[rec.birds] Trendy species nicnames

herlihy@crl.dec.com (Maurice Herlihy) (04/15/91)

Just for fun, I'd like to assemble a list of currently hip :-) species nicnames.
Some starters:

	tee vee		Turkey Vulture
	modo		Mourning Dove
	winter chippie	American Tree Sparrow
	GBH		Great Blue Heron		(may be dated)

Any others?

john@nmt.edu (John Shipman) (04/16/91)

Maurice Herlihy (herlihy@crl.dec.com) writes:
+--
| tee vee		Turkey Vulture
+--
I've heard lots of birders use this, it's probably universal.

+--
| modo		Mourning Dove
+--
This comes from the 4-letter name code used by banders.  I've heard
several other 4-letter codes pronounced and used as nicknames at
Point Reyes Bird Observatory (PRBO).

My favorite cute bird nicknames are a couple I remember from a list
posted on the wall of a house in Bolinas, CA where a couple of PRBO
ornithologists lived.  A non-birding woman who had lived there for a
while had put it up.  She was too much of a free spirit to learn the
right names, so she made up her own.  A couple of them were so
apropos that I remember them fifteen years later:

  "Tippy Glider"          (turkey vulture)
  "Angel Hawk"            (black-shouldered kite)
--
John Shipman/Zoological Data Processing/Socorro, NM/john@jupiter.nmt.edu
``Let's go outside and commiserate with nature.''  --Dave Farber

dragon@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Sam Conway) (04/16/91)

In article <1991Apr15.004109.8828@crl.dec.com> herlihy@crl.dec.com (Maurice Herlihy) writes:
>Just for fun, I'd like to assemble a list of currently hip :-) species nicnames.
>	tee vee		Turkey Vulture
>	modo		Mourning Dove
>	winter chippie	American Tree Sparrow
>	GBH		Great Blue Heron		(may be dated)

	GHO      Great Horned Owl
	'tail or RTH    Red-tailed hawk
	rodo     rock dove
	bitchbird    Bald Eagle  (local.  You have to know Johnny!)
	sharpie  sharpshinned hawk  (also Gos, Coop, and other "abbreviates")
	'grin or PEFA    Peregrine falcon
	shortie  short-eared owl
	SWO      saw-whet owl
	LEO      long-eared owl

These are the ones I use on rescue call sheets.

--
Sam Conway                             * "And if you give us any more
dragon@eleazar.dartmouth.edu           * trouble I shall visit you in the

grp@Unify.com (Greg Pasquariello) (04/16/91)

Herlihy) writes:
> From: herlihy@crl.dec.com (Maurice Herlihy)
> Subject: Trendy species nicnames
> Date: 15 Apr 91 00:41:09 GMT
>
> Just for fun, I'd like to assemble a list of currently hip :-) species
nicnames.
> Some starters:
>
> 	tee vee		Turkey Vulture
> 	modo		Mourning Dove
> 	winter chippie	American Tree Sparrow
> 	GBH		Great Blue Heron		(may be dated)
>
> Any others?

Hugo		Hudsonian Godwit
Margo		Marbled Godwit
Sharpie		Sharp-shinned Hawk
Dickey Bird	Anything small and unidentified
Shoulder	Red-shouldered Hawk
Tail		Red-tailed Hawk
Coop		Cooper's Hawk
Mudpecker	Any dowitcher	(I think my birding group in NJ invented this)
Dump Buzzard	Any gull	(I think this is Peter Dunne's)
Butter Butt	Yellow-rumped Warbler
#%^&@		Anything you want to id but can't

and of course

Empid		Any unidentified Empidonax
Peep		Any unidentified sandpiper
--

---
Greg Pasquariello	grp@unify.com

jespah@milton.u.washington.edu (Kathleen Hunt) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr15.004109.8828@crl.dec.com> herlihy@crl.dec.com (Maurice Herlihy) writes:
>Just for fun, I'd like to assemble a list of currently hip :-) species nicnames.
>Some starters:
>	tee vee		Turkey Vulture
>	modo		Mourning Dove
>	winter chippie	American Tree Sparrow
>	GBH		Great Blue Heron		(may be dated)
>Any others?

Let's see, I've heard "mocker" for the Northern Mockingbird and "bend over"
for Bendire's Thrasher.  My favorite is "butterbutt" for the Yellow-rumped
Warbler.  I also like the "violent green swallow"  (Violet-Green Swallow).
A couple ornithologists I know use "trash bird" for those sticks and bags
and bits of plastic that look like a bird until you get them in your binocs.

--
"We found on St. Paul's only two kinds of birds - the booby and the noddy....
Both are of a tame and stupid disposition, and are so unaccustomed to visitors,

burhans@mizar.usc.edu (Mustang Sally) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr16.204747.22862@milton.u.washington.edu> jespah@milton.u.washington.edu (Kathleen Hunt) writes:

>Let's see, I've heard "mocker" for the Northern Mockingbird and "bend over"
>for Bendire's Thrasher.  My favorite is "butterbutt" for the Yellow-rumped
>Warbler.

I've also heard them called yellow-butts

>I also like the "violent green swallow"  (Violet-Green Swallow).
I like this a lot!

>A couple ornithologists I know use "trash bird" for those sticks and bags
>and bits of plastic that look like a bird until you get them in your binocs.

I've also heard terminator bird (I think) for when you are watching the
phone poles along the highway and think you see one and its a terminator
or was that transistor--something like that. Then there are the plane
birds that always excite me--especially the Common Cherokee Piper birds.

I use Wooder for Woodpeckers or pecker for that matter. Or Mr. Wood.
I don't know if it counts but a friend calls Rock Doves, Rat Birds.
No respect at all!

Ok, its not a nickname but anytime I see a bird that has a name of the
form American xxx, e.g. American Wigeon, I break out into a rendition of
the Tom Petty (I think) song: She's an American girl! only substituting
the bird name. Some people think I'm nuts. However these people are married
to me so their opinion hardly counts.

--
Jackie Burhans (burhans@usc.edu)
Data Stylist, USC Student Affairs

rim@csadfa.cs.adfa.oz.au (Bob McKay) (04/18/91)

From article <1991Apr15.004109.8828@crl.dec.com>, by herlihy@crl.dec.com (Maurice Herlihy):
> Just for fun, I'd like to assemble a list of currently hip species nicnames.
Here in Oz, the Black Faced Cuckoo Shrike is almost universally known these
days as a BiFCuS
Bob McKay		   Phone:	+61 6 268 8169	    fax: +61 6 268 8581
Dept. Computer Science		ACSNET,CSNET:	rim@csadfa.cs.adfa.oz
Aust. Defence Force Academy	UUCP:	...!uunet!munnari!csadfa.cs.adfa.oz!rim
Canberra ACT 2600 AUSTRALIA	ARPA:	rim%csadfa.cs.adfa.oz@uunet.uu.net

cwilliamson@pimacc.pima.edu (04/18/91)

I've heard MODO, TV, GBH since I met my wife in 1982 so
there is no question in my mind what these mean. I'm surprised
though from the messages on this topic imply that others use
these just as freely.

How about BBP?

There are some 'joke' birdnames we use quite alot...

Summer teenager
bush(beeps)   tits are censored!
Wood(beep)    cocks are censored!
(beep)mouse

Sometimes the sound the bird makes is somehow associated
with its nicname:

Gross'bick' for Grosbeak

I don't know how many times we've been driving, and see a
hawk, and then characterize it on seeing the belly-band (and dismiss it)
"Just a 'tail" for Redtail.

I've got a few personal ones. The silly getup of the
Acorn Woodpecker leads me to call them 'bozo birds'.

Chuck Williamson
Tucson Az
Cwilliamson@pimacc.pima.edu

edm@verdix.com (Ed Matthews) (04/18/91)

In article <31994@usc> burhans@mizar.usc.edu (Mustang Sally) writes:

>or was that transistor--something like that. Then there are the plane
>birds that always excite me--especially the Common Cherokee Piper birds.

We always called them gashawks. :)

--

Ed Matthews                                                edm@verdix.com
Verdix Corporation Headquarters                            (703) 378-7600

grp@Unify.com (Greg Pasquariello) (04/18/91)

In article <1991Apr16.204747.22862@milton.u.washington.edu>,
jespah@milton.u.washington.edu (Kathleen Hunt) writes:

> A couple ornithologists I know use "trash bird" for those sticks and bags
> and bits of plastic that look like a bird until you get them in your binocs.

Ahh, the infamous Whisker Birds!  I guess `cuz clumps of sticks and weeds
look whiskery.

cs191041@cs.brown.edu (Andrew Sundelin) (04/19/91)

In article <1991Apr18.040800.18306@sserve.cc.adfa.oz.au>, rim@csadfa.cs.adfa.oz.au (Bob McKay) writes:
|> From article <1991Apr15.004109.8828@crl.dec.com>, by herlihy@crl.dec.com (Maurice Herlihy):
|> > Just for fun, I'd like to assemble a list of currently hip species nicnames.
|> Here in Oz, the Black Faced Cuckoo Shrike is almost universally known these
|> days as a BiFCuS
	     ^^^^^^  how does one say this?

Andrew Sundelin
cs191041@cs.brown.edu

wgoble@bbn.com (Wendy Goble) (04/22/91)

In article <1991Apr18.113523.5842@verdix.com> edm@verdix.com (Ed Matthews) writes:
>In article <31994@usc> burhans@mizar.usc.edu (Mustang Sally) writes:
>
>>or was that transistor--something like that. Then there are the plane
>>birds that always excite me--especially the Common Cherokee Piper birds.
>
>We always called them gashawks. :)

We always called them buzzers.

Wendy
wgoble@bbn.com

bcking@HQ.Ileaf.COM (Christine King x4426) (04/23/91)

I think it's Roger T. Peterson that calls all unidentifiable warblers
"Green-and-Yellow Eyestrain"?
--
--Christine King
  Internet: bcking@HQ.ileaf.COM   UUCP: uunet!leafusa!bcking

gss@edsdrd.eds.com (Gary Schiltz) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr15.004109.8828@crl.dec.com>, herlihy@crl.dec.com (Maurice Herlihy) writes:
> Just for fun, I'd like to assemble a list of currently hip :-) species nicnames.
> Some starters:
>
> 	tee vee		Turkey Vulture
> 	modo		Mourning Dove
> 	winter chippie	American Tree Sparrow
> 	GBH		Great Blue Heron		(may be dated)
>
> Any others?

"Unreal" birds:
    NAB              Not a Bird, includes "trash" birds such as Clorox
		       Bottle Snowy Owls, Squirrel Nest Hawks, Stick
		       Anhingas, etc.
    Gashawk          An airplane, great to point out to beginners on
		       field trips.
    Whirlibird       A helicopter (obviously).

Real birds:
    JRD              Jive Rock Dove (possibly local to Manhattan, KS;
		     coined by Marty Stapanian at KSU, I believe).

And, my personal favorite, coined by my wife Karen:

    Lawn Dowitcher   European Starling

----

     /\   What cheer,  /\       | Gary Schiltz, EDS R&D, 3551 Hamlin Road |
    / o<    cheer,    <o \      | Auburn Hills, MI  48326, (313) 370-1737 |
\\/ ) /     cheer,     \ ( \//  |          gss@edsdrd.eds.com             |
   \ /      cheer!!!    \ /     |       "Have bird will watch ..."        |