[rec.birds] European vs. American Bird Names

edm@verdix.com (Ed Matthews) (04/11/91)

Just going through my lists recently trying to make certain my world list
is up-to-date.  Ran into a couple of confusions that perhaps one of you
will be able to help with.  Two birds in question: one a gannet, the other
a snipe.  The gannet on my England list is Sula bassana, while our common
Northern Gannet here in the States is Morus bassanus.  The snipe on my
Ireland list is Gallinago gallinago, while its counterpart on my ABA area
list is Capella gallinago.  Both pairs of birds look superficially similar
to me -- similar enough to wonder if they have been reclassified.  Can
anyone tell me whether these are in fact dissimilar species?  Thanks.

--

Ed Matthews                                                edm@verdix.com
Verdix Corporation Headquarters                            (703) 378-7600

tmc-ae@gmdzi.gmd.de (FA Jirka) (04/12/91)

edm@verdix.com (Ed Matthews) writes:

>Just going through my lists recently trying to make certain my world list
>is up-to-date.  Ran into a couple of confusions that perhaps one of you
>will be able to help with.  Two birds in question: one a gannet, the other
>a snipe.  The gannet on my England list is Sula bassana, while our common
>Northern Gannet here in the States is Morus bassanus.  The snipe on my
>Ireland list is Gallinago gallinago, while its counterpart on my ABA area
>list is Capella gallinago.  Both pairs of birds look superficially similar
>to me -- similar enough to wonder if they have been reclassified.  Can
>anyone tell me whether these are in fact dissimilar species?  Thanks.

>--

>Ed Matthews                                                edm@verdix.com
>Verdix Corporation Headquarters                            (703) 378-7600
>Chantilly, Virginia

Both species have a long history of being reclassified. In North America,
Gannet has been moved to Morus as per AOU Checklist 37th Supplement (1989) ;
Snipe has been Gallinago a long time.
The following is straight from the computer version of the ABA checklist :
 56  Northern Gannet                   Morus bassanus                  N   1
309  Common Snipe                      Gallinago gallinago             N   1
The European lists I have speak of Sula bassana and Gallinago gallinago.
I am aware of Capella but I think it's obsolete on both sides of the ocean.

There is no recognized authority on world lists, officially, although most
world listers stick to whatever James Clements decides. Any standard is
better than no standard.
Other differences you may encounter in Old World nomenclature (restricting
myself to Holarctic birds) :
Snow goose            in genus Anser          not Chen
Great Skua (jaeger)   in genus Stercorarius   not Catharacta
Sabine's Gull         in genus Larus          not Xema
Gull-billed Tern      in Gelochelidon         not Sterna
In total, I found more than 100 differences when comparing the AOU checklist
with a Holarctic checklist which originated in Europe (K.H.Voous).

Daan Sandee                                          sandee@mimikri.gmd.de
Thinking Machines Corporation
Gesellschaft fuer Mathematik und Datenverarbeitung
D-5205 Sankt Augustin, Germany                       Phone: +49 2241 142410

s30986u@kaira.hut.fi (Martin Helin) (04/12/91)

 edm@verdix.com (Ed Matthews) writes:
*a snipe.  The gannet on my England list is Sula bassana, while our common
*Northern Gannet here in the States is Morus bassanus.  The snipe on my
*Ireland list is Gallinago gallinago, while its counterpart on my ABA area
*list is Capella gallinago.  Both pairs of birds look superficially similar
*to me -- similar enough to wonder if they have been reclassified.  Can
*anyone tell me whether these are in fact dissimilar species?  Thanks.

I think they both are one species. The Capella family was changed to
Gallinago some 5 years ago.

               Martin
Martin Helin	Helsinki University of Technology, Finland
Internet : 	mhe@otax.tky.hut.fi    s30986u@kaira.hut.fi
UUCP     :      uunet!kaira.hut.fi!s30986u

wwf@oz.plymouth.edu (Dr. Wavell Fogleman) (04/13/91)

In article <1991Apr11.120249.8804@verdix.com> edm@verdix.com (Ed Matthews) writes:
>Just going through my lists recently trying to make certain my world list
>is up-to-date.  Ran into a couple of confusions that perhaps one of you
>will be able to help with.  Two birds in question: one a gannet, the other
>a snipe.  The gannet on my England list is Sula bassana, while our common
>Northern Gannet here in the States is Morus bassanus.  The snipe on my
>Ireland list is Gallinago gallinago, while its counterpart on my ABA area
>list is Capella gallinago.  Both pairs of birds look superficially similar
>to me -- similar enough to wonder if they have been reclassified.  Can
>anyone tell me whether these are in fact dissimilar species?  Thanks.

Your Northern Gannets are the same bird.  The AOU recently changed the Latin
genus name to agree with the older, European one.  Your Snipe are different.
The European Snipe is not the same as our Common Snipe.

You lose one and win one :)

Wavell Fogleman

deby@cs.utwente.nl (Rolf de By) (04/13/91)

In article <1991Apr11.120249.8804@verdix.com>, edm@verdix.com (Ed Matthews) writes:
|> Just going through my lists recently trying to make certain my world list
|> is up-to-date.  Ran into a couple of confusions that perhaps one of you
|> will be able to help with.  Two birds in question: one a gannet, the other
|> a snipe.  The gannet on my England list is Sula bassana, while our common
|> Northern Gannet here in the States is Morus bassanus.  The snipe on my
|> Ireland list is Gallinago gallinago, while its counterpart on my ABA area
|> list is Capella gallinago.  Both pairs of birds look superficially similar
|> to me -- similar enough to wonder if they have been reclassified.  Can
|> anyone tell me whether these are in fact dissimilar species?  Thanks.

Ed, they are the same species, but it seems that your American list holds
somewhat old-fashioned Latin genus names (well, at least to me it seems, but
I am european). The generally accepted list in Europe is that of Voous, which
is slightly outdated but is accepted as a basis for taxonomic ordering as well
as scientific naming.

I haven't looked up things (my bird books being at home) but if my memory
serves me well, the Common Snipe (Gallinago gallinago) has distinct subspecies
in Europe and North-America, and there is a slight possibility that they may
eventually become separate species. I remember having seen only one Snipe
on the breeding grounds in North America (Algonquin NP, Ontario) and I must
admit that at least their display flight and sound was completely different
from its European congener. The sound I heard in Canada reminded me of a
Tengmalm's Owl (Aegolius funereus), but I don't know whether that's the usual
mating call. Over here there are two common sounds, one of them being made
by the two outermost tail feathers (drumming) in a steep descent.

By the way, some additional splits are on their way over here in Europe. The
ones that come directly to my mind are

Yellow-legged Gull	Larus cachinnans (split from L. argentatus)
  (this species includes the Mediterranean michahellis group)
Armenian Gull		Larus armenicus (idem)
   (breeds in Turkey and vicinity, winters for instance in Israel)
Water Pipit & Rock Pipit Anthus spinoletta & A. littoralis
   (over here Water Pipit is mountain species, Rock Pipit a coast species)
Hume's Warbler		Phylloscopus humei (split from P. inornatus)
   (the place of P. (inornatus) mandelli is unclear, inornatus is a regular
    but somewhat rare autumn bird, humei is much rarer with perhaps 20 or
    30 records ever in western Europe (also in autumn); both breed in Central
    Asia, but inornatus much nearer)
American & Lesser Golden Plover
    (this you will know better than me, I guess)

and possibly others (but this is much less clear); the most important possible
split to an American who is visiting Europe (or has visited Europe) is that of

American Scoter		Melanitta americana
    (possibly to be split from our Common Scoter (M. nigra))

In any case, the British are more conservative (as usual), and the above
cases are therefore not generally agreed upon.

Rolf

--
Rolf A. de By
Vakgroep Informatiesystemen			Tel   : (0)53--893753

tmc-ae@gmdzi.gmd.de (FA Jirka) (04/15/91)

deby@cs.utwente.nl (Rolf de By) writes:

>In article <1991Apr11.120249.8804@verdix.com>, edm@verdix.com (Ed Matthews) writes:

>I haven't looked up things (my bird books being at home) but if my memory
>serves me well, the Common Snipe (Gallinago gallinago) has distinct subspecies
>in Europe and North-America, and there is a slight possibility that they may
>eventually become separate species. ...

The American subspecies used to be a separate species (Wilson's Snipe - the
Latin escapes me) but was lumped with Common Snipe a long time ago. This
lumping is independent of the change of the genus name from Capella to
Gallinago (which is what started this discussion).

>By the way, some additional splits are on their way over here in Europe. The
>ones that come directly to my mind are

>Yellow-legged Gull	Larus cachinnans (split from L. argentatus)
>  (this species includes the Mediterranean michahellis group)

Yellow-legged Gull is occasional on N.Am. East Coast, but I haven't heard
what A.O.U. thinks.

>Water Pipit & Rock Pipit Anthus spinoletta & A. littoralis
>   (over here Water Pipit is mountain species, Rock Pipit a coast species)

A.O.U. (1989) has accepted the split-off of American Pipit (A. americana).
Attu watchers, beware! no doubt A. littoralis turns up there occasionally.
Actually, I was under the impression that both AOU and BOU had accepted the
littoralis/spinoletta split.

>American & Lesser Golden Plover
>    (this you will know better than me, I guess)
The rumour us that A.O.U. WILL split those (I'm waiting impatiently - I got
them both). Can anybody find out? - the Checklist Committee should have met
in March, but I don't have an Email address.

>and possibly others (but this is much less clear); the most important possible
>split to an American who is visiting Europe (or has visited Europe) is that of

>American Scoter		Melanitta americana
>    (possibly to be split from our Common Scoter (M. nigra))

>In any case, the British are more conservative (as usual), and the above
>cases are therefore not generally agreed upon.

But the question remains, is the BOU making the decisions for the entire
Western Palaearctic? No doubt that's what they think themselves ...

Checking Voous's list (he's not British, by the way, I know), I find that
he lumps the following Nearctic/Palaearctic species pairs :
 Great Egret      (Casmerodius albus)     - subsp of Common Egret, Egretta alba
 Black-vented Shearwater (Puffinus opistomelas) - subsp. of P.puffinus
 Black-necked Stilt (Himantopus mexicanus) - subsp of H. himantopus
 Least Tern (Sterna antillarum)           - subsp of Little Tern, S. albifrons
 Brown Creeper (Certhia americana)        - subsp of Treecreeper, C. familiaris

So anyone birding both continents will have to decide which authority to
follow.
Voous also doesn't recognize recent North American splits, which is reasonable.
I've only listed Holarctic species, or species pairs.

deby@cs.utwente.nl (Rolf de By) (04/17/91)

Daan Sandee writes:

|> Yellow-legged Gull is occasional on N.Am. East Coast, but I haven't heard
|> what A.O.U. thinks.

This species seems hardly within the verdict of the A.O.U. They should simply
follow what someone in Eurasia decides. But obviously, it's their choice
whom to follow.

|> But the question remains, is the BOU making the decisions for the entire
|> Western Palaearctic? No doubt that's what they think themselves ...

Taxonomic decisions are never made with the consent of all. With respect to this
North America is in a much better position than Europe simply because it has
fewer formal bodies. For the twitchers/listers amongst us such bodies are always
too slow, lagging behind in years on the literature available. For listing purposes you just have to rely on a single checklist (Peters, Moore, or whatever)
and augment for yourself as new literature comes along. Obviously, it is an immense task to follow all of them, and some good contacts are very helpful in
identifying generally accepted (amongst field ornithologists, not amongst ?OU's) splits and lumps.

|> Checking Voous's list (he's not British, by the way, I know), I find that
|> he lumps the following Nearctic/Palaearctic species pairs :
|>  Great Egret      (Casmerodius albus)     - subsp of Common Egret, Egretta alba
|>  Black-vented Shearwater (Puffinus opistomelas) - subsp. of P.puffinus
|>  Black-necked Stilt (Himantopus mexicanus) - subsp of H. himantopus
|>  Least Tern (Sterna antillarum)           - subsp of Little Tern, S. albifrons
|>  Brown Creeper (Certhia americana)        - subsp of Treecreeper, C. familiaris

What I know of general acceptance of the taxonomic status of these species (and I have to since I've seen all pairs except for the Shearwater) is that egret (in Europe usually named Egretta alba), stilt and creeper are considered conspecific,
while the tern is a true split. I wouldn't be surprised about a split off for the
Shearwater as we have a similar split off from P. puffinus in Europe (and which
I forgot to mention in my last post):

Yelkouan Shearwater		Puffinus yelkouan
	(this is a Mediterranean shearwater occurring regularly off the coasts
	  of western Europe in early autumn, e.g., Holland has a couple of records
          each year)