[rec.birds] INDOOR: moving with a parrot

nora@cbnewsl.att.com (nora.y.mclaughlin) (03/09/91)

I will be moving about 800 miles away soon and I have to move my
animal family with me.  Besides the others, I have a Blue Front.
Does anyone have suggestions on moving them int  the car with you,
such as what kind of cage/crate, etc.  The drive I expecto to be
about 1 and 1/2 days long.  I have never done this and need any
advice/suggestons any one may offer.  E-mail replys would be great
or direct net is OK also.

Thanks in advance.
Nora

hubler@galaxy.lerc.nasa.gov (Dale Hubler) (03/11/91)

In article <1991Mar8.205749.18481@cbnewsl.att.com> nora@cbnewsl.att.com (nora.y.mclaughlin) writes:

>I will be moving about 800 miles away soon and I have to move my
>animal family with me.  Besides the others, I have a Blue Front.
>Does anyone have suggestions on moving them int  the car with you,
>such as what kind of cage/crate, etc.  The drive I expecto to be
>about 1 and 1/2 days long.  I have never done this and need any
>advice/suggestons any one may offer.  E-mail replys would be great
>or direct net is OK also.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>Nora

I tried to E-mail to you but it bounced so here is a posting.

I have moved blue fronts from Florida to Cleveland.  I had 4 Bleu Fronts
in an average brass wire cage.  I used an extra perch or two.  The were
on the back seat of a minivan and they rode throughout the day just fine.
I kept a dish of fruit in the cage and a dish with a little water on the
bottom.  I don't think the birds ate very much that day.  The only problem
I had was that when I drive, I don't stop.  I went from Tampa to Kentucky
during the day, but once it started to get dark the birds got very agitated.
The were moving about a lot and snapping at one another.  I finally gave in
and stopped just south of Cincinnati.  They were fine the next day for the
remainder of the trip.  I guess they were tired after a long day and needed
some rest.  It was a bit of a thrill when they decided to serenade the
setting sun, as amazons are prone to do.  I did use some rope to fasten the
cage to the seat in case of a sudden stop.

You're welcome
Dale Hubler

--
Dale A. Hubler  --  Sverdrup Technology  --  (216) 977-7014
                                             hubler@galaxy.lerc.nasa.gov

--

cjqx@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (03/11/91)

In article <1991Mar8.205749.18481@cbnewsl.att.com>,
nora@cbnewsl.att.com (nora.y.mclaughlin) writes:

> I will be moving about 800 miles away soon and I have to move my
> animal family with me.  Besides the others, I have a Blue Front.
> Does anyone have suggestions on moving them int  the car with you,
> such as what kind of cage/crate, etc.  The drive I expecto to be
> about 1 and 1/2 days long.  I have never done this and need any
> advice/suggestons any one may offer.  E-mail replys would be great
> or direct net is OK also.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Nora

Wow, finally a post that's right up my alley! I am a graduate student, and
bought my umbrella cockatoo during my senior year in college. I also had a cat
at the time, and now have a dog too! Anyway, after graduation the cat and the
bird drove in the car with my boyfriend and me from southern california to
washington state. I should add that my cockatoo is especially mild mannered,
and not easily upset. The only thing that seemed to bother her in the car
(which she got used to pretty quick) was driving under overpasses - it seems
that the shadow passing overhead bothered her! (probably thought it was a big
bird of prey!) After the summer, we then drove from washington state to new
york, and took nine days to do it! What's more, we camped about three quarters
of the time, leaving the cat and the bird in the car (in their respective
cages, of course!)

As for equipment, I decided to purchase a guinea pig wire cage, to use turned
on end (to give the right height proportions). I got a regular dowel from the
pet store, and cut it to fit. I used wood screws and washers to hold it in the
cage. In my opinion, this is a better set-up than a plastic pet carrier. The
bird will be much more comfortable with an open air cage and perch. My cockatoo
actually seemed to enjoy looking out of the windows and watching things go by.
If you think about it, it is probably similar to the view during flight, but
without the effort!

I hope things go well for you. I didn't get the impression from my bird that
there was anything especially frightening about riding in the car.

Kate