[rec.birds] Edwards Plateau, San Antonio TX birding

5111rd@nvuxr.UUCP (Rich Ditch) (03/21/91)

I have a meeting scheduled for San Antonio, TX, on April
10 and 11, so I plan to take a couple days preceding for
Edwards Plateau birding.  I've got Lane's Guide to the
Rio Grande area, which contains details on the Plateau.
Other birders have suggested that I visit the Lost Maples
State Natural Area near Leakey, and have given me the bird
list for this location.

Based on the Lost Maples list and Lane's Guide, and a review
of the holes in my life list, I'd like to focus on the these
species: Mississippi kite, green kingfisher, golden-cheeked
warbler, golden fronted woodpecker, cave swallow, and
black-capped vireo.

My questions are:

1: how is April 7-8 for seeing the kites, which Lane lists as
migrating through in good numbers?

2: my friends missed the green kingfisher at Lost Maples on their
visit on April 29, 1989, although the checklist indicates that
this is a breeder there.  Are there any special pointers that
anyone can provide?

3: are there any major changes that I should know about since
the most recent edition of Lane's Guide?

4: anybody live nearby who may be birding at Lost Maples on these
dates who would like some company?

Rich Ditch
Bellcore 	Red Bank, NJ
(908) 758-2284

mjm@oliven.ATC.Olivetti.Com (Michael Mammoser) (03/22/91)

In article <1944@nvuxr.UUCP>, 5111rd@nvuxr.UUCP (Rich Ditch) writes:
> I have a meeting scheduled for San Antonio, TX, on April
> 10 and 11, so I plan to take a couple days preceding for
> Edwards Plateau birding.
> Other birders have suggested that I visit the Lost Maples
> State Natural Area near Leakey, and have given me the bird
> list for this location.
>
> Based on the Lost Maples list and Lane's Guide, and a review
> of the holes in my life list, I'd like to focus on the these
> species: Mississippi kite, green kingfisher, golden-cheeked
> warbler, golden fronted woodpecker, cave swallow, and
> black-capped vireo.

	I was in the area at the end of April in 1989 and really
enjoyed Lost Maples. I found that the rangers at headquarters were
very helpful in directing me to locations where particular birds
could be found. A walk up the creek about a half mile or so brought
me to a spot where I saw Black Capped Vireo. It was in the dense
growth along the bank above the trail. I saw one Green Kingfisher
along the creek around the same area.

	I got Golden Cheeked Warbler at Friedrich Park in San
Antonio (this is in the Lane guide) and there should be tons of
Cave Swallows at Braunig Lake south of San Antonio. I only saw
one Mississippi Kite on the drive up from the Rio Grande.

	Good luck.

Mike