[rec.birds] INDOOR: egg-laying unpaired cockatoo

duane@cbnewsj.att.com (duane.galensky) (01/24/91)

a very interesting event took place a few weeks ago: my lone white
cockatoo (unbrella, that is) laid an (obviously infertile) egg
on the floor of the cage.  i have some questions:

	- is there anything i should be replenish in the bird's
	  diet after such an event?  calcium? sulphur?

	- is there any way to preserve the egg indefinitely?
	  (admittedly, a cockatoo egg is an odd thing to
	  show friends, but i'm into it)

	- should i be preventing this from happening in the
	  future?  if so, how can this be discouraged?

umbrellas usually lay eggs in clutches of two, i understand.
only one egg has been produced this time...is this a cause for
concern?

after three years of saying "pretty boy," it's gonna take some
time to adjust!   sammy is a samantha!

duane

ooblick@intercon.com (Mikki Barry) (01/26/91)

In article <1991Jan23.203420.2785@cbnewsj.att.com>, duane@cbnewsj.att.com
(duane.galensky) writes:
> 	- is there anything i should be replenish in the bird's
> 	  diet after such an event?  calcium? sulphur?

Calcium, vitamins, and minerals.  I use Nekton S and Vionate.

> 	- is there any way to preserve the egg indefinitely?
> 	  (admittedly, a cockatoo egg is an odd thing to
> 	  show friends, but i'm into it)

I just kept my macaw eggs in the fridge.  It was quite amusing.

> 	- should i be preventing this from happening in the
> 	  future?  if so, how can this be discouraged?

There's really only one way to fully discourage this.  Ask you vet (hopefully
a good AVIAN vet...) to look into hormonal supplements that will stop the
bird from laying eggs.  Otherwise, find her a mate.

> umbrellas usually lay eggs in clutches of two, i understand.
> only one egg has been produced this time...is this a cause for
> concern?

No.  First clutches often have fewer eggs.  BUT, watch her.  If she hangs
out on the bottom of the cage, or is fluffed for a long time, and/or there
is a swelling near her vent that doesn't pass within 24 hours, you must take
IMMEDIATE action.  1) increase heat and humidity to the bird.  2) grease
the vent with KY or vaseline (or some other water soluble lubricant.  3)
take the bird immediately to the vet.  Egg binding could be fatal!

> after three years of saying "pretty boy," it's gonna take some
> time to adjust!   sammy is a samantha!

Happens all the time!

Mikki Barry
Natural Intelligence Aviaries
Home of the Electric Cockatoo--

stewartw@cognos.UUCP (Stewart Winter) (01/31/91)

In article <27A096FC.1A77@intercon.com> ooblick@intercon.com (Mikki Barry) writes:
>In article <1991Jan23.203420.2785@cbnewsj.att.com>, duane@cbnewsj.att.com
>(duane.galensky) writes:
>> 	- is there anything i should be replenish in the bird's
>> 	  diet after such an event?  calcium? sulphur?

>Calcium, vitamins, and minerals.  I use Nekton S and Vionate.

   If your going to use Nekton, wouldn't you be better off to use
Nekton-MSA for an egg-laying bird?  In any case you can get good
calcium supplements off-the-shelf from the drugstore (I think the
vet recommends using about 10-15 drops per ounce of water).

  Stewart
--
Stewart Winter               Cognos Incorporated   S-mail: P.O. Box 9707
VOICE: (613) 738-1338 x3830  FAX: (613) 738-0002           3755 Riverside Drive

duane@cbnewsj.att.com (duane.galensky) (02/02/91)

many thanks to all who responded!!   samantha is doing fine...

duane

ooblick@intercon.com (Mikki Barry) (02/05/91)

In article <9267@cognos.UUCP> stewartw@cognos.UUCP (Stewart Winter) writes:
>   If your going to use Nekton, wouldn't you be better off to use
>Nekton-MSA for an egg-laying bird?  In any case you can get good
>calcium supplements off-the-shelf from the drugstore (I think the
>vet recommends using about 10-15 drops per ounce of water).

Nekton MSA is for water supplementation.  I sprinkle the vionate on the fresh
fruit and vegetables I give my birds.  But it doesn't make too much difference
which you choose.

Mikki Barry