[rec.birds] SPOTTING SCOPE RECOMMENDATIONS NEEDED

cindyri@microsoft.UUCP (Cynthia RISKIN) (04/25/91)

I know it's a little overoptimistic of
me to expect ANYTHING of a spotting scope
<$200, but dat's all I got.

So unless you have a USED SPOTTING SCOPE,
in which case CALL ME AT MICROSOFT,
(206) 882-8080, Cindy Riskin [I will
soon be traveling around the west, so
I could pick up one within a 1000-mi
radius, perhaps, or we could do it by
mail from further], I gotta get what
I can.

So what I need to know is
1.  What brand?
2.  What features?
3.  What power?

I am going to use this for watching birds
in marshes, lakes, ponds, bays, estuaries,
and fields.

Thankyoo for your most generous information.

edm@verdix.com (Ed Matthews) (05/03/91)

In article<72035@microsoft.UUCP> cindyri@microsoft.UUCP (Cynthia RISKIN) writes:

>So what I need to know is
>1.  What brand?
>2.  What features?
>3.  What power?

I have been considering buying a scope for several years, but for lack of
money have been putting it off.  I'm just about to take the plunge, so this
discussion interests me as well.  I'm not really looking for brand
recommendations so much as a discussion of what makes a scope a good scope.

Some questions that I have:

I understand binocular optics: do scopes operate the same way?

What power range is most useful for birding?

What are the upper limits on power before heat waves and shimmer obliterate
the image?

What are pros and cons of fixed power versus interchangeable power?

What makes a tripod worth having?

What makes a tripod cumbersome?

Can reasonable quality optics be had affordably?  I'd love to have Kowa,
but it's not in my budget.

I will be more than happy to summarize.
--

Ed Matthews                                                edm@verdix.com
Verdix Corporation Headquarters                            (703) 378-7600

misan@ra.abo.fi (Annika Forsten DC) (05/06/91)

In article <1991May3.130407.9279@verdix.com> edm@verdix.com (Ed Matthews) writes:

   >So what I need to know is
   >1.  What brand?

Optolyth, Kowa, Zeiss, Nikon. Perhaps cheaper: Mirador.

>   I understand binocular optics: do scopes operate the same way?

Mostly, except for those that turn the picture around, i.e. you need to
turn your scope to the right in order to see to the left.

   What power range is most useful for birding?

20 wide and 27-30 (wide). 30 is cheaper than 20, but more difficult to
use in finding birds. It does bring the birds a lot nearer though. With
practice it's not too difficult to find flying birds.

Kowa's 30x is very good indeed, Optolyth's less so, but I believe they
are soon launching a new better one. On the other hand Optolyth's 40x and
20x are better than Kowa's. 40x is not for ordinary watching, it can usually
be used only for looking at stationary birds in good light, no heat waves
and no wind. I haven't used mine for years. I'm satisfied with my 27x wide.

   What are pros and cons of fixed power versus interchangeable power?

Interchangeable power oculars need more light. Often they are rather good
at the lower ranger, but less so at 60x. Here in Finland allmost everybody
use a fixed power lens, whenever I've seen somebody with an interchangeable
piece they are allmost always beginners.

   What makes a tripod worth having?

It is quite neccessary. Anything over 12x is unusable without one. You can
choose between shoulder, carwindow or ordinary tripods though. I believe
shoulder tripods are pretty popular in Canada, how is it in the US?

   What makes a tripod cumbersome?

The heavier they are, the steadier they are. But get one you can carry.
As a weak woman I've found out that a SLIK Master is about the heaviest
I can manage to carry around. Slik, Manfrotto, Gitzo are known brands.

>   Can reasonable quality optics be had affordably?  I'd love to have Kowa,
>   but it's not in my budget.

Here in Finland the cheapest Kowa is about $500 including eyepiece. Cheapest
tripod about $200. In the US they should be considerably cheaper.
What reasonable optics are probably depends on how much you go out birding.
Getting your eyes destroyed by bad optics is not such a good idea either.
I don't think you can get cheap telescopes, but there are lots of cheap
binoculars around.

Annika Forsten

mad@descartes.math.purdue.edu (Michael A. Dritschel) (05/08/91)

I would like to recommend yet another spotting scope, and that is the
one made by Celestron.  It has a 90mm (3 and 1/2 inch) aperature and
an effective focal length of, I believe, 600mm, yet is only about
350mm (14in)long with the sun shade.  This short length is achieved
with mirrors, rather than the usual lenses.  Various eyepieces are
available, and they are a standard size, so if you can easily find
different oculars for purposes other than birdwatching that you may
want to use the scope for, such as star gazing.  I generally use ones
that gives a magnifications of 30x and 40x.  There is a smaller scope
with cross hairs piggyback and aligned with the larger one for finding
and centering things. Celestron also makes a nice sturdy tripod.  I
think the scope can be had for about $400 and the tripod for an
additional $80 (It's been several years since I bought mine, so I
don't recall the exact figures---look in some of the amatuer astronomy
magazines like Sky and Telescope or Astronomy to find the best mail
order deal).  They also have adaptors so that the scope can be used as
a telephoto lens.  I think the optics are quite good.  I have mainly
used it for shore birds, prefering binoculars elsewhere.

Annika Forsten mentions in her posting on this subject that most
people find it impossible to use magnifications greater than 12x
without a tripod.  I have found there to be an exception with
binoculars and a steady hand.  I had borrowed an old pair of Zeiss
20x50 binoculars from a friend for a while and found them to be quite
nice to use, though it took a little getting used to.  On top of that
they were quite heavy.  I haven't quite been able to justify the
enormous cost of these things new, otherwise I would buy a pair myself
(my friend got his at a house sale for $80).

Michael Dritschel   mad@math.purdue.edu