[rec.birds] INDOOR: Thanks, and gold capped-conures

egeffner@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Eric Geffner) (05/17/91)

I just wanted to say thanks to the people who replied to my post Mating or
ill ?? which asked about my conure's regergitating habit.  I am fairly sure
that it is a mating behavior.

I am really enjoying this wonderful bird, except some of his high pitched
screams for me to come and hold him.  I have two new questions....

1.  I would love it if he would learn to play with something, so far he has
completely ignored all toys, and whenever I try to engage him in playing he
is more content just being held and petted, does any one have any ideas on
how to engage him in self play ???  This is becoming more and more
important because I am not home for much of the day.

2.  Does anyone know if gold-capped conures are rare ?? the person who sold
him to me claimed that they are, and even mentioned that they are on the
endangered species list.

peace to all, eric

stewartw@cognos.UUCP (Stewart Winter) (05/17/91)

In article <1991May16.233434.14751@casbah.acns.nwu.edu> egeffner@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Eric Geffner) writes:
>2.  Does anyone know if gold-capped conures are rare ?? the person who sold
>him to me claimed that they are, and even mentioned that they are on the
>endangered species list.

According to the cites listings: CITES Control List
(Bird Section)  No. 8 as of 24 July 1989 with the January 18, 1990
Appendix I update.

  Cites II  - includes All parrots, parakeets, lories, lorikeets,
                 cockatoos and macaws not included in Appendix I.
                   (29/10/81)
    - this includes conures

  Cites I - the only aratinga listing I could find was:

Aratinga guarouba       Golden Parakeet               03/07/75  (2)

(2)  This is also known as the Queen of Bavaria Conure.

Technically, only those animals on Cites I are "endangered", however
Cites II listing implies that the species "in trouble", but as you
can see from above ALL PARROTS are on Cites II, so your gold-capped
conure can still be exported from the wild.

  Stewart
--
Stewart Winter               Cognos Incorporated   S-mail: P.O. Box 9707
VOICE: (613) 738-1338 x3830  FAX: (613) 738-0002           3755 Riverside Drive

In article <9653@cognos.UUCP> stewartw@cognos.UUCP (Stewart Winter) writes:
>  Cites I - the only aratinga listing I could find was:
>
>Aratinga guarouba       Golden Parakeet               03/07/75  (2)

   I overlooked the pyrrhura group which includes:

 Pyrrhura cruentata      Ochre-marked Parakeet         03/07/75

 Stewart
--

burhans@mizar.usc.edu (Mustang Sally) (05/17/91)

In article <1991May16.233434.14751@casbah.acns.nwu.edu> egeffner@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Eric Geffner) writes:

>2.  Does anyone know if gold-capped conures are rare ?? the person who sold
>him to me claimed that they are, and even mentioned that they are on the
>endangered species list.

Well I don't know the answer but I just wanted to pipe in. I have enjoyed
all the posts about indoor birds--more than I thought I would--including
the discussion of ethical issues about owning them, especially the rare
ones. As a new birder I recently joined the Audobon society and got my
first issue of their magazine which has an article about the parrot
trade. In particular they were focussing on illegal sales of parrots and
the effect this is having on the native populations of parrots. Very
interesting and disturbing. They also touched on some information about
legal sales and breeders and plans to require breeders licenses to try
and cut down on the black-market harvesting and selling of these
incredible birds. This got me to thinking that I hadn't really thought
of parrots in terms of being real birds--living in L.A. there aren't
any native parrots (or conures--I don't really know the diff) that I
know of but of course we have our famous released, breeding populations
screaming over various parts of the city. But those always seemed like
such an anomaly as I have tended to "think" of parrots as belonging
in cages.

At the Audobon bookstore they have a book called Parrots, A Natural History
that I glanced thru and it seems real interesting. One of its first points
was that people don't tend to think of parrots as real birds. It has many
beautiful pictures of parrots in their natural settings. I hope someday
to visit places where I can see this. Meantime I hope that people who
are responsible continue to breed parrots that are rare with a hope to
someday releasing them.

--
Jackie Burhans (burhans@usc.edu)
Data Stylist, USC Student Affairs

stewartw@cognos.UUCP (Stewart Winter) (05/22/91)

In article <32962@usc> burhans@mizar.usc.edu (Mustang Sally) writes:
>the discussion of ethical issues about owning them, especially the rare
>ones.

   I guess I believe that there is a great deal of good that aviculture
can do in regards to rare species ... unfortunately we aren't always
doing it.

>As a new birder I recently joined the Audobon society and got my
>first issue of their magazine which has an article about the parrot
>trade. In particular they were focussing on illegal sales of parrots and
>the effect this is having on the native populations of parrots. Very
>interesting and disturbing.

   There are numerous causes of parrot declines in their native
habitats.  They include:
  (a) illegal trapping (for use within the country)
  (b) illegal trapping (for destinations outside the country)
  (c) illegal hunting
  (d) habitat destruction
  (e) diseases (such as PBFD)

   Solving the problem of parrot decline involves taking on each one
of those issues.  We can do quite a bit about problem (b) by encouraging
the purchase of domestic bred (ie bred in country of purchase in captivity)
parrots.  Also, both the AFA (American Federation of Aviculture), PIJAC
(Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council) and WFW (World Wildlife Fund) are
supporting possible federal legislation which would phase out importation
of birds into the United States over a period of 5 years with some exceptions
(such as qualified breeders, zoos, etc).

   In some situations we can help with (c) (some parrots are caught because
natives use their feathers in traditional ceremonies).  While transport
of feathers of endangered bird is technically illegal, CITES has (as I
understand it) turned a blind-eye to the transport of bird-feathers back
into the native country being run by some organizations (not sure who is
doing this - maybe World Parrot Trust?).

>screaming over various parts of the city. But those always seemed like
>such an anomaly as I have tended to "think" of parrots as belonging
>in cages.

    Yes, parrots do belong in the wild, but they can also lead fulfilling
lives in captivity.  It would be a tragedy if these birds disappeared
from their native habitats.  If you would like some positive news, try
to get info the the RARE Center's efforts in St. Lucia, St. Vincent and
Dominica.  In these countries, native parrot populations are actually
increasing because the people living there are giving the parrots that
opportunity.

>At the Audobon bookstore they have a book called Parrots, A Natural History
>that I glanced thru and it seems real interesting. One of its first point
>was that people don't tend to think of parrots as real birds. It has many
>beautiful pictures of parrots in their natural settings.

   I would also recommend reading some of Tony Silva's (curator at Loro Parque)
writings as he has spent a great deal of time studying parrots in their
native habitats.

>Meantime I hope that people who
>are responsible continue to breed parrots that are rare with a hope to
>someday releasing them.

   This is a great ideal, but may be difficult to implement in practice.
Attempts to reintroduce the Thick-Billed Parrot have not been terribly
successful to-date.  The captive bred birds have no concept of preditor
evasion (many died by flying right in front of hawks) and have difficulty
recognizing food hanging on a tree that was previously served up in a bowl.
They are trying again with the Thick-Billed and are putting more effort into
it.  Optimistic estimates put survival rates somewhere around 20% in
the first year (I have no idea how this compares to natural survival rates).

  Stewart