[rec.birds] mating or ill ???

hubler@galaxy.lerc.nasa.gov (Dale Hubler) (05/11/91)

In article <1991May10.143739.10347@casbah.acns.nwu.edu> egeffner@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Eric Geffner) writes:
>who was hand fed.  He is very affectionate and warm, and requires a great
>deal of love and attention.  My concern is that he has been grabbing a hold
>on his leg, shaking his head up and down and then regurgitating food.
>typically the food is white blobs, however once in a while it is more
>fluid.  I have been told by numerous vets that it is mating behavior,
>however, it is occuring 3-4 times a day, and the episodes seem to be
>lasting longer.  Is he O.K. ????

Could you provide some more detail on this.  How long has the bird
been doing this?  You have asked numerous vets.  Have they seen the
bird or diagnosed over the phone?  Does the bird eat normally?  Does
the bird play?  Is it alert or does it sleep all the time and is
hard to arouse and lethargic?  I really have no idea what is wrong,
but these details may help somebody else who has more experience with
conures.  Please provide some more information.  If the bird has not
seen a qualified, i.e. experienced, avian vet you should do so
immediately.  Can the person who sold you the bird assist?

Dale Hubler
--
Dale A. Hubler  --  Sverdrup Technology  --  (216) 977-7014
                                             hubler@galaxy.lerc.nasa.gov