[rec.birds] Rainbow Lorikeet diet

andrewt@cs.su.oz (Andrew Taylor) (01/22/91)

In article <279B4037.6211@intercon.com> ooblick@intercon.com (Mikki Barry)
writes:
> I have a Rainbow. I absolutely adore him!  You are quite right to be concerned
> about the diet however.  Rainbows CAN eat a bit of bird seed and/or a bit
> of special pelleted diet. But the main diet for Lory's is nectar and fruit.

I've noticed the Rainbow Lorikeets about here love the fruit of
what I believe is Oriental Plane Tree (its an exotic so I'm not sure of the
species). Its a common street tree here. Its fruit start out hard and grean
about the size and shape of ping-pong ball but covered in hard points. When the
fruits goes brown and dry the Lorikeets tear them apart for the seeds.

I seem to remember seeing the same tree in the US so you might be able
to find them. About here they also love Morton Bay Figs (a Australian native)
but you won't have those.

Andrew