[rec.birds] INDOOR: Goffin's Delectables

linco@eng.umd.edu (Sam C. Lin) (02/19/91)

In article <27BEAA61.5224@intercon.com> ooblick@intercon.com (Mikki Barry) writes:
>In article <1991Feb15.233832.9126@eng.umd.edu> linco@eng.umd.edu (Sam C. Lin) writes:
>
>>Considering birds on a case-by-case basis is *not* a simplistic
>>attitude.  A simplistic attitude is to assume that all birds are too
>>agree that clipping is called for in some circumstances.
>
>I was referring to the contention that birds flying away is "a load of
>cow turds".  THAT is what I consider to be a simplistic attitude.
>Even the tamest of birds can be startled into making for the highest
>tree.

OK, accidents can happen whether a bird's wings are clipped or not.
My apologies if I was being too opinionated.  I just find it
frustrating that many bird magazines, books, and people often try to imply
that I am irresponsible for not clipping all of my birds' wings.  I
think there are valid arguments to be made on either side, and that
the owner's own judgement is the best guide.

To change the subject, do any Goffin's owners out there have any tips
about tasty foods?  My Goffin's is proving to be a much pickier eater
than the Umbrella I had years ago.  So far, he only likes millet,
sunflower, dried corn, and shriveled up, day old celery.  The dried
corn seems to be fracturing his beak, so I have tried giving him fresh
corn, but he seems to hate anything that is soft and wet.  All of the
other veggies, fruits (fresh or dry), and nuts that I have tried are
rejected by him.  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.

Sam Lin
Internet: linco@eng.umd.edu
UUCP: ..uunet!eng.umd.edu!linco
BITNET:  linco%eng.umd.edu@cunyvm.cuny.edu

evelyn@uts.amdahl.com (Evelyn Mast) (02/20/91)

In article <1991Feb18.223429.10987@eng.umd.edu> linco@eng.umd.edu (Sam C. Lin) writes:
>To change the subject, do any Goffin's owners out there have any tips
>about tasty foods?  My Goffin's is proving to be a much pickier eater
>than the Umbrella I had years ago.  So far, he only likes millet,
>sunflower, dried corn, and shriveled up, day old celery.  The dried
>corn seems to be fracturing his beak, so I have tried giving him fresh
>corn, but he seems to hate anything that is soft and wet.  All of the
>other veggies, fruits (fresh or dry), and nuts that I have tried are
>rejected by him.  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.
>
>Sam Lin
>Internet: linco@eng.umd.edu
>UUCP: ..uunet!eng.umd.edu!linco
>BITNET:  linco%eng.umd.edu@cunyvm.cuny.edu

I think this, too, is a very individual thing.  My Goffin's is generally
rather picky as well, but through the years he has seemed to have picked
up on the fact that there are some tasty morsels which go in to my mouth.
So now he will at least put his beak up to things I am eating.  It started
with one morning's breakfast of oatmeal, with butter, brown sugar, milk,
and raisins added.  He got curious and put his beak in, and decided it was
great!  I buy frozen corn, and defrost a little bit each meal-time for him.
He likes the cooked egg yolk part of a fried egg (won't touch the whites).
He will go after anything I have in a bowl, except salad, I guess because
that's where the oatmeal is.  He likes chicken soup, especially if it
has dumplings.

The moral is be patiently persistent.  Try offering things and leaving
them around for a while.

If the hard corn is hurting his beak, then there is something wrong with
his beak and should be taken to an _avian_ vet.  My Goffin's LOVES hard
corn, which we call corn-crunchies because the floor gets as many pieces
as his crop, and we use it as a treat.

Good luck.

Evelyn Mast
evelyn@amdahl.com                                  I didn't mean it - I swear
evelyn@key.amdahl.com

ooblick@intercon.com (Mikki Barry) (02/21/91)

In article <1991Feb18.223429.10987@eng.umd.edu> linco@eng.umd.edu (Sam C. Lin) writes:

>To change the subject, do any Goffin's owners out there have any tips
>about tasty foods?  My Goffin's is proving to be a much pickier eater
>than the Umbrella I had years ago.  So far, he only likes millet,
>sunflower, dried corn, and shriveled up, day old celery.  The dried
>corn seems to be fracturing his beak, so I have tried giving him fresh
>corn, but he seems to hate anything that is soft and wet.  All of the
>other veggies, fruits (fresh or dry), and nuts that I have tried are
>rejected by him.  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.

No, I'm sorry, you can't change the subject :-).

Sounds like your poor bird has gotten used to only specific kinds of food.
I'm sure you know that feeding him only sunflower, millet, corn and celery
isn't going to make for a healthy pal.  Our goffins love kale and oranges.
In order to get your guy to try better food, you may try giving him only
good food in the AM, then his regular fare in the PM.  Birds are hungriest
in the morning, and he may very well at least pick at some of the new stuff.
Don't give up.  It may take weeks.

Mikki Barry