[rec.birds] INDOOR: Amazon Parrots

crouse@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (James Crouse) (01/25/91)

Hello INDOOR bird folks.

I am looking for any info about Amazon parrots.
The two that I am realy interested in are the
Yellow nape and the Blue front.
I am still open to any other suggestions.
I have read several books and articles and spent some
time with a Yellow nape.
I would like a domestic, hand feed. ( this seems to be the thing )
Is there a age when they are the best to start training ?
Also does anyone know of any good breeders in the Mid-west area ?
Any info would be helpful.

Jim Crouse
Univ. of Illinois

email to .... crouse@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

dkletter@adobe.COM (SUGAR in their vitamins?) (01/26/91)

i have a yellow nape, and she's great... but if i were to get another
one, i would get it at a much younger age. yellow napes are often
billed as the "pit bulls" of birds (and i know what these people mean
cos i've got the stitches to prove it!). i'm pretty sure that if you
get one at a younger age (i got mine when she was nine and she had
been passed from owner to owner so it's no doubt that she lost it
one day) you won't have to worry about the troubles i went through.
yellow napes also are not very good enunciators, but they love to
yell and really need a lot of attention. while mine doesn't say a whole
lot, she loves to whistle and yell nonsense. unfortunately, she bonded
herself to me only and does not really like anyone else (except maybe
for my father who brings her treats), especially females. but they
are very intelligent. mine has figured out how to unlock her cage,
unscrew screws and even take apart those triangle clips piece by piece.
hope this rambling has helped...

--
Yes.  Beautiful, wonderful nature.  Hear it sing to us: *snap*  Yes.  natURE.

hubler@galaxy.lerc.nasa.gov (01/30/91)

In article <1991Jan24.163026.12621@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> crouse@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (James Crouse) writes:

>I am looking for any info about Amazon parrots.
>The two that I am realy interested in are the
>Yellow nape and the Blue front.

Both types are known for their talking ability.  The Yellow nape is better
at this.  I originally started with amazons hoping mine would talk.  Mine
speak their own language quite loudly.

>Is there a age when they are the best to start training ?

The earlier the better.  Ideally you would get one that is just weaned
and start working with it.

>Also does anyone know of any good breeders in the Mid-west area ?
>Any info would be helpful.

Pick up a copy of the AFA Watchbird and check the classifieds in the
back.  Bird Talk also has some adds.
>Jim Crouse
>Univ. of Illinois
>
>email to .... crouse@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
If this is your first bird then be warned.  Amazons have behaviors that
are not always well liked.  They can do serious damage with their beaks
to both furniture and you.  A baby will probably grow to be a good
pet.  But amazons will occasionally bite just to bite.  There will be
times when they are not in the mood for attention.  They same to have
a "cat" attitude, they can take you or leave you at those times.  They
can also be VERY lovable and affectionate at others.  When the bird matures,
it will become cantankerous during breeding season, then revert to it's
more tame side after the season passes.  Hope I was helpful.

Dale Hubler

--
****  Here is my environmentalist signature                     *******
Dale A. Hubler  --  Sverdrup Technology  --  (216) 977-7014