[rec.birds] Kestrel Nesting Box

kim@athena.mit.edu (Kim Carney) (03/01/91)

I am considering putting a nesting box in my area to help revive the
local kestrel population. I have two questions.

First, is my 'neighborhood' suitable? I live in a somewhat suburban
area along a large river. Years ago there were lots of farms, but they are
disappearing quickly.

Second, does anyone have kestrel nesting box plans that they could fax me?
March is approaching quickly, and I assume I'll have to get the nesting box
up ASAP.

Any other info would be appreciated!

Thanks for your help,
	--Kim

rmura@world.std.com (Ron Mura) (03/02/91)

In article <1991Feb28.214544.28424@athena.mit.edu> kim@athena.mit.edu (Kim Carney) writes:

> I am considering putting a nesting box in my area to help revive the
> local kestrel population. I have two questions.
>
> First, is my 'neighborhood' suitable? I live in a somewhat suburban
> area along a large river. Years ago there were lots of farms, but they are
> disappearing quickly.
>
> Second, does anyone have kestrel nesting box plans that they could fax me?
> March is approaching quickly, and I assume I'll have to get the nesting box
> up ASAP.

The Brookline Bird Club has been sponsoring an American Kestrel nesting box
program for several years.  You can get plans from:

               Paul M. Roberts - BBC
               254 Arlington St.
               Medford, Mass. 02155
               phone 617-483-4263 after 8 p.m.

Kestrels like open land, especially farmland (even better if it is
slightly overgrown), with a few large trees around.  I've read that
the kestrel has adjusted well to suburban life, but most of the
ones I see are in areas that are still fairly rural.

--
- Ron Mura, Boston, Mass.                   rmura@world.std.com