[rec.birds] Red Tailed Hawks

martinez@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Kenneth Mtz. (YONIX)) (02/17/91)

From: martinez@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Kenneth Mtz. (YONIX))
Newsgroups: rec.birds
Subject: RED TAILED HAWKS
  It was very exciting to go to L.A. this past week!!!   The weather
  was incredible compared to that up here in Syracuse. Although the
  purpose of my trip was related to a Career Conference for Engineers,
  the most exciting thing that happened was related to birds.

    Let me explain myself. The last day I was there, we were swimming at
    the Universal City Hilton's pool, suddenly I felt something flying not
    too hi above us. My friends thought I was going crazy. They didn't
    understand that above us were two beautyful red tailed hawks!!!!
    Even when I told them what they were they weren't at all overwhelmed.
    I guess one only gets too appreciate such  performance after not being
    in touch with these hunters for a while, and having shared some of
    his/her most exciting moments with'm.

    ( I used to train hawks in Mexico, or should I say THEY used to train
    me,  and one of my favorites was infact a poor Red tailed hawk that
    despite some idiot's negligence (from whom we stole the bird) had managed
    to overcome an awful diet this guy was giving him (I don't even want to
    mention) and exhibit some of the most beautyful flights I've ever seen.
    ( I really haven't seen "enough" )

       Well anyway, these two beautyful L.A. residents seemed to be very
       acquainted with the Hilton, and even perched on the front poles
       next to another royal bird, this one a not so lively symbol.

       It was quite an experience watching both birds almost caressing
       each other while at flight. They'd get real close, like whispering
       something about the jealous observer below, and then would take
       separate winds to circle some spot and then make fun of me again.

	  Honestly, if you ever have a chance to go to such place, specially
	  for free!!! like I did, don't hesitate and visit the spot. Maybe
	  after visiting Universal Studios right next to it, you can stop
	  by the Hilton around 6:00 pm. and see for yourself how nature
	  manages to survive even in not so friendly environments.

                    Wishing you had been there... flying next to me(us).

					Kenneth B. Martinez