[rec.birds] hOUTDOOR: hovering hunters on highways

lbechtle@uceng.UC.EDU (laurie bechtler) (04/27/91)

What bird is the most likely candidate for the ones I saw
recently on a highway trip in Ohio?  Due to the gloomy, cloudy
weather, the low light level and backlighting made the birds
look mostly dark with indistinct markings.  (Plus I couldn't
slow down and get a better look!)  Anyway, they were smallish
kite-like birds, hovering (flying into the wind) above the
median strip some 25 feet up.  The candidates from my field
guides suggest a merlin or kestrel, although it seems that
those wouldn't look so uniformly dark.  Maybe the lighting
was just bad enough.  I saw four of them (not together).

Thanks for ideas.

wb9omc@dynamo.ecn.purdue.edu (Duane P Mantick) (04/30/91)

lbechtle@uceng.UC.EDU (laurie bechtler) writes:

>What bird is the most likely candidate for the ones I saw
>recently on a highway trip in Ohio?  Due to the gloomy, cloudy
>weather, the low light level and backlighting made the birds
>look mostly dark with indistinct markings.  (Plus I couldn't
>slow down and get a better look!)  Anyway, they were smallish
>kite-like birds, hovering (flying into the wind) above the
>median strip some 25 feet up.  The candidates from my field
>guides suggest a merlin or kestrel, although it seems that
>those wouldn't look so uniformly dark.  Maybe the lighting
>was just bad enough.  I saw four of them (not together).

>Thanks for ideas.

	This was most likely the Kestrel.  On the wire, (where they
seem to sit a lot) they resemble a mourning dove from a distance but
I believe they sit more erect than the dove, which sits with more
of a slope to its back.

	Kestrels are tremendous aviators, I have seen them hover in
virtually the same spot, despite a stiff breeze (bird scientists:
are they able to compensate for a crosswind?  It certainly seems
like it....).

	We have quite a few of them in the sticks a few miles from
Purdue, and they are a pleasure to watch.  It is not at all uncommon
to see them working the median strips - I have also seen a pair working
a field near the Purdue Airport.

	Perhaps someone with specific knowledge of Kestrel habits
can confirm or deny this - I have observed that if they hover and
decide not to dive for the kill, they seem like they like to circle
around and come back to a spot perhaps some distance *behind* where they
last were.  (behind meaning with reference to the birds original
hovering spot)

	The ones I have seen also seem occasionally very "ballsy", in the
sense that they don't take any crap off of larger birds (ever see
a Red-Tailed Hawk running for it's life from a Kestrel?  I have...)

Duane