[rec.birds] INDOOR re: macaw questions

ttkunat@lims04.lerc.nasa.gov (DAVE KUNATH) (05/03/91)

     I don't think a beginner would have any problem hand feeding a baby
macaw IF that person was instructed correctly!  I have brought up 3 Congo
Greys from 5 weeks old without any problem.  The key is being taught
correctly how to do it.  If you don't have enough time to spend hand
feeding a baby bird, do the bird a favor and let someone experienced do it.
 If you do have the time, usually the breeder that you purchase the bird
from will help you.

David J. Kunath
Electronic Data Systems
NASA Lewis Research Center
Cleveland, Ohio

ooblick@intercon.com (Mikki Barry) (05/04/91)

In article <1991May2.161040.14160@eagle.lerc.nasa.gov>,
ttkunat@lims04.lerc.nasa.gov (DAVE KUNATH) writes:
>      I don't think a beginner would have any problem hand feeding a baby
> macaw IF that person was instructed correctly!  I have brought up 3 Congo
> Greys from 5 weeks old without any problem.  The key is being taught
> correctly how to do it.  If you don't have enough time to spend hand
> feeding a baby bird, do the bird a favor and let someone experienced do it.
>  If you do have the time, usually the breeder that you purchase the bird
> from will help you.

This depends entirely on the type of macaw.  Congo greys are not at all like a
macaw in hand feeding.  For example, hyacinths need special mixes of enzymes in
order to even keep them alive.  I would NOT recommend buying one still hand
feeding.  Other large macaws have strange weight gains and losses that can send
a beginner into a panic for a vet.  Unfortunately, vets expertise varies
wildly, and you can't trust one that hasn't hand fed out her own birds.  Charts
in vet books are often inaccurate.  This can cause misdiagnosis and unnecessary
treatements for a macaw that isn't as "light" as you might think.

Also, baby macaws have this strange habit of pumping their wings when you feed
them (conures do too).  If you aren't ready for this, you get food everywhere!

Finally, 5 week congo greys are feathering.  5 week macaws are not nearly as
developed.  Congos are born with down that protects them from temperature
changes.  Most other birds are not.  There is much more danger dealing with a
bird that develops more slowly than one that is sometimes ready to wean at 8
weeks of age.  Macaws take months.

Mikki Barry