[rec.birds] Binoculars

rising@utzoo.UUCP (Jim Rising) (12/07/87)

Traditionally, birders were told to get 7X50 binoculars because (1) they were
easy to hold still, (2) let in a lot of light (thus little colour loss), (3)
and it was easy to get the bird in the field of viewing.  However, I have
used 10X50 for years, hand have never had any trouble with them.  I need the
extra magnification, myself.  Also, I know many others that use 10s without
difficulty, so I recommend that you at least look at these.

As for scopes, I have an old Baush & Lomb scope that still has excellent
optics, and I have played around with a number of different oculars.  I find
that my 40X ocular distorts colour on occasion (legs of Great Black-backed
Gulls look yellow at a great distance)--so I've become cautious with colour
judgements when using it.  15X ocular is great, but then I have 10X binoculars.
I find that I use my 22X-wide angle the most.  Colour is great, and I still
get some magnification.  I've looked through many scopes with zoom lens, and
find them disappointing.  Colour is generally awful.  As one friend commented
about his, "With this, I can get chromatic aberation of any size I want!"
--
Name:   Jim Rising
Mail:   Dept. Zoology, Univ. Toronto

bob@delphi.uchicago.edu (Rob Lewis [5-2503]) (11/30/89)

Does anybody have opinions on binoculars?  Particularly, are the Zeiss
10x40's that all the serious birdwatchers I've run into carry worth
the huge price?  Is there a good place to get binoculars at big
discounts?  What about zoom lenses, particularly the new Nikon zooms?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Rob Lewis

(My well-liked Nikon 7x35's were broken in an accident--I'm thinking
of getting something a little more powerful, since I often look at
birds out on Lake Michigan, but I don't want to carry a scope if I can
avoid it)

bob@delphi.uchicago.edu (Robert S. Lewis, Jr.) (02/01/90)

If anyone is interested, Leica recently introduced three new binocular
models that seem to be ideal for birdwatchers, though I haven't yet
found them in any store.  The three models include a new 7X42, an
8X42, and a 10X42.  They all have relatively wide field, they're
waterproof and armoured, and the 8X and 10X models are close
focussing.  They are relatively heavy, but their shape looks
comfortable.  I'd be interested in hearing the comments of anyone who
has had a chance to look through or use these binoculars.

jon@maui.cs.ucla.edu (Jonathan Gingerich) (02/01/90)

In article <7369@tank.uchicago.edu> bob@delphi.uchicago.edu (Robert S. Lewis, Jr.) writes:
>If anyone is interested, Leica recently introduced three new binocular
>...  They are relatively heavy, but their shape looks
>comfortable...

It's interesting that they are somewhat heavy.  I wonder if this is in
response to the recent Consumer Reports trials in which they didn't do so
well.  I got the distinct impression that there was a corolation between
the weight of the binocs and their performance on the test, although
this wasn't stated anywhere.
Jon. Gingerich

dvp@crg3.UUCP (Dan Vander Ploeg) (02/02/90)

> I got the distinct impression that there was a corolation between
> the weight of the binocs and their performance on the test, although
> this wasn't stated anywhere.
> Jon. Gingerich

Some of the top-rated binoculars in the Consumer Reports test were very
light.  Following their lead, I purchased a very light and compact
Pentax 7x model, and I am very pleased.  They perform very well, and
are easy to carry on your belt in the case they come with.  The world's
greatest binocs won't help you much when they're sitting on the shelf
at home.

tjo@edsel.siemens.edu (Tom Ostrand) (02/03/90)

dvp@crg3.UUCP (Dan Vander Ploeg) writes:

>> I got the distinct impression that there was a corolation between
>> the weight of the binocs and their performance on the test, although
>> this wasn't stated anywhere.
>> Jon. Gingerich

>Some of the top-rated binoculars in the Consumer Reports test were very
>light.  Following their lead, I purchased a very light and compact
>Pentax 7x model, and I am very pleased.  They perform very well, and
>are easy to carry on your belt in the case they come with.  The world's
>greatest binocs won't help you much when they're sitting on the shelf
>at home.

Everything else being equal, the lighter the binoculars, the better,
since you can hold them steadier.
Of course, it's never the case that everything else is equal.
I have the very light Nikon compact 9x25, which is excellent for the
price and size.  The main drawback is the narrow field of view, only
5.6 degrees.  Although the exit pupil is less than 3mm, these
glasses are very good even in low light situations.  I highly
recommend them.
--
        Tom Ostrand   		       | (ostrand@cadillac.siemens.com)
	Siemens Research Laboratories  | (609)-734-6569

jon@maui.cs.ucla.edu (Jonathan Gingerich) (02/03/90)

In article <22684@siemens.siemens.com> tjo@edsel.siemens.edu (Tom Ostrand) writes:
>Everything else being equal, the lighter the binoculars, the better,
>since you can hold them steadier.

Are you sure?  My impression was that the inertia of the mass helped steady the
lens.  CU's test involved reading eye-charts at distance.  There are other types
of tests one might like, like color matching samples at distance, but I'm sure
their results are accurate.

Jon. Gingerich

benefiel@wyse.wyse.com (Daniel Benefiel xtmp user id dept234) (02/07/90)

Please post the Consumer Reports issue that contained the review of binoculars.

Thanks!

dan benefiel
22997 cricket hill rd
cupertino, ca 95014
(408) 473-2531 (w)
(408) 257-7949 (h)

tim@watson.bcm.tmc.edu (Timothy Owen Lesniak) (06/01/90)

I'm considering upgrading from my current $25 binoculars to a pair of
Bausch an Lambe 10x42 Elites or Zeiss 10x40, neither of which I can
really afford.  After having tested them both and finding them nine
zillion times better than the ones I own, I can't determine which of
the two is better.  Any opinions on these two models or comparable
binoculars would be appreciated.

Thanks.
tim@bcm.tmc.edu

jim@hpfcso.HP.COM (Jim Tear) (06/02/90)

I find I can get good to very good binocs in the $100-$200 range
from discount stores or mail order.

Unless you're a lot more careful than I, binocs don't last forever.
They get rained on, dusty, dirty, dropped, stolen, mishandled by
friends and kids.

Also you might want different binocs for different conditions:
good daylight, close work, distant work, astronomy (Comet Austin
should still be visible), other night work, ball games.  And then
your might want a spotting scope and a telescope.

Sorry for making your life more difficult.

	Jim Tear  --  Hewlett-Packard  --  Ft. Collins, CO

J.M.Spencer@newcastle.ac.uk (Jonathan Spencer) (02/15/91)

Some time ago I sought opinions on binoculars for hawking and deer
stalking in woodland.  Three people responded.  However, I have looked
far and wide and sought many opinions.  In short, buy the best you can
afford and buy West German.  The Japanese are getting better, but they still
fall short of the West German kit.  In terms of value for money, the
east German Carl Zeiss are very good.

From  : Jonathan M Spencer
Mail  : Computing Lab., University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, NE1 7RU, England
Phone : +91 222 8229
ARPA  : J.M.Spencer%newcastle.ac.uk@cs.ucl.ac.uk
JANET : J.M.Spencer@uk.ac.newcastle
UUCP  : !ukc!newcastle.ac.uk!J.M.Spencer

jespah@milton.u.washington.edu (Kathleen Hunt) (05/04/91)

Now that the posts on spotting scopes have got you all in the mood, I hope
you won't mind answering the classic binoculars question -- which ones
should I get?  Actually, they're for my father, for Father's Day.  I'm
looking for something no more than a couple hundred dollars.  Right now
I'm using a pair of Bausch & Lomb 10x40's (the ones with the National
Audubon emblem) that are quite nice, but I don't know how they compare with
anything else, as they are the only decent binocs I've ever used (my previous
pair were K-Mart 7x35's, which cost a big $25 :-).
My dad had detached retinas recently and has trouble seeing in dim light,
for what that's worth.  Any ideas?

--
"We found on St. Paul's only two kinds of birds - the booby and the noddy....
Both are of a tame and stupid disposition, and are so unaccustomed to visitors,

misan@ra.abo.fi (Annika Forsten DC) (05/06/91)

In article <1991May4.002149.16123@milton.u.washington.edu> jespah@milton.u.washington.edu (Kathleen Hunt) writes:

>   I'm using a pair of Bausch & Lomb 10x40's (the ones with the National
>   Audubon emblem) that are quite nice, but I don't know how they compare with

Bausch & Lomb is a very good brand, I'm not sure which ones you have used
though.

>   My dad had detached retinas recently and has trouble seeing in dim light,
>   for what that's worth.  Any ideas?

Get something with at least x40.

annika forsten