[rec.birds] Smoke Alarm Bird

svihla@evax6.eng.fsu.edu (04/24/91)

 I was leaving work about three in the morning last week when I flushed
a bird in a tree next to the sidewalk.  It took off emitting a high pitched
squeaking that sounded about like my smoke alarm does when it goes off.
I thought at first it might have been a bat, but subsequent
nocturnal encounters proved that it was indeed a bird.  I usually see them
around sunset - they hop along the ground in a field next to the
building, emitting single high pitched notes frequently.  They seem to
have a gray or dark cap with a thin white circle at the base.  The face is
white, the bill is dark, then it gets complicated. The throat is barred -white,
 then black, then white, then black.  The markings are striking. The
belly is a creamy white, the wings are grey or some other darker color.
They spend a lot of time on the ground and I've seen them several times
hopping around the lighted building after midnight.  They're about the size
of a large sparrow, I guess.  I don't think they're house sparrows although
it's possible.  Any other candidates?

edm@verdix.com (Ed Matthews) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr24.013112.23290@mailer.cc.fsu.edu> svihla@evax6.eng.fsu.edu writes:

> I was leaving work about three in the morning last week when I flushed
>a bird in a tree next to the sidewalk.  It took off emitting a high pitched
>squeaking that sounded about like my smoke alarm does when it goes off.
>I thought at first it might have been a bat, but subsequent
>nocturnal encounters proved that it was indeed a bird.  I usually see them
>around sunset - they hop along the ground in a field next to the
>building, emitting single high pitched notes frequently.  They seem to
>have a gray or dark cap with a thin white circle at the base.  The face is
>white, the bill is dark, then it gets complicated. The throat is barred -white,
> then black, then white, then black.  The markings are striking. The
>belly is a creamy white, the wings are grey or some other darker color.
>They spend a lot of time on the ground and I've seen them several times
>hopping around the lighted building after midnight.  They're about the size
>of a large sparrow, I guess.  I don't think they're house sparrows although
>it's possible.  Any other candidates?

From the location (ground), screaming voice, and two black bars, I'd guess
you're seeing killdeers, a common and noisy plover (sandpiper like bird).
Check a field guide to confirm.

--

Ed Matthews                                                edm@verdix.com
Verdix Corporation Headquarters                            (703) 378-7600