[rec.birds] Coming trip to Costa Rica

david@star2.cm.utexas.edu (David Sigeti) (04/03/91)

My wife and I will be taking a two-week birding trip to Costa
Rica starting on Sunday, 7 April.  We will be visting Monteverde,
Canas/Palo Verde, Carara (staying in Jaco), Manuel Antonio N.P.,
San Vito, San Isidro, Braulio Carrillo N.P. (staying in San
Jose), and Tapanti.  We have reservations for the first night in
Alajuela and the next two nights at Monteverde but plan on
arranging accomodations at the other locations by phone a few
days in advance in order to have some flexibility.  We also plan
a trip to Volcan Poas and the Sarapiqui region (including La
Selva Field Station) but we are having some trouble finding out
about reasonably priced accomodations.

We would appreciate any suggestions or information that anyone
can provide on birdings spots, accomodations, places to eat,
sights to see, etc.  We are especially interested in:

-- Reasonably priced accomodations while birding La Selva.

-- The possibility of driving *south* from Manuel Antonio/Quepos
   along the coast to Dominical (and thence inland to San
   Isidro).  We will be driving a Suzuki Sidekick 4x4 but the
   road from Quepos to Dominical is supposed to be pretty bad.
   Has anyone taken it?

-- Birding spots not covered in "A Birder's Guide to Costa Rica" (by
   Keith Taylor) or "A Guide to the Birds of Costa Rica" (by Stiles
   and Skutch).

-- Any sage advice that anyone out there feels is particularly
   important.

E-mail is probably best but this group doesn't get that much
traffic so posting probably won't hurt.  I will check the net and
my e-mail for the last time early on Saturday, 6 April.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies.  About a year ago I
solicited advice about places to bird in Southeastern Arizona and
promised to provide a bird list to all who replied.  Since I
never came through on that promise I think that I had better not
make a similar one here but I will be available to answer any
questions that anyone cares to ask about the trip afterwards.

--
David Sigeti    david@star2.cm.utexas.edu    cmhl265@hermes.chpc.utexas.edu

rravelo@orion.oac.uci.edu (Ray Ravelo) (04/04/91)

In article <DAVID.91Apr2132736@star2.cm.utexas.edu> david@star2.cm.utexas.edu (David Sigeti) writes:
>My wife and I will be taking a two-week birding trip to Costa
>Rica starting on Sunday, 7 April.  We will be visting Monteverde,
>Canas/Palo Verde, Carara (staying in Jaco), Manuel Antonio N.P.,
>San Vito, San Isidro, Braulio Carrillo N.P. (staying in San
>Jose), and Tapanti.  We have reservations for the first night in
>Alajuela and the next two nights at Monteverde but plan on

Lots of stuff deleted ...

There is a wonderful article about National Parks/animal/birds of
Costa Rica in the March/April National Geographics "Traveler"
magazine. After reading it my wife and I are thinking about making
Costa Rica our next travel destination.

I know there is not much time left for you to read it, but try to
as it's a complete and detail report on all the N.P. of Costa Rica
and accomodations around those Parks.

Ray

>David Sigeti    david@star2.cm.utexas.edu    cmhl265@hermes.chpc.utexas.edu

--