[rec.birds] Sick Parakeet

xxbruce@convx1 (Bruce Canright) (03/05/91)

My parakeet has been diagnosed as having an (inoperable)
abdominal tumor. The vet says this is not uncommon. He
(the parakeet not the vet) is on antibiotics in order to
fight secondary infections.

My question is ,have any of you cared for a bird with such a
tumor, and for how long did the bird survive? The vet pretty
much said, the better you care for the bird, the longer he
will live.
--
Bruce Noah Canright                xxbruce@csduts1.lerc.nasa.gov
NASA Lewis Research Center         (216)-433-5189

rmura@world.std.com (Ron Mura) (03/05/91)

In article <1991Mar5.143723.20468@eagle.lerc.nasa.gov> xxbruce@convx1 (Bruce Canright) writes:

> My parakeet has been diagnosed as having an (inoperable)
> abdominal tumor. The vet says this is not uncommon. He
> (the parakeet not the vet) is on antibiotics in order to
> fight secondary infections.
>
> My question is ,have any of you cared for a bird with such a
> tumor, and for how long did the bird survive? The vet pretty
> much said, the better you care for the bird, the longer he
> will live.

We've had a parakeet that has had a fatty deposit  (whether "tumor"
is medically the correct term I'm not sure) for several years.
Other than limiting his seed to white millet (so he won't get worse),
giving a well-balanced diet with vegetables and fruits, and keeping
him away from sources of possible infection (birds other than his
two long-time cage-mates), there isn't too much we can do for him.
But he seems happy and is active for an older bird.
We did give him antiobiotics initially for 10 days or so, but
I don't think you can do that indefinitely.

--
- Ron Mura, Boston, Mass.                   rmura@world.std.com