[rec.birds] bird .gif files wanted

johnb@omews6.intel.com (John Bauer) (04/18/91)

Are there any gif files in netland showing (preferably outdoor) birds?
If so, could you please point me to their location?  Thanks -

 John Bauer                             "I speak only for myself."
 Intel Corp., M/S JF1-58                E-mail: johnb@ichips.intel.com
 5200 N.E. Elam Young Parkway           Phone:  (503) 696-4444
 Hillsboro, Oregon 97124                Fax:    (503) 696-4515

burhans@mizar.usc.edu (Mustang Sally) (04/19/91)

In article <1991Apr18.004124.3373@omews63.intel.com> johnb@ichips.intel.com writes:
>Are there any gif files in netland showing (preferably outdoor) birds?
>If so, could you please point me to their location?  Thanks -

I'd be interested in any additional information about this as well.

On another group I read, someone posted a list of all the sites that
have any gifs at all. I scanned through for sites with bird gifs and
found two.

One is aixpsb.rrz.uni-koeln.de  I don't know the ip number for sure
it may be 134,95.80.1  As you may be able to tell it is in denmark
so connection and download is a bit slow, but by god it works.
I'm assuming you know how to ftp in general so I wont go into that--
let me know if you need more help. The directory in question is

pub/gif/animals and the files it has are
  parrot.gif which is a red and blue parrot with its wings flashing
  gulls.gif which is a head shot of two sea gulls

What kind of birds, you might ask--sorry don't have my field guide
and am not good enough to tell. The gulls, which I converted with Wingif
to make bmp files to display as my background in Windows have a grey
back, white head, yellow eyes, yellow bill--fairly think with a dark
tip--the whole tip not just a spot..maybe a fourth of the length
of the bill.

The parrot? I don't know and my field guide wont cover it.

By the way, these are photographs. At the same site in /pub/gif/art
is a file called geese.gif which is japanese print.

The other site I heard about is
schizo.samsung.com which is nearer and faster but seems to
be very busy ftp wise as I couldn't get in. In the
directory pub/gif/0-9 are two files: bird.gif and birds.gif
which I haven't been able to check out.

Are you interested more in photos? drawings? And, if you don't
mind saying--what do you want to do with them? Just curious.
--
Jackie Burhans (burhans@usc.edu)
Data Stylist, USC Student Affairs

In article <32079@usc> burhans@mizar.usc.edu (Mustang Sally) writes:
>In article <1991Apr18.004124.3373@omews63.intel.com> johnb@ichips.intel.com writes:
>>Are there any gif files in netland showing (preferably outdoor) birds?
>
>The other site I heard about is
>schizo.samsung.com which is nearer and faster but seems to
>be very busy ftp wise as I couldn't get in. In the
>directory pub/gif/0-9 are two files: bird.gif and birds.gif
>which I haven't been able to check out.

Finally got in. The directory for the above files bird.gif and birds.gif
is really pub/gif/b

In fact they have directories a,b,c,...z as well as on called 0-9.
Files are placed in these directories according to the first letter
of the file name. Other files mentioned but not seen by me are:

aves.pionus.Z   I assume these may be birds the .Z extension means they
aves_maxim.Z    have to be "uncompress"ed before they are .gif files.
crow.gif
eagle.gif
flamingo.gif
roadrunn
roadrunner.Z  (probably the cartoon one)
toucan.gif
tweety.gif   (almost definitely cartoon, but hey)
gulls.gif    same as one in denmark, a lot closer to get
owl.gif
parrot.gif   same as one in denmark

Bird is a hummingbird on a limb with its wings flashed. Dark
head, rufous body, broad? bill.
Birds is a shot of two parrots--red with blue wings. Resolution
isn't good on either, hummer is better.