[rec.birds] loons in migration

marcone@math.psu.edu (Alberto G. Marcone) (04/22/91)

On Friday I saw on a small lake here in central Pennsylvania a Common
Loon. After a little walk in the nearby woods I came back on the lake and
saw on the far end of it ten birds. It was becoming dark and they were
pretty far away but I suspect they were more loons. Is this possible?
Do loons migrate in small flocks?

Thanks,
Alberto           marcone@math.psu.edu

grp@Unify.com (Greg Pasquariello) (04/24/91)

In article <f*Gawdv1@cs.psu.edu>, marcone@math.psu.edu (Alberto G. Marcone)
writes:

> On Friday I saw on a small lake here in central Pennsylvania a Common
> Loon. After a little walk in the nearby woods I came back on the lake and
> saw on the far end of it ten birds. It was becoming dark and they were
> pretty far away but I suspect they were more loons. Is this possible?
> Do loons migrate in small flocks?

Usually loons migrate as singles or pairs.  It's possible that what you saw was
ten individuals rather than a cohesive flock. In Northern NJ, we would
occasionally get small groups of loons on the reservoirs, and rarely one or two
would spend the summer (no breeding evidence though).

--

---
Greg Pasquariello	grp@unify.com