[rec.birds] Terndy Species Nicknames

hammy@ctt.bellcore.com (04/19/91)

newsgroups: rec.birds

Most of the names I've seen so far seem familiar.  Lorien and I have a few more though,
like:

BBB : Boring Brown Bird - any as yet unidentified sparrow, fall warbler, etc.  Of
			course as soon as it's identified it loses the "boring", unless
			it really is :-)
Chewink : rufous sided towhee - from one of their noises.
Leaf Bird : those small clusters of dead leaves that stay in the top of a tree well
			into winter.  (also garbage bird, mooring post bird, etc.)

John.
_____

jespah@milton.u.washington.edu (Kathleen Hunt) (04/19/91)

In article <1991Apr18.132518.0820@MEMPHIS.wif.ctt.bellcore.com> hammy@ctt.bellcore.com writes:
>BBB : Boring Brown Bird - any as yet unidentified sparrow, fall warbler, etc.
>			Of course as soon as it's identified it loses the
>			"boring", unless it really is :-)
I've heard this as a more charitable "LBB", for "little brown bird".

--
"We found on St. Paul's only two kinds of birds - the booby and the noddy....
Both are of a tame and stupid disposition, and are so unaccustomed to visitors,

grp@Unify.com (Greg Pasquariello) (04/22/91)

In article <1991Apr18.230929.24136@milton.u.washington.edu>,
jespah@milton.u.washington.edu (Kathleen Hunt) writes:

> >BBB : Boring Brown Bird - any as yet unidentified sparrow, fall warbler, etc.
> >			Of course as soon as it's identified it loses the
> >			"boring", unless it really is :-)
> I've heard this as a more charitable "LBB", for "little brown bird".

I've heard it as LBJ - little brown job.

> --
> that I could have killed any number of them with my geological hammer."
> (Charles Darwin)       Kathleen Hunt / jespah@milton.u.washington.edu

--

---
Greg Pasquariello	grp@unify.com

dgilles@darwin.genetics.washington.edu (Doreen Gillespie) (04/23/91)

In article <1991Apr22.083026@Unify.com> grp@Unify.com (Greg Pasquariello) writes:
>In article <1991Apr18.230929.24136@milton.u.washington.edu>,
>jespah@milton.u.washington.edu (Kathleen Hunt) writes:
>
>> >BBB : Boring Brown Bird - any as yet unidentified sparrow, fall warbler, etc.
>> >			Of course as soon as it's identified it loses the
>> >			"boring", unless it really is :-)
>> I've heard this as a more charitable "LBB", for "little brown bird".
>
>I've heard it as LBJ - little brown job.

Then there's always the infamous was-bird--"Well, it _was_ there!"

Also, in terms of turkey vultures, better known as tv's, be sure you
identify them as black-and-white(immature) or color(mature).

--
	"The average is one-third, and some have even less."
				--lecture quote

e343gv@tamuts.tamu.edu (Gary Varner) (04/24/91)

A birder friend and I coined "ADF" for "Another Damned Flycatcher."

My gloss on the family:  "God was having a bad day when he made
the flycatchers."
|    |  |____    Gary Varner                                    |
| ___|       |   Philosophy      "It's too late to die young."  |
| \       *  |   Texas A&M                     -- Gregg Brown   |
|  \/\      /   e343gv@tamuts.tamu.edu                          |

edm@verdix.com (Ed Matthews) (04/24/91)

In article <15184@helios.TAMU.EDU> e343gv@tamuts.tamu.edu (Gary Varner) writes:

My mom, who lives in Alabama, calls Carolina Wrens, Loudmouthed Yankees.
I'll call her and try to find out where she learned that.  Anybody else
ever heard this or know its provenance?
--

Ed Matthews                                                edm@verdix.com
Verdix Corporation Headquarters                            (703) 378-7600