[rec.birds] Outdoor Musings

edm@vrdxhq.verdix.com (Ed Matthews) (02/11/91)

I thought I would engage in a little stream of birding here...

I was out this weekend at one of my local parks, Manassas Battlefield
National Park, and noticed that the Park Service had cut down every
snag that could potentially ever fall in the direction of one of the
trails, including some that Pileated Woodpeckers were actively feeding
from and some nest sites that I'd staked out last year to watch this
spring.  As the song goes, "When will they ever learn?"

Ever been walking around and say to yourself "I've never seen X around here"
when voila X appears?  Happened again this weekend beside Bull Run (of the
Battle of Bull Run fame) with a Great Blue Heron.  I uttered the incantation
and presto! a GBH took wing from a limb about twenty feet up in a sycamore
tree.  Didn't even have the manners to grok at me.  Don't they sound just
awful?

Ever notice how hard it is to ID birds when they're flying head on at you
at eye level?  My wife and I were crossing a bridge when we saw a really
long winged creature come flying straight on at us.  As it veered to the
side, the long Great Blue Heron neck came into view.

The Tufted Titmice have been singing in the tree tops for two weeks now:
Peter-Peter-Peter.  The Eastern Blue Birds have joined them for about the
last ten days.  Is it my imagination or are the male blue birds more
spectacularly blue this winter than ever?

One of the most rewarding sights for me has to be sitting up on cliffs or
bluffs above a river and have Canada Geese come winging by at eye-level.
In the summer, I go out to Mather Gorge on the Potomac just north of
Washington DC. At 6-6:30 a.m., it is generally foggy enough so that you
can hear the geese coming for a few hundred meters before you can glimpse
them for twenty meters.  Splendid sight.

Got to see one of my favorite birds this weekend, Certhia familiaris, the
Brown Creeper.  They are hard to spot and uncommon as well.  Checking my
logs, I saw only one last year, in Whitchurch, Hampshire, England.  Makes
me wonder why the familiaris.

Taking up the recent Pileated Woodpecker thread, I'll keep watching them
while the rest of the world argues about *the one correct way* to pronounce
the name.  We are blessed here to have a large population.  I have seen
hundreds and saw five more yesterday without looking for them.  Before
you get jealous, know that I have never birded west of the Atlantic Coast
of the US, so there are tens of birds, probably in your back yard, that
I have not had the chance to see.  Can't wait for that three week trip to
the San Francisco Bay area this fall.  Back to the original thread, if
you want to see Pileateds, they love sycamores, are likely to be found
near water/swampy ground, and are most active between sunrise and nine
in the morning.  After that, they seem to get reclusive, except in
breeding season.

Back to nemesis birds.  Red-Headed Woodpecker.  I have *never* seen one,
despite hours and hours of looking at known sites.  What gives?

Hey, I just noticed that "our" (notice how we get possesive of birds?)
baby American Bitterns made page 1121 of American Birds, winter 1990.
It sure was fun watching those guys grow up -- they really have neat
plumage changes as they grow.

I'm an unabashed Turkey Vulture fan.  People look at me funny when I
admit that.  Oh well, there's not much to beat them for grace and
majesty on the wing (at least here on the east coast).  We have a roost
about 300 meters from my house where twenty or more birds spend the
night.  They leave before dark and come in to roost at 4 p.m. give or
take ten minutes every day.  You can set your watch by them.  One morning
as I was walking my dog at about 5:30, it was really dark, but just
barely light enough with the moon to see seven TVs come drifting over
my house at twenty feet off the ground, looking for thermals.  Yesterday
I watched them come in, spilling wind from their wings to lose altitude.
Looked like they were playing.

Speaking of just barely off the ground, I used to play soccer after work,
directly on the flight path of the local Canada Geese.  Besides being
treated to some wonderfully lush and green grass (they sure are messy!)
we got to see Vs of honkers come in at ten feet off the ground directly
over head at good speed.  The whistle of their wings and the breeze they
made was fantastic.

Enough musings...
--

Ed Matthews                                                edm@verdix.com
Verdix Corporation Headquarters                            (703) 378-7600

sid@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Sid Johnson WB6VWH) (02/13/91)

In article <46369@vrdxhq.verdix.com> edm@vrdxhq.verdix.com (Ed Matthews) writes:
>I thought I would engage in a little stream of birding here...
>
>I was out this weekend at one of my local parks, Manassas Battlefield
>National Park, and noticed that the Park Service had cut down every
>snag that could potentially ever fall in the direction of one of the
>trails, including some that Pileated Woodpeckers were actively feeding
>from and some nest sites that I'd staked out last year to watch this
>spring.  As the song goes, "When will they ever learn?"

Know what you mean.  In the past two months I have been to 2 desert
wildlife refuges, Piute Ponds and San Jacinto refuge.  Both are supplied
with waste water, or used to be.  Both are nearly bone dry.  Three of the
pons at San Jacinto were completely dry, the 4th had just enough water to
cover a ducks foot.  Needless to say there were few birds.  Now, if you
don't put that water in the refuge what do you do with the stuff, especially
sewer pond outflow?

>Ever notice how hard it is to ID birds when they're flying head on at you
>at eye level?  My wife and I were crossing a bridge when we saw a really

Same goes for flying directly away.  Happenes to me all the time..

>One of the most rewarding sights for me has to be sitting up on cliffs or
>bluffs above a river and have Canada Geese come winging by at eye-level.

I'd love to see that sight.  Karen and I saw several large (600-1000birds)
flocks of Snow Geese at Salton Sea last weekend.  They are impressive
on the ground.  When the whole flock takes to the air it is positively
awesome.

>Brown Creeper.  They are hard to spot and uncommon as well.  Checking my
>logs, I saw only one last year, in Whitchurch, Hampshire, England.  Makes

Sometimes I think that is like the word comman.  There are lots of comman
xxx species that are not comman in CA.  Creepers are tough though, here too.
Three or four a year is a good score.

>Back to nemesis birds.  Red-Headed Woodpecker.  I have *never* seen one,
>despite hours and hours of looking at known sites.  What gives?

Well, everytime I go to Louisiana there are no Pileateds, but you have to
beat the Red-headeds of with a stick.  Lets see now....there are Pileated
in VA and Red-headeds in LA....so if you go to LA and I go to VA it figures
that you will see Pileated and I will see Red-headed.  Isn't that how it
works?

>majesty on the wing (at least here on the east coast).  We have a roost

I agree TVs are really a fantastic bird.  Problem is that here in the SW
there are so many.  Ravens too, everywhere.  That means you have to pay
attention to every single one, even if you have seen azillion that day.

If you don't you will miss something important.  At San Jacinto I noticed a
bird soaring, quit high and nearly a mile away.  I started to mark it off
as another TV when it started to flap its wings. Mighty unusual for a TV at
that altitude.  Turned out to be a Golden Eagle.  Now if ravens, TVs, hawks
and eagles would all fly around together so you could judge the relative size
things would be easier, but they all *know* that and only do it when you are
not looking.

Speaking of birds knowing things.... There is a Lewis Woodpecker that has
taken up residency at the entrance to the south parking lot at JPL.  Same
telephone pole, everyday, alll day.  You can drive right up to that pole
and watch that woodpecker watching you for 30 minutes.  Now, just *try*
pointing a camera at him and you will see an instant disappearing act behind
the pole.  All woodpeckers know the same trick.  Where do they learn this
stuff?

Also, have you noticed that an unfamiliar bird will stay still till it sees
you reach for your field guide.  Then ziip its gone.  Some are more cocky and
wait till you are ready for your 2nd look.  They can be tricked sometimes.
We did it two weeks ago at San Jacinto. A bird popped up onto a tumble
weed about 20 ft away and started singing.  It looked vaguely familiar but we
couldn't place it.  Karen got behind me where the bird couldn't see that she
was using the dreaded tome of Peterson identification.  I kept it in the
binocs and described what she had missed.  "Got it!  Sage Thrasher!" she
whispered.  The words "got it" were barely out of her mouth when the bird
bolted for cover.  I suppose it will now have to go to some kind of bird
remedial school as punishment for allowing such a thing to happen.

>Enough musings...

Nay, never enough.

>Ed Matthews                                                edm@verdix.com
>Verdix Corporation Headquarters                            (703) 378-7600
>Chantilly, Virginia

Sid Johnson
Jet Propulsion Laboratory
sid@jato.jpl.nasa.gov

sandee@sun16.scri.fsu.edu (Daan Sandee) (02/13/91)

=
=>Back to nemesis birds.  Red-Headed Woodpecker.  I have *never* seen one,
=>despite hours and hours of looking at known sites.  What gives?
=
=Well, everytime I go to Louisiana there are no Pileateds, but you have to
=beat the Red-headeds of with a stick.  Lets see now....there are Pileated
=in VA and Red-headeds in LA....so if you go to LA and I go to VA it figures
=that you will see Pileated and I will see Red-headed.  Isn't that how it
=works?
=
 or both of you could come here ... I have Red-headed year round in my back
 yard, and a trip in the woods usually turns up Pileated. Red-cockaded needs
 a little work, though.

Daan Sandee                                           sandee@sun16.scri.fsu.edu
Supercomputer Computations Research Institute
Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL 32306-4052  (904) 644-7045

misan@ra.abo.fi (Annika Forsten DC) (02/14/91)

In article <46369@vrdxhq.verdix.com> edm@vrdxhq.verdix.com (Ed Matthews) writes:

>   Got to see one of my favorite birds this weekend, Certhia familiaris, the
>   Brown Creeper.  They are hard to spot and uncommon as well.  Checking my
>   logs, I saw only one last year, in Whitchurch, Hampshire, England.  Makes
>   me wonder why the familiaris.

Well, Linne named many birds in the 18th century. And in Sweden the Brown
Creeper (or Treecreeper as it is called over here) is quite common.

The Short-toed Treecreeper is a rarity in Scandinavia, but is common in
Western Europe. It is called Certhia brachydactyla.

annika forsten, finland