[rec.birds] Merlins in cities?

dagnall@sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU (Robert Dagnall) (03/11/91)

	Are merlins and/or sharp-shinned hawks likely to be in
urban areas, esp. the SF Bay Area?
Robert Dagnall             dagnall@ocf.berkeley.edu
"Take the land, Christian soldiers, take the old ways too, but
please, goddamnit, leave me my soul."--William Least Heat Moon
               Also: dagnall@qal.berkeley.edu

dmark@acsu.buffalo.edu (David Mark) (03/11/91)

In article <41300@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> dagnall@sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU (Robert Dagnall) writes:

>	Are merlins and/or sharp-shinned hawks likely to be in
>urban areas, esp. the SF Bay Area?

Both species are regularly seen in Vancouver, B.C., in the winter, in
residential areas of the city.

Maybe someone from the Bay area can confiem that the same is true
farther south.

David Mark
dmark@acsu.buffalo.edu

sid@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Sid Johnson WB6VWH) (03/12/91)

In article <41300@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> dagnall@sandstorm.Berkeley.EDU (Robert Dagnall) writes:

>	Are merlins and/or sharp-shinned hawks likely to be in
>urban areas, esp. the SF Bay Area?
>Robert Dagnall             dagnall@ocf.berkeley.edu
>"Take the land, Christian soldiers, take the old ways too, but
>please, goddamnit, leave me my soul."--William Least Heat Moon
>               Also: dagnall@qal.berkeley.edu

I can't speak that well for the SF Bay area but Shap-shinned hawks are
quite comman here in the Los Angeles basin and in San Diego urban areas.
I would be fairly sure that the SF area would have them too.

Merlin is a bit different.  I have never seen on here in the LA urban
areas, although, you do see them occassionally in rural areas.  I have
never heard of one being reported on the LA hotline either, but that
may be because they are not considered to be that unusual.  The San
Diego tape sometimes reports a Merlin in rural areas so I'm sure they
are around. Oops I meant urban, not rural.

Sid Johnson
Jet Propulsion Laboratory