[rec.birds] INDOOR: Chocolate

mongo@mongo.EBay.Sun.COM (Joe Baker X33841) (03/12/91)

I have seen references to chocolate as bad for birds and, as I have a
substantial collection of older (latest was published about 9 years
ago) bird books at home, just took the time to try and verify this, to
no avail.

I also have an old Macaw (Gonzo) who has been chowing down everyting
from M&M's to cake (in, of course, moderation) for the last 13 years
and seems none the worse for wear.

So, when and where was this determined to be bad? By who? Is there a
newer bit of knowledege I should tap?

Thanks for any info...

Joe
mongo@mongo.Sun.COM

hubler@galaxy.lerc.nasa.gov (Dale Hubler) (03/12/91)

In article <5520@male.EBay.Sun.COM> mongo@mongo.EBay.Sun.COM (Joe Baker X33841) writes:
>I have seen references to chocolate as bad for birds and, as I have a
>
>I also have an old Macaw (Gonzo) who has been chowing down everyting
>from M&M's to cake (in, of course, moderation) for the last 13 years
>Joe
>mongo@mongo.Sun.COM

Must the stuff I've seen regarding chocolate states that it is bad
with no reference to specific instances.  I forget the compound that
is in chocolate, but it is known to be poisonous to dogs in sufficient
quantity.  The quantity would be less for a bird due to the differences
in weight.  I don't think cake would be harmful for an animal unless a
very large amount was consumed.  I have no concept of how many M&M's
per pound of bird would be toxic.  It may also be chocolate flavoring
in the cake, not actually chocolate.  I would use the M&M's in moderation,
but I know of no bird specific instances.

Dale Hubler

--
Dale A. Hubler  --  Sverdrup Technology  --  (216) 977-7014
                                             hubler@galaxy.lerc.nasa.gov

martin@adpplz.UUCP (Martin Golding) (03/13/91)

In <5520@male.EBay.Sun.COM> mongo@mongo.EBay.Sun.COM (Joe Baker X33841) writes:

>I have seen references to chocolate as bad for birds and ...
>just took the time to try and verify this, to no avail.

>I also have an old Macaw (Gonzo) who has been chowing down everyting
>from M&M's to cake (in, of course, moderation) for the last 13 years
>and seems none the worse for wear.

>So, when and where was this determined to be bad? By who? Is there a
>newer bit of knowledege I should tap?

I'd also be fascinated... Our two birds (Desi Lu Marino, african grey
and Limbo, short for Limblopper, blueandgold macaw) will kill for
Ethel M's chocolates, accept no substitutes.

Desi can recognize the sound of an Ethel's chocolate being unwrapped
in the next room, and can usually distinguish from lesser brands. They
both recognize the boxes on sight!

We give them an occasional nibble, and we won't feed them heavily
even if the chocolate rule is discredited, but I'd like to feel a
little safer about keeping chocolate in the house.

Martin Golding    | sync, sync, sync, sank ... sunk:
Dod #0236         |  He who steals my code steals trash.
{mcspdx,pdxgate}!adpplz!martin or martin@adpplz.uucp