[rec.birds] Mockingbirds

ldm@mtuxo.UUCP (the wharf rat) (06/15/88)

	I have a small (100x150) stretch of woods behind my house.  Over the
past few years it has become home to at least two pairs of mockingbirds.  Now,
the problem is that the woods are completely overgrown with poison ivy and
bramble, so I want to clear out the brush and re-plant with native species.
But, I don't want to change whatever it is that attracts the mockingbirds !
I've come to the conclusion that the only way to clear that mess is with a
small bulldozer; I'll preserve the trees, of course, but what else should I
make an attempt to preserve ?  Will Sept. be long enough to wait before
beginning ?

							ldm
<wherever>!ihnp4!mtuxo!ldm

gp@picuxa.UUCP (Greg Pasquariello X1190) (06/15/88)

In article <2028@mtuxo.UUCP> ldm@mtuxo.UUCP (the wharf rat) writes:
>the problem is that the woods are completely overgrown with poison ivy and
>bramble, so I want to clear out the brush and re-plant with native species.
>But, I don't want to change whatever it is that attracts the mockingbirds !
>							ldm
><wherever>!ihnp4!mtuxo!ldm

The poison ivy and the brambles are probably exactly what attracts the mockers.
They feed on the insects and berries provided by the brush, as well as get some
protection from it.  If you clear the brush and leave just trees, the mockers
will very likely abandon it.  If however, you plant native species that provide
similar food and cover, the birds may eventually come back.  Bear in mind that
they may not return until the new plants are a decent size to support their
requirements (assuming you are planting young plants), so it may be a year
or more.

Greg Pasquariello                   AT&T Product Integration Center
att!picuxa!Tinman!gpasq          299 Jefferson Rd, Parsippany, NJ 07054

KIV@PSUVM.BITNET (06/20/88)

I strongly urge you to examine (or have somone knowledgable in botany)
the plants that are supposedly invading your woods. It is likely that
these are native species which in fact may be attracting the mockingbirds
that you desire. Poison ivy (Rhus radicans) is a native species and
many birds feed on the fruits during the late summer. I strongly urge you
to investigate the food preferences of the mockingbird before you reduce
or eliminate species which may attract this species. Where do you find this
information? Try the library, the encyclopedia, a local bird club or Audubon
Society.
      For the size plot that you have, I sincerely doubt that you need a
bulldozer. Perhaps a rototiller or small garden tractor with a tiller
attachment. Also, before you rip everything up locate your plant source.
If you delay, the disturbed soil that you leave behind will surely yield
an abundance of opportunistic pioneer plant species, many which are alien
(introduced from other countries).
      Waiting untill September will not reduce the risk of Poison Ivy
infection, since the oils of the roots and vines is still active year
round, especially if you try to pull up the roots. Also, do not expect to
erradicate all the species. They are resilient, especially poison ivy.
However, waiting untillsongbird migration will reduce the risk of
chasing the Mockingbirds away.
      FINALLY, I DO NOT RECOMMEND THAT YOU ATTEMPT SUCH A RADICAL
ALTERATION OF YOUR PLOT. My notes are not meant to suggest that I condone
your actions. I interpret your inquiry in a way that does not suggest to me
that you know what you are doing. The actions you suggest will displace
many of the terrestrial (mice, voles , moles ,insects, snakes) organisms
from your plot for at least a year, perhaps more. This includes the birds
that you wish to attract. On the other hand, you will attract many introduced
species which are not native. Also, any soil disturbances that are near water-
ways or wetlands will most likely require approval from the state environmental
protection agency.

lp@well.sf.ca.us (Lily Pond) (05/16/91)

Has anyone else out there noticed what I have noticed about mockingbird
song?  I've never seen this written about, but would appreciate pointers to
articles if they exist:

The mockingbird does not change song patterns randomly, but rather always
along one of three paths:
Voice (raspy, smooth, etc)
Pitch or Key
Melody

Each time it shifts patterns it only changes one of these variables.  Older
birds are really extraordinary artists at doing this while a young one will
be really rather boring!

jwp@lucille.Princeton.EDU (James Pritchett) (05/17/91)

I've also noticed that Mockingbirds don't string their songs together
randomly.  In fact, frequently I'll listen to a mocker for an extended
period just to hear all the subtle connections of songs.  I'm a
musicologist (musicology=theory and history of music), and when I hear
a really virtuoso mockingbird, I frequently want to do an analysis of
the "development" of the song.  Maybe some day I'll tape a performance
and do just that.

James Pritchett
jwp@silvertone.Princeton.EDU

edm@verdix.com (Ed Matthews) (05/17/91)

In article <24798@well.sf.ca.us> lp@well.sf.ca.us (Lily Pond) writes:

>Has anyone else out there noticed what I have noticed about mockingbird
>song?  I've never seen this written about, but would appreciate pointers to
>articles if they exist:

There is a fairly long essay on Vocal Copying in Erhlich et al. _The
Birder's Handbook_, pp. 469-475.  Should be available at your local
bookstore.

Papers listed in the bibliography include:

Breitwisch R, Whitesides GH. Directionality of singing and nonsinging
behavior of mated and unmated Northern Mockingbirds, _Mimus Polyglottos_.
Anim Behav. 1987; 35:331-339.

Logan CA. Reproductively dependent song cyclicity in mated male Mockingbirds
(_Mimus Polyglottos_). Auk 1983; 100:404-413.

--

Ed Matthews                                                edm@verdix.com
Verdix Corporation Headquarters                            (703) 378-7600

lp@well.sf.ca.us (Lily Pond) (05/18/91)

I have been noting this for so many years, I'm quite sure that the song
"develops" along the lines I've mentioned.  Would love, however, so see the
sonogram, or whatever verifying, analysing measures.

Great that someone else has noticed!

adh@castor.geog.ucsb.edu (Allan Hollander) (05/21/91)

One aspect of mockingbird song I've always wondered about is
sometimes late in the evening (2 AM, even) a solitary individual
will still be singing.  Does anyone know much about this
behavior?  When I once tried to research it, I found literature
on night-singing birds, but nothing in particular on mockers.

Allan Hollander
Dept. of Geography, UCSB
adh@castor.geog.ucsb.edu

rdmiller@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Ruth D Miller) (05/22/91)

Re mockingbird song at night: it is a fairly well-known fact that
mockingbirds sing all night.  I once stayed up all night reading
a novel-you-can't-put-down, and our resident mocker kept me company
the whole night.  I commented on this to my father, and he told
me of a poem a friend gave him when he was new to this country
(there are no mockers in the UK) which discusses this bird keeping
everyone up all night, and ends with the author closing the window
on the bird to shut it up (it was sitting on the windowsill.)  Not
really literature rec.birds readers enjoy, but very appropo for
those dealing with such a determined songster!  I guess if you
want to tape birdsong a few hours of mockers after midnight would
be very convenient!

Ruth

lp@well.sf.ca.us (Lily Pond) (05/22/91)

Not only do mockingbirds sing at night, but they do so at half-speed!