[rec.birds] Falconry: shot peregrine update

geleynse@hppad.waterloo.hp.com (Martin Geleynse) (02/05/91)

In article <2120006@hppad.HP.COM> I wrote:

>As an example of such a "cross-discipline" discussion. Two months ago
>my peregrine was shot. It is now recovering from the broken wing it received.
>I posted a note requesting info/suggestions from rehabbers or anyone who
>had experience with this type on injury.
>
>(Actually, I suspect that the posting never went out to the net due
>to a problem with our note server - let me know if I should re-post it.)

Though some people did indeed see my original posting I have received
mail asking me what happened, so I will post an update.

My bird is a 4 year old captive bred tiercel (male) peregrine falcon.
For the past 3 years I have flown him on gray partridge. His flight
style and skill have improved over the years an he was enjoying his
best season by far, this year. It was truly amazing to watch his
progression from a young fumble-footed hawk to a real master, with
speed, accuracy and a deadly sense of timing!

He was not a terribly high flyer as peregrines go. He would "wait on"
for the flush at a height of between 200 and 300 feet. But he was very
steady, always in position, and when the flush came, he would pump
his wings through the entire stoop. Experienced falconers who saw him
fly were always amazed at how fast he got "into" the partridge.

With my birds coming into his prime, and everything going so smoothly,
you can imagine the sinking feeling I got when I heard the two shots
come from behind the trees he had just circled over as he was gaining
height. When he didn't reappear in a minute or so, I went to
investigate and found two hunters. They claimed that they had not
seen any "hawks" and wouldn't shoot something like that anyway. They
did admit however that they shot at a "pidgeon" that went over, but
it didn't come down. I recorded their vehicle's licence number and
went in search of my bird. I dearly wanted to believe that he had
chased the pidgeon they referred to. I went back to my car, got my
telemtry out and tracked thhe signal to the middle of a large corn
field. There was my bird, standing motionless on the ground - I knew
immediately.

When I picked him up he couldn't balance on my fist so I bundled him
up and ran for the car. I went straight to my vet. The X ray revealed
a fractured ulna, but the radius was intact. (The ulna is the larger
of the 2 bones that run from the "elbow to the wrist, the radius is
the smaller). Lead fragments were visible on the X-Ray but the pellet
itself went right through. Another went through his leg, without
hitting the bone.

After he was bandaged up, I took him home and called a Conservation
Officer at the  local office of the MInistry of Natural Resources. We
talked a long time, I took him to the site, he talked to the owner of
the vehicle. While he admitted that the evidence was good, I didn't
actually see these guys pull the trigger and watch my bird drop. He
did not want to use the Endangered Species Act or the "protected
wildlife" provisions of the Game and Fish Act. He thought "careless
hunting" was the best charge to persue, though as far as I know no
charges have been laid yet -- seems its only endangered if you
want to keep one healthy and alive, if someone shoots it, well that's
your problem.

As to his recovery: The bandages came off over Christmas. I waited a
week and then took him out for some short flights - nothing fancy.
After another week I released a homing pidgeon for him. He chased it
but his lack of speed, manouverability and endurance was obvious.
Over the last 3 weeks, its just been more of the same. He has been
improving. His height is back but his speed and manouverability are
at about 80%. He also lands frequently. I have no idea if full
recovery is possible and if so how long it will take. Any suggestions
or info out there?

Martin Geleynse           | ##    ## |  ######## /   ########
Software Designer         |   #  #   | #######  /      #######
Panacom Automation Div.   |    #     | ######  /_    __ ######  H E W L E T T
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada |     #    | #####  /  /  /  / #####
                          |   #  #   | ##### /  /  /__/  #####
geleynse@waterloo.hp.com  | ##    ## | ######     /     ######  P A C K A R D
Phone:(519) 886-5320      |          | #######   /     #######
FAX:  (519) 886-8620      | TERMINAL |  ########/    ########

dragon@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Sam Conway) (02/06/91)

Of all the wing injuries that I see, probably the "best" ones are
fractures in only one of the forearm bones, in that they are the
easiest to treat and show the greatest success rate.  The bird has
an excellent chance of regaining the full use of his wing, as long
as he has ample exercise.

Now, going to a conservation officer was not the best thing, because
again, you had too little evidence.  The thing to do is hunt the
gunman down mercilessly and extract a pound of flesh in any way
you can.

Just don't get caught.

--
Sam Conway                             * What shape do you usually have?
dragon@eleazar.dartmouth.edu           * Mickey Mouse shape?  Smarties