[rec.birds] Mississippi Kite in CA?

pstevens@Metaphor.COM (Paul Stevens) (05/16/91)

Unfortunately, it's taken me a few days to get this posted...

This last Sunday (May 12) I saw what I believe to be a Mississippi
Kite in the general area of the southern end of San Francisco Bay.
Specifically, it was in the fields that surround Shoreline Park
(next to the Amphitheater).  The field marks were quite definitive:
Falcon shaped and Peregrine-sized, slow languid flight and definite
WHITE PATCHES on the top inside base of the wings.  I know that this
Kite is only a casual visitor to California, but the Peterson _Hawks_
field guide mentions that they "wander far outside their breeding
area in late spring and late summer".  (Not mid-summer???)

How rare would this sighting be?  Has anyone else ever seen M-K's
in the Bay Area? Any input is appreciated.

   Paul Stevens                        {apple|decwrl}!metaphor!pstevens
   Metaphor Computer Systems           pstevens@metaphor.com
   Mountain View, CA

cwilliamson@pimacc.pima.edu (05/20/91)

TO: Chuck Williamson
FROM: Joe Morlan
SUBJECT: Mississippi Kite

 PS> How rare would this sighting be?  Has anyone else ever seen M-K's
 PS> in the Bay Area? Any input is appreciated.

Hi Paul,
Absolutely incredible.  There is only one previously confirmed Bay Area record!
Have you been able to get back out there and see if it is still present?  A
Black-shouldered Kite has been in that area for several months.  Did you see
that?

I have printed your description and will submit it to the
California Bird Records Committee and to the regional editors of AMERICAN BIRDS.
There are no prior records for Santa Clara County.
-= Joe Morlan =-  Saturday, May 18, 91 at 10:44 am, Albany, CA
.. "Let's get those CPUs pushed, Mr. Crusher."

--- via The Blue Wave v1.06 [NR]
 * Origin: The Twilight Zone (415) 352-0433 (1:161/88.0)
SEEN-BY: 161/88 300/16