[rec.birds] Mississippi Kite In Ca

hammy@ctt.bellcore.com (John Smith) (05/17/91)

Newsgroups: rec.birds

I'm not sure about MK's in california, but at least one has been wandering
around New Jersey for the last couple of weeks.  It was seen (according to
the hot line) over the Rutgers Ecological Preserve last week, by a group
in the middle of the final exam of their field ornithology class!!  Our
apartment just happens to overlook the preserve - but of course we didn't
see the kite.  Would have been a state-lister too.

On the subject of late rare bird reports.  I'm curious just how rare
tufted duck is in California.  I was there last march (that's march of 1990
:-), and while wandering through Golden Gate Park (the long thin one with
all the lakes?) I positively id'ed a pair - male and female - in the donut
shaped boating lake.  They were in a small flock of ring-necked ducks, and
came up to me begging for handouts.  I assumed that this was unusual, but
not extremely so.  I've usually had bad luck spotting anything but the most
common birds.  Lately though I've been reading several CA birding books
(we're going again in July) and the tufted duck is reported in "one was
seen in 1979..." terms, which makes me think my sighting was a lot more
unusual.

Anyway - good luck to all world series participants.  I'll see you in Cape
May!  (We're just doing a century run this year)

John.
_____