[rec.birds] Egypt

root@cs.su.oz (Deus ex Machina) (01/19/91)

In article <MISAN.91Jan15171157@ra.abo.fi> misan@ra.abo.fi
(Annika Forsten DC) writes:
> Trip to Egypt 1-7.1.1991
> The last day was spent on the coast and in the mountains but we only saw
> 4 more Hooded Wheatears. I have never seen such empty deserts before, there
> were birds only near the Nile and on the coast really, all the desert
> areas we went through were almost completely devoid of life.

I spent a week in June near Sharm-El-Sheik on the Red Sea coast near the tip
of the Sinai. I was amazed at how little life (including birds) was evident
in the desert. I saw 18 species (13 lifers) but most of these were coastal birds
or hanging around the town and its water. Dawn walks into the desert produced
very little - beyond House Crows and beautiful desert Foxes.

Fortunately I was there for the scuba diving which was excellent. The
transition from barren desert to lush coral reef at the shoreline is wonderful.
I did manage to get among feeding Swift terns while snorkelling. Just feet away
there would be a sudden splash a black bill would plunge in followed by their
feet. The only other noteworthy observation was what seemed to be range
extension for House Sparrow (big deal).

Andrew