[rec.birds] Nest identification

wolfd@microsoft.UUCP (Wolf DUBY) (02/27/91)

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good reference on
identification of nests?  I think I've found an Eagle's nest
(I can't think of any other native Washington bird that would
build something that big) and would like to some confirmation
before I spend hours sitting in the area with a spotting scope
in the hope that its residents might show up.

misan@ra.abo.fi (Annika Forsten DC) (03/05/91)

In article <70921@microsoft.UUCP> wolfd@microsoft.UUCP (Wolf DUBY) writes:

>   Can anyone point me in the direction of a good reference on
>   identification of nests?  I think I've found an Eagle's nest
>   (I can't think of any other native Washington bird that would
>   build something that big) and would like to some confirmation
>   before I spend hours sitting in the area with a spotting scope
>   in the hope that its residents might show up.

There is a field guide to nests for North America. I don't remember the
details and I don't know if it will enable you to identify the nest.

Anyway, if it is an eagle's nest it may not be inhabited at the moment.
Are there any green leaves on the nest?

Annika Forsten

In article <MISAN.91Mar4182529@ra.abo.fi> misan@ra.abo.fi (Annika Forsten DC) writes:

   In article <70921@microsoft.UUCP> wolfd@microsoft.UUCP (Wolf DUBY) writes:

   >   Can anyone point me in the direction of a good reference on
   >   identification of nests?  I think I've found an Eagle's nest
   >   (I can't think of any other native Washington bird that would
   >   build something that big) and would like to some confirmation
   >   before I spend hours sitting in the area with a spotting scope
   >   in the hope that its residents might show up.

>   There is a field guide to nests for North America. I don't remember the
>   details and I don't know if it will enable you to identify the nest.

It's called a Guide to Birds Nests and is written by Harrison. It is in
the Peterson Field Guide Series.

   Annika Forsten

dmark@acsu.buffalo.edu (David Mark) (03/06/91)

In article <70921@microsoft.UUCP> wolfd@microsoft.UUCP (Wolf DUBY) writes:

>                          I think I've found an Eagle's nest
>(I can't think of any other native Washington bird that would
>build something that big) ...

Ospey, and Great Blue Heron, build very large nests around Puget Sound.
But the herons almost nest in colonies (groups of 10 or more pairs).

David Mark
dmark@acsu.buffalo.edu

wwf@oz.plymouth.edu (Dr. Wavell Fogleman) (03/08/91)

In article <MISAN.91Mar4182529@ra.abo.fi> misan@ra.abo.fi (Annika Forsten DC) writes:
>In article <70921@microsoft.UUCP> wolfd@microsoft.UUCP (Wolf DUBY) writes:
>
>>   Can anyone point me in the direction of a good reference on
>>   identification of nests?  I think I've found an Eagle's nest
>>   (I can't think of any other native Washington bird that would
>>   build something that big) and would like to some confirmation
>>   before I spend hours sitting in the area with a spotting scope
>>   in the hope that its residents might show up.
>
>There is a field guide to nests for North America. I don't remember the
>details and I don't know if it will enable you to identify the nest.

The Field Guide to nest of N. American birds is by Hal Harrison.  Check just
about any guide to raptors which contains significant natural history for
more details.