[rec.birds] INDOOR--"tips" for new bird owners

rdmiller@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Ruth D Miller) (05/04/91)

There have been several requests for advice on selection of "first
birds" in this group lately, and I now feel morally obligated to
summarize "our" story that others may learn from it.  Please don't
anyone get offended: consider this a penance on my part...

When we got married 5 yrs ago we "gave" ourselves 2 Fischer's love-
birds.  I love all critters and am allergic to hairy ones so we
got birds--without looking into _any_ reading matter on care of
birds.

Since then we have lost 3 birds, each before he reached he first
"hatchday".  Jade died suddenly; we waited 2 mos and got Cadmium.
He died suddenly (same symptoms): we waited 2 mos and got Tangier.
She lived but turned out to be female, so we got 2 males.  One
(Jasper) paired with Tangier and began a family; he died before
the 5 chicks fledged.  By this time we were wise enough--I saw
him listless and fluffy, but did not try to catch him, and he
was dead next morning.

Finally, when Cinnabar became sick we got him to an avian vet--
again later than we should have; we force-fed him sugar water with
a spoon first or he would not have made it.  3 months, 2 coursed
of injections and one course of oxycycline later he is finally
well.  NOW I know I should have read BIrdTalk before buying any
pets.  NOW I know I should have insisted on _avian_ vets.  NOW
I know what a sick bird looks like and what to do for it--but
now Jade, Cadmium and Jasper are gone; I took responsibility for
them and did not give them the care they deserved/needed.  I'm
going to feel guilty for the rest of my life, but if those of
you considering getting "first birds" at least do some research
first and find and avian vet first their deaths may be worth
something, anyway.  Especially if the bird you are considering
is a large parrot, do not take the responsibility w/o the same
thought you should give to having a human baby.

Again please don't be offended--I just thought my experience
ought to be of value to someone else.  Thanks for listening.

Ruth

gbell@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Greg Bell) (05/05/91)

In article <1991May3.190809.14977@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> rdmiller@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Ruth D Miller) writes:
>pets.  NOW I know I should have insisted on _avian_ vets.  NOW

Just what is an "avian vet".  Is it a vet that treats ONLY birds?
Or is it just a vet that belongs to the Assoc. of Avian
Vetrinarians?

  Who:  Greg Bell                            Address:  gbell@ucsd.edu
 What:  EE hobbyist and major                  Where:  UC San Diego

rfarris@rfengr.com (Rick Farris) (05/05/91)

In article <19000@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> gbell@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Greg Bell) writes:

> Just what is an "avian vet".  Is it a vet that treats ONLY
> birds?  Or is it just a vet that belongs to the Assoc. of
> Avian Vetrinarians?

No, no, no!  An "avian vet" is one with feathers.

--
Rick Farris  RF Engineering POB M Del Mar, CA 92014  voice (619) 259-6793
rfarris@rfengr.com     ...!ucsd!serene!rfarris      serenity bbs 259-7757

ooblick@intercon.com (Mikki Barry) (05/06/91)

In article <19000@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> gbell@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Greg Bell) writes:

>Just what is an "avian vet".  Is it a vet that treats ONLY birds?
>Or is it just a vet that belongs to the Assoc. of Avian
>Vetrinarians?

An avian vet is a vet that has had experience in treating avian species.
Unfortunately, membership in the AAV is not enough.  *I* am a member of
the AAV, and certainly not a vet.  The only screening is the amount of
money you pay.  YOU have to take the responsibility to find out all
you can about the vet.  Talk to bird owners.  Talk to bird clubs.  Talk
to the vet.  Find out if she has hand fed babies to weaning.  Find out
how long she's been treating avians.  don't be afraid to ask tough
questions.  Your companion's life may be at stake.

rdmiller@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Ruth D Miller) (05/07/91)

In article <19000@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> gbell@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Greg Bell) writes:

>Just what is an "avian vet".  Is it a vet that treats ONLY birds?
>Or is it just a vet that belongs to the Assoc. of Avian
>Vetrinarians?

When I said "avian vet" I meant one with experience and training in
caring for birds.  That involves knowing what tests to do if needed,
and being equipped to take samples for tests and provide equipment
for treatment (syringes etc.)  I suspect many if not most vets who
are trained to treat birds also treat other exotics (anything not
a dog or cat: at KSU Vet School the major is Exotic Animals.)

Ruth

cb14@prism.gatech.edu (Debbie Bragg) (05/07/91)

In article <1991May3.190809.14977@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu>
rdmiller@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Ruth D Miller) writes:
>There have been several requests for advice on selection of "first
>birds" in this group lately, and I now feel morally obligated to
>summarize "our" story that others may learn from it.  Please don't
>anyone get offended: consider this a penance on my part...
(some stuff deleted)
> Especially if the bird you are considering
>is a large parrot, do not take the responsibility w/o the same
>thought you should give to having a human baby.
>
>Again please don't be offended--I just thought my experience
>ought to be of value to someone else.  Thanks for listening.
>
>Ruth

I whole-heartedly agree!  I have a B/G and we are talking about
the equal of a toddler.  My child requires lots of loving, lots
of attention, I have to keep my eye on him when he is playing
outside his cage.  He follows me around the house from room to
room and wants to help with what ever I am doing.  I could
go on and on.  But my point is the same as Ruth's, they are a
BIG responsibility.  Even the smaller babies need special
care and attention.

But I must add that my heart swells with pride because my
childs favorite word is "MOM-MA".  What a joy!!!