[rec.birds] Tuffed Duck last year in CA

cwilliamson@pimacc.pima.edu (05/20/91)

TO: Chuck Williamson
FROM: Joe Morlan
SUBJECT: Tufted Duck

 JS> On the subject of late rare bird reports.  I'm curious just how rare
 JS> tufted duck is in California.  I was there last march (that's march
 JS> of 1990 :-), and while wandering through Golden Gate Park (the long
 JS> thin one with all the lakes?) I positively id'ed a pair - male and
 JS> female - in the donut shaped boating lake.  They were in a small
 JS> flock of ring-necked ducks, and came up to me begging for handouts.
 JS> I assumed that this was unusual, but not extremely so.  I've usually
 JS> had bad luck spotting anything but the most common birds.  Lately
 JS> though I've been reading several CA birding books (we're going again
 JS> in July) and the tufted duck is reported in "one was seen in 1979..."
 JS> terms, which makes me think my sighting was a lot more unusual.

A male Tufted Duck was seen at Stowe Lake during the period you describe.  The
female is probably the same individual seen with the male at the old Sutro Bath
ruins.

-= Joe Morlan =-  Saturday, May 18, 1991 at 10:47 am, Albany, CA
.. This message is $hareWare! To register, please send $20

--- via The Blue Wave v1.06 [NR]
 * Origin: The Twilight Zone (415) 352-0433 (1:161/88.0)
SEEN-BY: 161/88 300/16

sid@jato.jpl.nasa.gov (Sid Johnson WB6VWH) (05/20/91)

In article <1991May20.000309.6080@pimacc.pima.edu> cwilliamson@pimacc.pima.edu writes:

>TO: Chuck Williamson
>FROM: Joe Morlan
>SUBJECT: Tufted Duck
>
> JS> On the subject of late rare bird reports.  I'm curious just how rare
> JS> tufted duck is in California.  I was there last march (that's march
>
>A male Tufted Duck was seen at Stowe Lake during the period you describe.  The
>female is probably the same individual seen with the male at the old Sutro Bath
>
>-= Joe Morlan =-  Saturday, May 18, 1991 at 10:47 am, Albany, CA

I can't speak for other areas of California but several Tuffted
Ducks were reported on the Los Angeles hotline this year.  I dont
remember the time frame for sure either, but I may still have
the rports on file if you are interested in time and place.

Sid Johnson
Jet Propulsion Lab
Pasadena, Calif
sid@jato.jpl.nasa.gov