[rec.birds] INDOOR: Cockatiel Egg Temp.

chris@unislc.uucp (Chris DelPrete) (04/30/91)

Does anyone know the temperature range for cockatiel eggs?  What is the
maximum temperature they can take?  Will 10 minutes at 108 F kill the eggs?
My mother-in-law is trying the incubation thing for the first time and she
needs some advice.  Post or e-mail.

-- chris
chris@unislc

crossley@oakhill.sps.mot.com (John Crossley) (04/30/91)

chris@unislc.uucp (Chris DelPrete) writes:

>Does anyone know the temperature range for cockatiel eggs?  What is the
>maximum temperature they can take?  Will 10 minutes at 108 F kill the eggs?
>My mother-in-law is trying the incubation thing for the first time and she
>needs some advice.  Post or e-mail.

>-- chris
>chris@unislc

Wait! wait! Why is she incubating the eggs? I thought my Tiel was
not going to sit on her eggs, but I got a breeding box and put
the egg in it and she sat on it and produced 5 additional eggs.
our first hatchling is 3 days old and egg 2 is ready to crack.
our Tiel has become the model mother, feeds the chick, keeps it
warm etc. Let the tiel do the driving.

I did incubate the first two eggs untill I gave the tiel a chance
to sit on them. if your tiel has died then you can try this.

I put some cotton in a small covered corning casserole :^) and
the eggs on top of the cotton and place the lid on it. I used
a heating pad on low with the casserole on top and placed an
accurate thermometer in the dish, I kept them at 90/95 degrees
and that kept them live . in the end mama tiel got them back,
but I didn't kill the eggs.

THANKYOU who ever you were that said to put them back in the box!

john c.