[rec.birds] INDOOR: Re: Pet Macaw Questions

bamford@cbnewsd.att.com (harold.e.bamford) (04/30/91)

In article <1970001@hpgrla.gr.hp.com> robertm@hpgrla.gr.hp.com (Robert Moss) writes:

>  I am thinking about getting a macaw and am interested on any feedback from
>other macaw owners.

>    Hyacinth:    +Mellow,+Intelligent,+Puppy dog like temperment,
>                 -Price

One problem with a hyacinthine macaw is that they are so rare that
you are morally obligated to breed the bird.  And once a macaw has
been bred, they usually don't make good pets.  I am sure there are
exceptions but these birds go for around $10K.  Of course, I would
LOVE to have one, but I would be torn when it came time to breed it.

>I am looking at the bird as a lifetime pet.

Good.  Make sure your decendents will be willing to adopt the bird
when you die.  Depending on who you talk to, the life space of a
macaw is 75 to 150 years.

> ...  So my decision will not be taken
>lightly.  I would like to have a bird that is intelligent, but can bear life
>in its cage while unsupervised (while I am at work and at night).  I can
>probably spend a good 1/2 hour in the mornings and an hour of so in the
>evenings with the bird (though it will likely be out of its cage for the entire
>evening).  I also would like the bird to be personable and friendly (including
>towards strangers).

Greenwings are often the birds that zoos allow to be held by
children as they are very tolerant of strangers.  I have seen B&Gs
that are nice and others that are nippy.  I have also seen a
Hyacinth that was reputed to have put its beak THROUGH a trainers
hand!  These birds have individual personalities; you take a chance
no matter what kind you get.

> ...  From what I've heard about them, I would go for the
>Hyacinth if they didn't cost $7000.  So what do you netters think.

We discovered (while weaning our macaw) that a macaw has very few
requirements.  They are:

	1) Food.  People food.  From YOUR plate.  Ideally it should stick
	   to the wall when flung with enthusiasm.  Hard or dry food
	   should mix well with water to make a naseous-looking
	   soup.  Something that sticks to the beak is good if there
	   is a handy head of hair to clean it on, tho' sweaters and
	   couches will do in a pinch.
	2) Toys.  The more expensive and 'destroyable' the better.
	3) Your undivided attention 24 hours a day.

What could be simpler?

Seriously, the biggest problem is giving the bird enough
attention.  Actually macaws are easy to be around (if you have
hearing protection) so giving Pandora attention isn't much of a
problem.

>Also, I am questioning cage sizes.  Some cage manufacturers sell 24" x 36"
>macaw cages, while others say 36" x 48" is required to keep the tail feathers
>in good shape.  The median is on the order of 28" x 44".  So what is the real
>scoop (I know bigger is better, but what is a realistic size).

We have a 48 x 28 cage for Pandora.  It is just about right.  But a
greenwing or a hyacinth would need more.  Seriously consider
stainless steel ($$$$).  I wish Pandora's were SS; cleaning is a
back-breaking, tedious, disgusting job.

Good luck.

-- Harold

bdoern@hpldsla.sid.hp.com (Betty Lou Doern) (05/01/91)

We've had our blue and gold macaw for 3 years.  She was about 5 months old
when we got her and was very tame.  She's very playful and entertaining!
She's also very LOUD at times!  I would recommend as large a cage as you
have room and funds for, with 36 X 48 being a minimum.  Our bird has
become somewhat unpredictable in her response to people.  There are now
3 people who come over that she attacks (as in flies directly at their
heads)!  It's a little scary.  She's often tho very friendly with stangers
and especially with kids.

That's the scoop on our bird.  One more thing, she's not much of a talker.
So far she's learned only a few words.

Betty Lou Doern

mongo@mongo.EBay.Sun.COM (Joe Baker X33841) (05/03/91)

>(harold.e.bamford) writes:
>1) Food. People food. From YOUR plate. Ideally it should stick to the
>wall when flung with enthusiasm. Hard or dry food should mix well
>with water to make a naseous-looking soup. Something that sticks to
>the beak is good if there is a handy head of hair to clean it on,
>tho' sweaters and couches will do in a pinch.

Yes! Yes! Yes! Very funny and very true!!

>3) Your undivided attention 24 hours a day.
>Seriously, the biggest problem is giving the bird enough
>attention. Actually macaws are easy to be around (if you have
>hearing protection) so giving Pandora attention isn't much of a
>problem.

I agree.

Mine is older now ( Gonzo, B&G, 17++, sex unknown, most likely a
"caught bird" that long ago) and has alway been a late sleeper. In
looking for one, one might seriously consider an older bird that needs
a home.

On noise, Gonzo is not a noisy Macaw, only screaches when very scared
(not often in the last 10 years). Mickey (New addition 3 months ago, a
Moluccan Cockatoo, 4 years++, hand raised, female) is much louder in
her daily chatter, mostly due to being taught to whistle when younger.

Soberly consider the impact that these guys have on your lifestyle.
Just your PG@E bill might be a shocker in a cold spell!! I have had to
"white lie" my way into apartments with "just a bird in a cage! About
this big [holding my hands anywhere from 6-8 inches apart].". With
Gonzo this was not a problem because he has never bothered a neighboor,
but Mickey would be the kiss of death at this stage of her life. She is
getting better, after a strong effort of not reinforceing the "Bad"
talk and positive responses to the "Good", and a bit of negative
"Squirts" when sounds from "H-ll" fill the air. They are not dumb and
are very good at training people.

After the last 13 years, I could not tell you what is like to be
without a "big" bird. In honesty, there have been times in the past
when, with very few people around the house, I felt like finding Gonzo
a new home where there were more humans during the day to watch. You
must also consider that many people have a real fear of large birds,
and when a happy Macaw puts her/his beak down on their arm to step on
over and get its neck scrached, they may not be able to hold still,
even though they have been told what to expect and want to play with
the bird.

>>cage sizes.

Ditto with everyone else, big as you can handle. Gonzo has an Avalux,
traditional round and chromed. This is a great cage, about 5 feet high,
but they went out of business and I can not get one for Mickey. If
anyone has one out there, let me know, I will be happy to buy one.

I've been happy with my ol' Parrot, I think he is still pretty happy
with me. The new kid is fitting in well. They are darn fine buddies to
have.

If you can make the room in your life, just watching a Macaw try to
walk accross the floor to you is worth the price of admission. If I
could just figure out a way to hook a vacum to that tail.....

Best,
Joe