[rec.birds] Cockatiel & parakeet cohabitation?

Timothy Buck (timbuck@gnu.ai.mit.edu) (05/12/91)

I have a cockatiel and a parakeet who share a cage and I was just wondering
if this is unusual.

An unrelated question:  My birds are crazy about sprouts I grow from the
seed they eat...I've been sprouting the seed by putting some on a wet paper
towel in a jar on the windowsill, but this encourages mold.  Does anyone
know of a way to sprout seeds that doesn't have the mold problem?

Tim     <>     timbuck@gnu.ai.mit.edu or jbuck@vtssi.vt.edu

plemmons@nsf1.mth.msu.edu (Steve Plemmons) (05/15/91)

In article <15822@life.ai.mit.edu> Timothy Buck (timbuck@gnu.ai.mit.edu) writes:

>An unrelated question:  My birds are crazy about sprouts I grow from the
>seed they eat...I've been sprouting the seed by putting some on a wet paper
>towel in a jar on the windowsill, but this encourages mold.  Does anyone
>know of a way to sprout seeds that doesn't have the mold problem?
>
>Tim     <>     timbuck@gnu.ai.mit.edu or jbuck@vtssi.vt.edu

I used to get these seed things out of cereal boxes when I was a kid.
It was like a little plastic terarium(sp?).  It had a fine sponge in the
bottom that you soaked with water, and laid the seeds on.  So either the
sponge or the enclosed terarium effect did the trick.  Hey I don't know,
but mabye its worth a try.

Steve