[rec.birds] OUTDOOR: peregrine programs

lbechtle@uceng.UC.EDU (laurie bechtler) (02/02/91)

All this talk about falconry made me think of peregrines and
the programs of the last few years to introduce them to large
city downtown areas.  I know there were a few here in Cincinnati
but I haven't read anything about them lately.  How many cities
have such a program and how have they worked out?

quezon@dtrc.dt.navy.mil (Quezon) (02/05/91)

In article <7358@uceng.UC.EDU> lbechtle@uceng.UC.EDU (laurie bechtler) writes:
>All this talk about falconry made me think of peregrines and
>the programs of the last few years to introduce them to large
>city downtown areas.  I know there were a few here in Cincinnati
>but I haven't read anything about them lately.  How many cities
>have such a program and how have they worked out?

Peregrines, here is some information summarized from the Peregrine Fund winter
1991 newsletter.

In the northeastern region of the United States (includes the states from Maine to
Georgia on the east coast), 1991 is to be the final year that the Peregrine Fund
will be involved in the reintroduction of captive bred Peregrines into the wild.
1178 young falcons have been released over the past 17 years of which at least
81% survived to independence.  In addition to Cincinnati, Peregrines nest
regularly in Baltimore, MD and other large cities (New York, Norfolk, Va.).

The release of Peregrines in the California region will also end after 1991.
To date releases have totaled 580 birds.  The number of breeding pairs exceeds 100.
As in the case of the Peregrines in the Northeast, "all goals for the number of
birds bred, released, and breeding in the wild have nearly been reached" and
downlisting from endangered to threatened status may be near.

The Peregrine Fund has been involved with the release of of over 500 birds in
Colorado and Utah since 1975.  The original recovery goals have been reached,
and the Peregrine Fund is no longer involved with releases in these states.

In the Rocky Mountains and Pacific Northwest region, which comprises Idaho,
Wyoming, Montana, Oregon, and Washington, 135 birds were released in 1990 with
111 reaching independence.  While 2 known nesting pairs were counted in the
Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem in 1984, 27 pairs were counted in 1990.  As Sam
Conway mentioned in an earlier posting regarding Peregrine releases in his area,
in Montana, the majority of young Peregrine losses was attributed to adult and
sub-adult Peregrines returning to the hack sites and harassing the newly fledged
young.

Since the  Peregrine Fund will not be directly involved in the reintroduction
of Peregrines into the wild in a couple of regions of the United States,
"responsibility shifts to state wildlife agencies and local federal
jurisdictions-national wildlife refuges, national forests, and national parks."
It will be their responsibility to monitor the success of the existing Peregrine
populations in their regions.

A.J. Quezon
David Taylor Research Center

bob@delphi.uchicago.edu (Robert S. Lewis, Jr.) (02/07/91)

In article <5709@oasys.dt.navy.mil> quezon@dtrc.dt.navy.mil (Antonio Quezon) writes:

>In addition to Cincinnati, Peregrines nest
>regularly in Baltimore, MD and other large cities (New York, Norfolk, Va.).

Peregrines were released in Chicago about five years ago, too.  I know
some pairs nested, but I don't know whether they successfully raised
broods.  I also don't know whether they are still returning to the
city to nest.  I did see more pregrines than usual in the city last
fall, but that could be the result of improvements in the migratory
population or in my own skills as a birder.