[rec.birds] indoor goes outdoors

mike@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (04/30/91)

	I have recently come by some fascinating information about
populations of "released birds".  I had earlier speculated that
Huricane Ewa had ripped open many of the outdoor
aviaries popular in back yards on the Windward side of Oahu
some years ago.  It appears now that we have inherited a legacy
of parrots.

	This weekend a friend had a chance to talk to a local
expert in established populations of parrot species on Oahu.

	Following is a summary of what he remembers from several
hours of conversation while attempting to retrap an escaped African
Grey in a tree in his yard.  Before anyone screams, the person
doing the trapping is properly licensed to attempt to trap these
birds when the state gets complaints.  He gets first crack at
reclaiming the bird.  Second crack goes to a team armed with
shotguns (apparently not widely advertized pest control).

	Estimates of the parrot population of Central Oahu
place the breeding established level of birds at about 450.
They exist mostly in small colonies which have favorite roosting
trees they return to at night.  At least 20 species are
represented by breeding populations in the wild.  Papaya
growers are already suffering crop damage as some populations
have become agricultural pests.  One large parrot can strip
a papaya tree in ten minutes.

	Totally ignoring the populations of various love birds
and cockatiels too numerous to mention, the species listed as
having known established breeding populations include:

(please forgive the approximate names and descriptions):

-------
A number of types of Macaws

A range of species of Amazons

The African Grey

Cockatoos including Sulphur Crested, Umbrella, "Large White",and
a small species that has a pink and purple crown.

Many types of Conures, usually reported for their noise pollution.
-------

	In a recent case, a tree in upper Manoa was blown down
during a wind storm.  It had three pairs of breeding African
Ringnecks (dark green with a yellow ring around the neck and
red patches under the wings).  In one nest were discovered five
babies which were at last report alive and being hand raised.

	Estimates place the rural population (a relative term on
Oahu) at 250 birds minimum and the population in Honolulu proper
at 200.  These are counts of the known populations in established
roosting trees.

	I am convinced these populations probably started as the
result of wholesale destruction of aviaries in the winds of Huricane
Ewa nine years or so ago.  In that event established breeding pairs
were torn from their backyard cages and driven miles inland.
In the mountains of Central Oahu can be found a very wide range
of environment from dense rain forest to dry grasslands with
scrub trees, so they only had to take their pick and settle down.
In these Kapu or prohibited areas one can only imagine what the
populations must now be.  Here we are discussing only the populations
that have been reported by residents to the state and checked out
by onsite visits.

	It appears Oahu is rapidly becoming a very strange island
in terms of established bird populations!  It looks like we may
soon have some interesting conflicts as the shotgun crews show up
to "remove" a species that turns out to be endangered.  I
frankly do not know if any of the escaped birds that have established
in the "wilds" of Oahu qualify as endangered or if only hardy
common species are present.  I also do now know what would
happen if a bird ended up with status as "endangered" and
"accidentially introduced" and "agricultural pest" and "non-native"
all at once.  It appears to be an interesting legal problem.

smith@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Gordon Smith) (05/06/91)

In article <12722@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> mike@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu writes:

>	I have recently come by some fascinating information about
>populations of "released birds".  I had earlier speculated that
>Huricane Ewa had ripped open many of the outdoor
>aviaries popular in back yards on the Windward side of Oahu
>some years ago.  It appears now that we have inherited a legacy
>of parrots.
>
>having known established breeding populations include:
>
>-------
>
>The African Grey
>
>Cockatoos including Sulphur Crested, Umbrella, "Large White",and
>    etc...

Introductions of exotic (non-native) species has long been a major
problem in the Hawaiian Islands, beginning with the anicient
Polynesians who first settled here (bringing with them chickens
and pigs). The problem is that with the exotics come unfamiliar
diseases and habitat degradation. Hawaii has more threatened or
endangered native species than any other statee in the union, and
there is a long, long list of known extinctions.. It didn't begin
with Hurricane Ewa, but I'm sure that the storm added to the problem
both with additional accidental introductions and habitat
destruction.

It is difficult to find a native land bird on Oahu. ALL of the birds
that you find exept in the most remote, high elevation areas are
introduced - accidentally or otherwise.. Many people born and raised
here have never even seen a native land bird.

Gordon Smith

smith@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu