Our bird REFUSES to eat veggies, fruit, rice,...  And we have given up trying
>to force her.  We tried the route of 'forcing' her by removing her other
>food for a few days.  She would rather starve then eat soft, mushy, strange-

Well, you came pretty close to the death alternative. You should *never* deny
food to a bird. Their digestive systems cannot take fasting.

Bob Church
bchurch@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu

hubler@tomcat.lerc.nasa.gov (Dale Hubler) (12/17/90)

In article <2730005@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com> ellen@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (Ellen Osinski) writes:
>> One other thing:  always give your bird vegetables--fresh ones every day.
>
>Our bird REFUSES to eat veggies, fruit, rice,...  And we have given up trying

     Try mixing the seeds with the vegetables, rice, etc.  If the bird must
pick through the healthy stuff to get the seeds, it may learn that it likes
soft food.  Try mixing vegetables, cheese, beans or greens in Jiffy corn
bread batter and baking per directions on box.  The bird may like that.
Perseverance and creativity are very important in modifying a birds diet
and a few attempts (or even 50) may not be enough.  Keep trying for the
birds sake, they are not always particularly willing.

--
Dale A. Hubler  ***   hubler@galaxy.lerc.nasa.gov  ***  (216) 433-5649

ooblick@intercon.com (Mikki Barry) (12/17/90)

In article <2707@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU> bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) writes:

>Well, you came pretty close to the death alternative. You should *never* deny
>food to a bird. Their digestive systems cannot take fasting.

Very true!  I don't know how many stories I've heard of people inadvertently
starving their birds to death trying to get them to switch their food.  I'm
really glad that this didn't happen here because the owner was smart enough
to see that it wasn't doing the bird any good to try to force it.

However, I have a few suggestions.  First, if you are converting a bird
from seed to pellets, do it gradually, over a 4 week period or more.
Start either with offering pellets only during the morning, then after an
hour or two, remove the pellets and offer a 50/50 mix of seed to pellets.
Gradually cut down on the amount of seed and increase the amount of pellets.
But be sure to do this over a long period of time, and watch the bird's
droppings.  If the droppings are predominantly green, the bird is NOT eating
the pellets and you should make sure that there are enough seeds to sustain
him.  Birds can be really finicky.

If you are happy with feeding seeds, there are a few ways to add more
nutrition to the diet.  One is by feeding nekton-s in the water (or on
the food) and adding vionate minerals.  Another way is to give peanut
butter sandwiches (cut really small for cockatiels), corn bread with
nekton and vionate baked in, pasta (many birds are just wild over pasta),
kale (I've never seen a cockatiel refuse kale...I'm sure there's one
somewhere in the world :-)), spinach, or offer the bird a bite of an apple
or banana that YOU are eating.  If the bird sees you eating it, he knows that
it's food.  Oftentimes, birds won't eat pellets or new foods because they
don't identify it as food.  If YOU eat it, then a tame bird will get the idea.
Especially if you often give treats from your plate.

Mikki Barry
mommy to 35 cockatiels (and counting)

ellen@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (Ellen Osinski) (12/17/90)

>>> One other thing:  always give your bird vegetables--fresh ones every day.
>>
>>Our bird REFUSES to eat veggies, fruit, rice,...  And we have given up trying
>>to force her.  We tried the route of 'forcing' her by removing her other
>>food for a few days.  She would rather starve then eat soft, mushy, strange-
>
>Well, you came pretty close to the death alternative. You should *never* deny
>food to a bird. Their digestive systems cannot take fasting.

Not at all.  I gave in well before she did.  BTW this method was the 'method
of choice' recommended by a local well-known bird breeder!

Ellen
  and
    Jasmine (Ruler of the roost)

hubler@tomcat.lerc.nasa.gov (Dale Hubler) (12/19/90)

In article <276CE3AE.3CB6@intercon.com> ooblick@intercon.com (Mikki Barry) writes:

> corn bread with
>nekton and vionate baked in, pasta (many birds are just wild over pasta),

      That is a subject I have always wondered about.  When I bake corn
bread for my birds I add various foods that I have at hand.  I also add
powdered kelp, which I believe is high in minerals.  If I add some
vitamins such as vionate or nekton, does the heat in the oven destroy
the vitamin content?  Has anybody studied this or even have an
intuitive feel?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Dale Hubler

--
Dale A. Hubler  ***   hubler@galaxy.lerc.nasa.gov  ***  (216) 977-7014

freds@legs.UUCP (Fred Sieg) (12/19/90)

in article <2707@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU>, bchurch@oucsace.cs.OHIOU.EDU (Bob Church) says:

>>Our bird REFUSES to eat veggies, fruit, rice,...  And we have given up trying
>>to force her.  We tried the route of 'forcing' her by removing her other
>>food for a few days.  She would rather starve then eat soft, mushy, strange-

One of our cockatoos is the also very finicky. Seed, corn, and papaya.
Offer her anything else and she responds by running away with a
disgusted look.

> Well, you came pretty close to the death alternative. You should *never* deny
> food to a bird. Their digestive systems cannot take fasting.

This may be overreacting. We tried taking all her favorites away in
order to force her to eat other things. After 36 hours of not eating
anything, WE gave in 'cause we couldn't stand seeing her go hungry.
Our vet ( a VERY good avian vet) tells us they can go three days without
any problem.

> Bob Church
> bchurch@oucsace.cs.ohiou.edu
--
Fred Sieg 		|  freds@ast.com -or- ...!uunet!legs!freds
AST Research Inc.	|  Fax: (714) 727-9358 Tel: (714) 727-8465

helen@argosy.UUCP (Helen Kastner) (12/20/90)

>>> One other thing:  always give your bird vegetables--fresh ones every day.
>>
>>Our bird REFUSES to eat veggies, fruit, rice,...  And we have given up trying
>
>     Try mixing the seeds with the vegetables, rice, etc.  If the bird must

The best way to get my cockatoo to try new foods is to
eat them in front of him.  Unfortunately, he likes junk
just as much as the rest of us--pepperoni pizza, chili
verde burritos (especially the meat)--but he will still
eat just about anything I have, including veggies.
He likes mashed stuff--potatoes (white and yellow), mushed
peas and carrots, etc.
 But you'd be amazed at
how far he can fling food he doesn't like--brussel sprouts
flew across the room.

hk

ooblick@intercon.com (Mikki Barry) (12/25/90)

In article <3175@legs.UUCP> freds@legs.UUCP (Fred Sieg) writes:

>This may be overreacting. We tried taking all her favorites away in
>order to force her to eat other things. After 36 hours of not eating
>anything, WE gave in 'cause we couldn't stand seeing her go hungry.
>Our vet ( a VERY good avian vet) tells us they can go three days without
>any problem.

Um, I don't want to start a "my vet is better than your vet" fight,
but keeping food away from a bird for three days is really stupid.
A bird's metabolism is so much faster than a humans, that it would
be like keeping food away from a human for a week.  Without any problem?
WRONG!

Sorry for the pissy tone, but I have seen too many "very good" avian
vets kill birds.  Telling owners that their bird can go without food
for three days sends up a clear signal to me that this person is a quack.

Remember, all it takes to say you are an avian vet is a membership in
the Association of Avian Veterinarians.  They do NOT check credentials.

Mikki Barry

hubler@tomcat.lerc.nasa.gov (Dale Hubler) (12/26/90)

In article <27766494.2CA@intercon.com> ooblick@intercon.com (Mikki Barry) writes:
>In article <3175@legs.UUCP> freds@legs.UUCP (Fred Sieg) writes:
>
>>This may be overreacting. We tried taking all her favorites away in
>>order to force her to eat other things. After 36 hours of not eating
>>anything, WE gave in 'cause we couldn't stand seeing her go hungry.
>>Our vet ( a VERY good avian vet) tells us they can go three days without
     ?????????^^^^???????????
>>any problem.

Would you deny food to your dog for 3 days in an attempt to change its diet?

Would you deny food to the cat for 3 days?

How about 3 days for yourself

What vet would recommend 3 days for any animal?

If you must try the hunger/starvation route for diet modification, then
deny the favored food during the daytime.  In the evening you should
relent and return the favored food to the cage, whether the bird has
tried the new food or not.  They really do need to eat every day.

--
Dale A. Hubler  ***   hubler@galaxy.lerc.nasa.gov  ***  (216) 977-7014

freds@legs.UUCP (Fred Sieg) (12/29/90)

in article <1990Dec26.143531.15098@eagle.lerc.nasa.gov>, hubler@tomcat.lerc.nasa.gov (Dale Hubler) says:

> In article <27766494.2CA@intercon.com> ooblick@intercon.com (Mikki Barry) writes:
>>In article <3175@legs.UUCP> freds@legs.UUCP (Fred Sieg) writes:
>>
>>>This may be overreacting. We tried taking all her favorites away in
>>>order to force her to eat other things. After 36 hours of not eating
>>>anything, WE gave in 'cause we couldn't stand seeing her go hungry.
>>>Our vet ( a VERY good avian vet) tells us they can go three days without
>      ?????????^^^^???????????
>>>any problem.
>>
> Would you deny food to your dog for 3 days in an attempt to change its diet?
> Would you deny food to the cat for 3 days?
>
> How about 3 days for yourself

We did not deny food. We took away her standard fare and offered a
multitude of other foods. In fact, she had more food available during
this time than usual. She chose not to eat it. The vet said that she
might and could have gone for three days without harm.

> What vet would recommend 3 days for any animal?

The same vet that takes care of the birds at Universal Studios and runs
a raptor rehab center. He has taken care of our two healthy, happy
cockatoos through illness and accident. I would take his advice and more
importantly, in this context, pass his opinion to other net folks any
day.

Addressing a dietary problem under the care of a physician is not
stupid. A vet with these credentials is not a quack.
I am not a vet and don't presume to know better. I did find a VERY good
avian vet to entrust the care of our "children" to and heed his advice.

Fred

--

ooblick@intercon.com (Mikki Barry) (01/01/91)

In article <3182@legs.UUCP>, freds@legs.UUCP (Fred Sieg) writes:
> We did not deny food. We took away her standard fare and offered a
> multitude of other foods. In fact, she had more food available during
> this time than usual. She chose not to eat it. The vet said that she
> might and could have gone for three days without harm.

That's a pretty bold statement for any vet to make.  And I don't see any
difference between witholding food, and witholding food the bird will eat.
After one day, one of my Moluccans lost approximately 15% of his body weight.
The bird was tubed to maintain his health.

> The same vet that takes care of the birds at Universal Studios and runs
> a raptor rehab center. He has taken care of our two healthy, happy
> cockatoos through illness and accident. I would take his advice and more
> importantly, in this context, pass his opinion to other net folks any
> day.
>
> Addressing a dietary problem under the care of a physician is not
> stupid. A vet with these credentials is not a quack.
> I am not a vet and don't presume to know better. I did find a VERY good
> avian vet to entrust the care of our "children" to and heed his advice.

Unfortunately, credentials or no, many vets ARE quacks.  Take, for example,
a vet that bills himself as an "expert" with multiple letters after his name
in this area.  54% of all the birds he ever put under anesthesia died.

Your vet may be wonderful, full of knowledge, and the one of the greatest
people in the world.  However, I still maintain that advising a client that
3 days without food is ok, is reckless.

Mikki Barry

--

rjacobs@gara.une.oz.au ( ABRI) (01/02/91)

The discussion about fasting a bird for 3 days is an interesting one,
because it invokes a knowledge of avian physiology and behaviour which
is lacking in many of us.

I know very little about cockatoos, but the vet who advised food to be
with held from the cockatoo may have been right or wrong. He is a vet
with experience with raptors and it is common to remove food from
medium size to large size birds of prey for several days in order to
get them to come to the fist. My first Harris Hawk refused to eat for
7 days before she would eat off my fist. Although, this is quite worrying
for a beginner, raptors will rarely starve themselves to death.

In the case of the cockatoo (as in the case of raptors) I guess the length
of period that it is safe to fast depends on the birds condition, weight,
metabolism, room temperature, health etc. In general smaller birds need to
eat more regularly than larger ones and therefore, smaller birds can't be
fasted as long as larger birds. Since the cockatoo had food available, I
guess it never got hungry enough to try the newer food. I didn't see the
original posting, so I don't know what was done to introduce the new food.
But it may have been better to introduce the new food slowly by adding with
the old food and/or letting the bird eat in close proximity to a bird
who did eat the new food.

So I can't still can't pass an opinion whether the vet was right or wrong.
A 15% loss in body weight by the cockatoo that was ill would be worrying,
but since the bird was ill the loss in weight was much higher than you'd
expect in a healthy sedentry cockatoo.

hubler@tomcat.lerc.nasa.gov (Dale Hubler) (01/02/91)

In article <3182@legs.UUCP> freds@legs.UUCP (Fred Sieg) writes:

>We did not deny food. We took away her standard fare and offered a
>multitude of other foods. In fact, she had more food available during
>this time than usual. She chose not to eat it. The vet said that she
>might and could have gone for three days without harm.
>
>The same vet that takes care of the birds at Universal Studios and runs
>a raptor rehab center. He has taken care of our two healthy, happy
>cockatoos through illness and accident. I would take his advice and more
>importantly, in this context, pass his opinion to other net folks any
>day.
>
>Addressing a dietary problem under the care of a physician is not
>stupid. A vet with these credentials is not a quack.
>I am not a vet and don't presume to know better. I did find a VERY good
>avian vet to entrust the care of our "children" to and heed his advice.

     I apologize for trying to make my point in a sarcastic manner.
I was really trying to point out that 3 days of starvation seems
rather drastic for any type of animal, let alone a bird with a higher
metabolism than us.  I still believe that 3 days is very severe on
a bird.  How would you feel after three days?  I am sure it would
not kill you, but it does seem to be a rather harsh way to force you
to eat new foods.  If the bird does not recognize the new items as
food, then they are not food.  It is not that she does not choose to
eat the food, she genuinely does not know it is food.  Being a vet
at a raptor rehab center does not necessarily mean that he knows all
about pet birds.  I believe raptors and tropical birds have very
different diets and needs.  My vet has made mistakes, I have made
mistakes, and I am sure most others have also, including your vet.
I would go so far as to suggest that you discuss this with your vet
and let him further consider this opinion.  I believe the best way
to modify a birds diet is to rely on our superior creativity and
intelligence to "trick" them into trying new foods.  Sometimes this
can be done by letting the bird go hungry for a short time.  Three days
does seem a bit too much.

Dale Hubler

--
Dale A. Hubler  ***   hubler@galaxy.lerc.nasa.gov  ***  (216) 977-7014

ooblick@intercon.com (Mikki Barry) (01/04/91)

In article <5120@gara.une.oz.au>, rjacobs@gara.une.oz.au ( ABRI) writes:
> So I can't still can't pass an opinion whether the vet was right or wrong.
> A 15% loss in body weight by the cockatoo that was ill would be worrying,
> but since the bird was ill the loss in weight was much higher than you'd
> expect in a healthy sedentry cockatoo.

That doesn't really follow.  Illness shouldn't have anything to do with the
amount of weight lost.  Food intake is the only reason a bird would lose
weight unless he has a condition that robs the bird of nutrition.  The cockatoo
had a bacterial infection that had no relation to the amount of weight lost.

Mikki Barry
--

rjacobs@gara.une.oz.au ( ABRI) (01/04/91)

In article <2783609A.4D73@intercon.com>, ooblick@intercon.com (Mikki Barry) writes:
> In article <5120@gara.une.oz.au>, rjacobs@gara.une.oz.au ( ABRI) writes:
> > So I can't still can't pass an opinion whether the vet was right or wrong.
> > A 15% loss in body weight by the cockatoo that was ill would be worrying,
> > but since the bird was ill the loss in weight was much higher than you'd
> > expect in a healthy sedentry cockatoo.
>
> That doesn't really follow.  Illness shouldn't have anything to do with the
> amount of weight lost.  Food intake is the only reason a bird would lose
> weight unless he has a condition that robs the bird of nutrition.  The cockatoo
> had a bacterial infection that had no relation to the amount of weight lost.
>
> Mikki Barry
> --
A bacterial infection will increase metabolic rate as the bird attempts
to put its immune response into high gear. The increase in metabolic rate
will lead to an increase in the consumption of metabolic substrates such as
carbohydrates, fats and proteins. If the bird has stopped eating, then these
substrates are supplied by the stores within the birds body rather than
its daily food. In this case, the bird will lose weight faster than if
it
did not suffer an infection. A similar effect is seen in birds during
cold weather. They increase their metabolic rate to maintain body
temperature and therefore need more food to provide the metabolic substrates.
If food is limiting they lose body weight. A bird that is fasted and lives
in a cold climate will lose weight faster than if it lived in a warm climate.

I hope this clears up the matter of the cockatoo.

Ross Jacobs

dkletter@adobe.COM (SUGAR in their vitamins?) (01/05/91)

i'm not sure i understand why the original poster just left the food
with the bird. i mean, birds like cockatoos and other parots don't just
eat anything you hand them just like that. they're like kids. i usually
eat the stuff i want to feed my yellow-naped amazon first so that she
can see that i enjoy it too. not only does this pique her interest, but
it shows her that she can trust me because i am >sharing< my good food,
not forcing weird greens on her. it's the old monkey-see monkey-do trick.
in fact, my cockatiel has taught the amazon to like certain foods and
vice versa simply by watching the other eat it and wanting to be "in"
on this great game.

--
Yes.  Beautiful, wonderful nature.  Hear it sing to us: *snap*  Yes.  natURE.

ron@hpfcso.HP.COM (Ron Miller) (01/18/91)

Re: Finicky eaters

Our finicky eater learned to eat frozen veggies by finding them in his
"treat dish" and was reinforced by watching another bird eat the
scary stuff.  Now he eats most everthing!

Ron