[rec.birds] INDOOR - A New English Budgie

rmura@world.std.com (Ron Mura) (01/24/91)

In article <1991Jan20.000822.8336@infonode.ingr.com> savagewe@infonode.ingr.com (Bill Savage) writes:

> I just purchased an English Budgie.  I got it because I budgie-sat for a friend
> and discovered what pleasant creatures they are.
>
> Well, I don't know anything about birds.  My friend knows a good bit, but I
> would like to learn on my own.  Maybe some of you have some "First Bird"
> hints.  I would like to know about training (talking, etc.), getting
> the bird accustomed to you, what to feed or not to feed, and so on.

To quickly give a few points that have appeared in this newgroup before:

- Feed 100% white millet as seed (no oats and groats, etc.,--too fatty).

- Give vegetables/fruits every day.  Ours prefer parsley and broccoli.
  Rinse before giving it to them.  Keep giving them fresh veggies even
  if they don't take to them for a while (they have to learn).

- Fresh water every day.

- Have at least 2 perches, 3 if there is room.  They should all have
  different diameters (helps avoid foot problems).

- If the bird is alone a lot, leave a radio on during the day for "company."
  It will also enjoy hearing outside birds.

- Get as big a cage as you can manage, so it can move about.  Length and
  width are more important than height (even though many cages you see
  are taller than long).

- Training requires gentleness and patience.  I would suggest getting
  a book or, even better, subscribing to _Bird Talk_ magazine.

--
- Ron Mura, Boston, Mass.                   rmura@world.std.com

wvenable@spam.ua.oz.au (Bill Venables) (01/27/91)

In article <RMURA.91Jan23105105@world.std.com> rmura@world.std.com (Ron
Mura) writes:

>   In article <1991Jan20.000822.8336@infonode.ingr.com>
>   savagewe@infonode.ingr.com (Bill Savage) writes:
>   >
>   > I just purchased an English Budgie.

You were robbed.  There is NO SUCH THING!  Remember it this way:

In spite of all temptations
  to belong to other nations
Budgerigars remain AUSTRALIAN!

(along with cockatiels, scarlet chested parrots, bourke parrots, princess
parrots, sulphur crested cocatoos, galahs &c &c..  (sheesh))

Bill Venables, hoisting the flag on this Australia day weekend. :-)
--
  Bill Venables, Dept. of Statistics,  | Email: venables@spam.adelaide.edu.au
  Univ. of Adelaide,  South Australia. | Phone:                +61 8 228 5412