[rec.birds] Wildlife Societies?

amg@cs.cmu.edu (Ann Marie Grizzaffi Maynard) (03/27/91)

Hi,

I'm looking for general information on the following two wildlife
societies, (or a pointer to a more appropriate bb to ask this question):

	The Wilderness Society
	Defenders of Wildlife.

Sprint has a program that will donate some percentage of the $$ you send
them for telephone service to any one of a list of charitable organizations.
I need help deciding on the above two.

I'd like to know what the purpose of the above organization are
and if there's anything else i should know about them before I pick
up a dart and just choose one.

I've tried my local zoo, but no one ever calls me back, or I get connected
with people who don't know anything.  I've tried the 1-800 operator
to see if there was a 1-800 on either of the two.  I don't have time
to take time off and go searching through my public library, so this is my
last stab and then I go for the darts...

Thanks for the info or the pointers!!

Ann Marie Maynard

sid@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Sid Johnson WB6VWH) (03/29/91)

In article <1991Mar27.154301.29289@cs.cmu.edu> amg@cs.cmu.edu (Ann Marie Grizzaffi Maynard) writes:
>Hi,
>
>I'm looking for general information on the following two wildlife
>societies, (or a pointer to a more appropriate bb to ask this question):
>
>	The Wilderness Society
>	Defenders of Wildlife.
>
>Sprint has a program that will donate some percentage of the $$ you send
>them for telephone service to any one of a list of charitable organizations.
>I need help deciding on the above two.
>
>Thanks for the info or the pointers!!
>
>Ann Marie Maynard

From the Sept 90 issue of Outside
DEFENDERS OF WILDLIFE:

 A group of old fasshioned Rpcky Mountain types who like animals with teeth, not just ones with cuddly faces. Of all the wildlife groups, Defenders has stayed
slosest to its original purpose: to protect species and habitat. It remains lean and focused, attracting former membersof Audubon and National Wildlife
Federation who are turned off by teir groups' Nouvea globalism.  Though it
maintains a much lower profile  than in the 1970s, Defenders is still strong inthe west, where its advocacy of wolf reintoduction is teaching it to make friends
with livestock owners.  Other pet projects include restoring the Everglades and establishing wildlife corridors so animals can migrate without meeting roads
or fences.  Internal conglicts persist over whether to expand into bigger issues TYPICAL MEMBER:
A bearded, middle-aged man who likes following game trails through the under
brush, wearing knobby Vibrams and no underear.

WHAT THEY DONT TELL YOU:
The staff has a reputation as prima donns, beleiving that the president should
concentrate on fund-raising, not policy

WHERE THE MONEY GOES:
Programs 66%, Overhead 34%

THE WILDERNESS SOCIETY

With its staff of Washington savvy politicos who can influence votes on the
black-tie circuit, the society seeks to iinfluence the management of federal
lands,period.  With no chapters to eat up the budget or tie up policy
decisions in democracy, the society gas a depth that the sierra club and others cant match, sendfing its land-planners to obscure fores service proceedings
and its lobbyists to the big congressional debates.  In fact, its devotion to
Washington's waays drove Earth First founder Dave Foreman into the desert.  Trouble is, critics say, the group tends to lean heavily on old, outdated statues.
The society was for a long time a hard-line backpacker advocacy group. Since
1980, it has gradually become mere cerebral and conservative, no doubt to
the approval of its growing roster of corporat sponsors and to the chagrin
of longtime staffers, some of whom complain that the leadership takes little
notice of the little people.   Posh office is decorated with 68 Ansel Adams
originals, 62 more than the Sierra Club has.

TYPICAL MEMBER:
Summers in Nantucket, votes for Teddy Kennedy at every opportunity.

WHERE THE MONEY GOES:
Programs 75%, overhead 25%

WHAT THEY DONT TELL YOU:  The 1988-1989 membership drive boosted the ranks by 35% but at a price: The society ran more than $1 million in the red.

There is more, but I think that should give you the idea.

-Sid