[rec.birds] INDOOR: Sick Parakeet help

gbell@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Greg Bell) (03/05/91)

My favorite feathered friend has caught something from his new
friend, also a parakeet.  The new parakeet has had symptoms since
October that have improved rather than worsened, so I figured he
either wasn't sick or was getting better.   Anyway, I've taken the
recently sick bird to a vet who seemed very knowledgable (I was not
able to find a strictly avian vet, but found one who was a member of
the avian vets assoc).  She prescribed a broad spectrum antibiotic,
but it doesn't seem to be doing much.  I can't afford to have a culture
taken... the first visit cost $37 (with medicine).

Two questions:

	1)  He refuses to swallow the medicine... how can I get it
            down his throat?  I have a small syringe, but he just closes his
            throat until I release him, then shakes it all out.

	2)  What's important in helping him kick this thing?  I'm
            keeping him warm during the day with a light bulb, and the nights
            aren't very cold (I'm in San Diego).  He's eating, and I'm making
            veggies available (as I always have).  Also, no drafts, etc.
	    Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks for any help.

  Who:  Greg Bell                            Address:  gbell@ucsd
 What:  EE hobbyist and major                  Where:  UC San Diego

rmura@world.std.com (Ron Mura) (03/05/91)

In article <17187@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> gbell@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Greg Bell) writes:

> My favorite feathered friend has caught something from his new
> friend, also a parakeet.  The new parakeet has had symptoms since
> October that have improved rather than worsened, so I figured he
> either wasn't sick or was getting better.   Anyway, I've taken the
> recently sick bird to a vet who seemed very knowledgable (I was not
> able to find a strictly avian vet, but found one who was a member of
> the avian vets assoc).  She prescribed a broad spectrum antibiotic,
> but it doesn't seem to be doing much.  I can't afford to have a culture
> taken... the first visit cost $37 (with medicine).
>
> Two questions:
>
> 	1)  He refuses to swallow the medicine... how can I get it
> 	    down his throat?  I have a small syringe, but he just closes his
> 	    throat until I release him, then shakes it all out.

I assume you got the syringe from the vet and that it has a plastic tube
at the end.  You need to get the tube down the bird's throat, below its
tongue.  Then shoot in the measured amount.  Some will get swallowed this
way.  If you still have trouble, ask the vet.  He/she should be able
to show you.

> 	2)  What's important in helping him kick this thing?  I'm
> 	    keeping him warm during the day with a light bulb, and the nights
> 	    aren't very cold (I'm in San Diego).  He's eating, and I'm making
> 	    veggies available (as I always have).  Also, no drafts, etc.
> 	    Is there anything else I can do?

Most important is getting the right medicine on the right schedule.
A bird should generally show improvement within a few days (though you
might have to give the medicine for weeks--whatever the vet says--to
cure it).  If it doesn't, ask the vet for something else.  A culture
would help identify the cause, of course.

You're doing the right thing by keeping him warm.  Cover him at night, too.

You should also separate the two birds, if you haven't already done so,
as far apart as possible.  If they are both sick, they will each need
at least the first course of medicine.  Don't share any cage items,
wash your hands when going from one to the other, etc.

I had to give one parakeet medication for almost 3 months, but she
finally made it.  Good luck!

--
- Ron Mura, Boston, Mass.                   rmura@world.std.com

ooblick@intercon.com (Mikki Barry) (03/05/91)

In article <17187@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> gbell@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Greg Bell) writes:

>but it doesn't seem to be doing much.  I can't afford to have a culture
>taken... the first visit cost $37 (with medicine).

Call a company called Micro-Bio whose number should be in Bird Talk (sorry,
I don't have it offhand).  Order the culture kit A (40 bucks or so).  This
will give you 4 or 5 culture and sensitivity tests. After this, the culture
plates will cost you about $2.00 per piece.  Without knowing the bacteria
involved and its sensitivity (in terms of which antibiotic will kill it),
your vet is working in the dark, and at your bird's risk.

>Two questions:
>
>	1)  He refuses to swallow the medicine... how can I get it
>            down his throat?  I have a small syringe, but he just closes his
>            throat until I release him, then shakes it all out.

Put it deeper down his throat, making sure that his tongue is under it.

>	2)  What's important in helping him kick this thing?  I'm
>            keeping him warm during the day with a light bulb, and the nights
>            aren't very cold (I'm in San Diego).  He's eating, and I'm making
>            veggies available (as I always have).  Also, no drafts, etc.
>	    Is there anything else I can do?

Keeping him warm is the best thing, and probably the only thing you can do
besides a culture/sensitivity test.

Mikki Barry