[rec.birds] INDOOR: Any Tips For A First Time Amazon Parrot Owner?

ma176f1@sdcc14.ucsd.edu (Sean Kelly) (02/08/91)

I've been a bird lover for most of the twentythree years of my life,
but due to circumstances beyond my control (mom wouldn't let me) I
have never been a bird owner until yesterday.  I came across a
beautiful Amazon (mostly green with orange cheeks) female (they said
it was surgically determined) in the local Bird Store (Bird Haven).

Anyway, not wanting to be a poor bird owner and wanting only the
best for both her and I, I was wondering if any of you could give
me any helpful hints as to things I should know.  I formed a few
questions but they are by no means comprehensive.

1) Does anyone know of a good bird vet in San Diego?  And, how often
   should she been seen?

2) What kind of food do they like? And what kind of food do they need?
   (the salesmen said birdseed and fresh fruits and vegetables)

3) Since I work for a living and can't be home constantly what kind
   toys and equipment should be in the cage to keep her busy?
   (rubber squeky toys, cuddle bones, ladders, swings, radios?)

4) How much should I expect her to be able to learn?
   (I'd like to train her but I don't want to push her)

5) Are there any really good books or magazines that are considered
   required reading?

6) What are good names for Parrots (other than Polly)?

Please Email your suggestions. I don't want to cause to much INDOOR
traffic,  I get the impression that wouldn't be appreciated.  If
there is enough interest I'll post a summary.

Thanks In Advance,

Sean  (alias seank@crash.cts.com)

susans@cfi.COM (susans) (02/09/91)

In article <16456@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> ma176f1@sdcc14.ucsd.edu (Sean Kelly) writes:

>I've been a bird lover for most of the twentythree years of my life,
>but due to circumstances beyond my control (mom wouldn't let me) I
>have never been a bird owner until yesterday.  I came across a
>beautiful Amazon (mostly green with orange cheeks) female (they said
>it was surgically determined) in the local Bird Store (Bird Haven).

	Find out what KIND of Amazon.  And ask to see the surgical
	sexing papers.  If the store is advertising an "amazon
	parrot," I would run, not walk, to another store that knows
	what they're selling!

>1) Does anyone know of a good bird vet in San Diego?  And, how often
>   should she been seen?

	Bird Talk magazine has lists of Avian vets in all areas of
	the country.  The bird should be examined the day after you
	buy it, and the bird should come with a health guarantee so
	that you can return it if the vet finds anything wrong with
	it.

	Other than that, you need not take her in unless she's sick.

>2) What kind of food do they like? And what kind of food do they need?
>   (the salesmen said birdseed and fresh fruits and vegetables)

	Score one for the salesman.  Read books.  Read magazines.
	Ask the vet.

>3) Since I work for a living and can't be home constantly what kind
>   toys and equipment should be in the cage to keep her busy?
>   (rubber squeky toys, cuddle bones, ladders, swings, radios?)

	This is cute!  It isn't "cuddle bones," it's cuttle bone,
	and it's not a toy, it's a necessary dietary supplement
	(the skeleton of a squid or something like that) and the
	bird should have one available at all times to provide
	calcium.

	You start with one toy, and if she likes it, great.  If
	not, try another.  My birds don't like toys much.  Some
	don't.  If they don't, they don't.  Do NOT give it a mirror,
	unless you want her to fall in love with herself, and not you.

>4) How much should I expect her to be able to learn?

	Like what do you mean?  She won't learn to read!  Knitting
	is probably out!  She might learn a few simple tricks, and
	perhaps a few words or how to whistle.  If the bird is not
	currently tame enough to sit on your arm/shoulder, you should
	probably think twice since you have no bird experience.
	Taming an adult parrot is not easy, and it takes a lot
	of time and patience.  For a little more money you can buy
	one that is already tame.  Makes for a much easier time.
	Some amazons are better talkers than others.  That's why you
	have to find out what type she is.  Some are noisier than others
	too.  Something to consider when you consider your neighbors!

>5) Are there any really good books or magazines that are considered
>   required reading?

	I'd recommend Patricia Waltz's "The Pet Bird Handbook."  There
	are a million books.  I like Bird Talk magazine, because I'm
	not a professional.  There is also American Cage Bird, but I
	feel they have too much canary stuff.

>6) What are good names for Parrots (other than Polly)?

	That's equivalent to asking what's a good name for a child.
	Pick a name you like.  Any name will do.  Mine are Flipper,
	Murphy, Sugar, Pookie, and Bandit.  Not good kid names, but
	adequate for birds!

--
                        Susan S. (susans@cfi.com)

                        Another Friend of Bill's

mm@lectroid.sw.stratus.com (Mike Mahler) (02/10/91)

In article susans@cfiprod.UUCP (Susan Scheide -CFI-) writes:
!In article ma176f1@sdcc14.ucsd.edu (Sean Kelly) writes:
!!1) Does anyone know of a good bird vet in San Diego?  And, how often
!!   should she been seen?

!	Bird Talk magazine has lists of Avian vets in all areas of
!	the country.  The bird should be examined the day after you
!	buy it, and the bird should come with a health guarantee so
!	that you can return it if the vet finds anything wrong with
!	it.
!
!	Other than that, you need not take her in unless she's sick.

	I don't reccomend waiting until any bird is visibly
	sick before you take it to the vet.  Learn how to recognize
	stool, mucous and plumage variations by asking your vet to
	show you.

--

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Support Our Troops:  Check your tire pressure when you fill up!

gbell@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Greg Bell) (02/10/91)

In article <1016@cfiprod.UUCP> susans@cfiprod.UUCP (Susan Scheide -CFI-) writes:

>	Find out what KIND of Amazon.  And ask to see the surgical
>	sexing papers.  If the store is advertising an "amazon
>	parrot," I would run, not walk, to another store that knows
>	what they're selling!

I'm totally missing your point here.  What's wrong with advertising
an "amazon parrot".  What does this mean?

BTW, my reply mail to you always bounces.  I haven't checked, but is
your sig address different than the one shown in the "reply to"
line?

GBell

susans@cfi.COM (susans) (02/13/91)

In article <16523@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> gbell@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Greg Bell) writes:
>In article <1016@cfiprod.UUCP> susans@cfiprod.UUCP (Susan Scheide -CFI-) writes:
>>
>>	Find out what KIND of Amazon.  And ask to see the surgical
>>	sexing papers.  If the store is advertising an "amazon
>>	parrot," I would run, not walk, to another store that knows
>>	what they're selling!
>>

>I'm totally missing your point here.  What's wrong with advertising
>an "amazon parrot".  What does this mean?

	What does it mean?  It means the pet store doesn't even know
	what kind of bird they have.  "Amazon" covers LOTS of different
	parrots: Yellow Nape, Blue Front....uh, well, I'm not a parrot
	owner, and I know there are lots of others.  Describing it
	as an "Amazon" is pretty close to saying "Parrot for sale."

	The different birds have different characteristics.  That's
	why it matters what kind it is.  So he can do his research.

--
                        Susan S. (susans@cfi.com)

                        Another Friend of Bill's